johnking

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
I think that if you have placed the $1K deposit, they let you play with the configurations.
I'm sure every possible combination will be explored, documented and published almost immediately by those with access.
Yup that is pretty much how it would be. If you copy the link from the pre-order confirmation email and paste it in a new browser instance, you can see that it asks you to log on with your email and order #. Its possible that only the pre-order folks will be able to to create an account when Rivian releases the delivery configurator.

Rivian R1T R1S Rough Calculation of Rivian Orders, Delivery Times 1596680114992
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Yup that is pretty much how it would be. If you copy the link from the pre-order confirmation email and paste it in a new browser instance, you can see that it asks you to log on with your email and order #. Its possible that only the pre-order folks will be able to to create an account when Rivian releases the delivery configurator.

1596680114992.png
What link/URL? I can't find how to access this page.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student

1596680114992.png
Which link is that? My pre-order confirmation email just has my address and billing info and whatnot. No order number either, other than the one we’ve been finding in the source code

OP
OP
johnking

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
What link/URL? I can't find how to access this page.
Just copy the link in the email (Right-click on the link) and open it in a new browser instance. This is my windows email client. But pretty much this can be done in web mail or any of the clients available today. When you paste it in a new browser session (advisable to use another browser. Example - If you are using Chrome for email, then use edge for pasting the link in the address bar. This is to make sure there is no cache)

Rivian R1T R1S Rough Calculation of Rivian Orders, Delivery Times 1596683340684

On the Edge browser.

Rivian R1T R1S Rough Calculation of Rivian Orders, Delivery Times 1596684488820

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnking

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
Which link is that? My pre-order confirmation email just has my address and billing info and whatnot. No order number either, other than the one we’ve been finding in the source code

@Shzeph - Please click on the "View details" link in your email. It should open a page in your default web browser.

Rivian R1T R1S Rough Calculation of Rivian Orders, Delivery Times 1596683924342

In the browser window that opens, you will see something like this.
https://preorders.rivian.com/2454362234231243424225349500/orders/cqwqw-de7038-901238d-asddf49f02-31241

Rivian R1T R1S Rough Calculation of Rivian Orders, Delivery Times 1596684025538

Right-click on the page and select 'View Page Source'. This should be the case in Edge, Chrome, Opera browsers.

Rivian R1T R1S Rough Calculation of Rivian Orders, Delivery Times 1596684115368

In the file that opens up mostly as a next tab in the browser, do a 'CTRL + F' for "Order #". Hope this helps.

Rivian R1T R1S Rough Calculation of Rivian Orders, Delivery Times 1596684362441

Last edited:

Sponsored

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Ah ok, so it is just the source page order number. Ok. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t listed in the actual email and I was somehow missing that

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Perhaps those who went through this process with Tesla can shed some light on how the configurator will work. Thanks!
I don't think that's going to be much help as there aren't a whole lot of choices with Tesla but you can certainly "go through the process" with Tesla at their website. Just don't push the final button (unless you actually want to buy one).

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
I don't think that's going to be much help as there aren't a whole lot of choices with Tesla but you can certainly "go through the process" with Tesla at their website. Just don't push the final button (unless you actually want to buy one).
It isn't the process of ordering, as much as how they might prioritize the ordering process. For example, if you have Order #5000, and I have Order #50,000, how will they setup the configurator so you can turn your preorder into a purchase, before I'm able to do it? Maybe, as John King was saying, they will only allow certain Order #'s to be able to setup accounts at one time. Then, once you have an account, you're able to turn your preorder into a purchase. Just curious how Tesla handles the conversion process, from preorder to order, so it's in a sequence from low to high, by preorder number?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
WIth Tesla it is all rather mysterious. When you order you are given a reservation number. One day you check your account and you find a VIN number is there. That means that your car has been scheduled for production. If you don't check your account that often you may not know anything is going on until you get a text message telling you your car is on a truck and that you should contact the delivery point to schedule delivery. How they decide to put you into the queue before or after someone else in known only to Tesla. But it no doubt has something to do with what they want to do a run of at a particular point in time.

Other posts indicate that when you interact with the configurator you will be given a tentative delivery data. The key word is tentative. Where you go in the queue may well depend on how early you preordered and when you convert that to a firm order. Someone who configures after you did but preordered well before you did may be placed ahead of you in the delivery queue. Or maybe not. Or maybe it depends on how early he ordered and how late he configured. Or whether he is RJ's brother in law.... IOW there are so many possibilites that it would be foolish to try to guess.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
WIth Tesla it is all rather mysterious.
I hope Rivian demystifies this for us soon. There are a number of potential ways they could do this, but hopefully they are transparent with the process.

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
It isn't the process of ordering, as much as how they might prioritize the ordering process. For example, if you have Order #5000, and I have Order #50,000, how will they setup the configurator so you can turn your preorder into a purchase, before I'm able to do it?...
I'd suspect they'll let everyone configure at their convenience and then daily or weekly they'll start scheduling the build to fill the orders sorted by price, with the position number being the tiebreaker.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
WIth Tesla it is all rather mysterious. When you order you are given a reservation number. One day you check your account and you find a VIN number is there. That means that your car has been scheduled for production. If you don't check your account that often you may not know anything is going on until you get a text message telling you your car is on a truck and that you should contact the delivery point to schedule delivery. How they decide to put you into the queue before or after someone else in known only to Tesla. But it no doubt has something to do with what they want to do a run of at a particular point in time.

Other posts indicate that when you interact with the configurator you will be given a tentative delivery data. The key word is tentative. Where you go in the queue may well depend on how early you preordered and when you convert that to a firm order. Someone who configures after you did but preordered well before you did may be placed ahead of you in the delivery queue. Or maybe not. Or maybe it depends on how early he ordered and how late he configured. Or whether he is RJ's brother in law.... IOW there are so many possibilites that it would be foolish to try to guess.
This process is for vehicles currently in production. It was different when they were converting reservations to actual orders, which is what I believe the original post was asking.

I don't know if the configurator will coincide with the order process, or if it will be something for people to play with until they open up the actual order process.

IIRC, Tesla opened up the process to convert a reservation to an order to batches of reservation holders (starting with the earliest). For those that wanted one of the configurations available (M3 LR Performance instead of the Standard range as an example), the would pay an additional deposit and turn their reservation into a hard order. I believe the configuration program gave a time frame estimate when looking at different options. After a bit of time, they would notify the next batch of reservation holders that they were welcome to configure/place their order.

Rivian will likely do something similar, with earlier reservation holders getting invited to order sooner than later reservation holders. Delivery times will depend a bit on what people order and how they organize/prioritize production of different trims/options.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer

I've also heard that Tesla prioritizes the proximity to the fab, so the closer you are to it, the faster youll get your car.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
That's the kind of thing I had in mind when I implied that if you have ordered/reserved a model they want to do a run of soon you will probably be served sooner. But the real point is nobody has a clue as to how Tesla did it or will do it let alone Rivian so there isn't much point in speculating.

Only one thing is really clear and that is that my estimate of the number of Rivian pre-orders based on the relative number of members here and in the CT forum and Tesla's 700,000 reservations is in the toilet!

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
How many members does the CT forum have, roughly?
Sponsored