Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

So if I ordered today when should I expect to take delivery..?
Takes about as long as it took Goku to defeat Frieza on Namek. Maybe a tad longer.
Sponsored

Ventura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Red Canyon 20" / Prius
I think those numbers are close.

Just a few random thoughts:

I frequently have found myself wondering how many people had preordered by the time the configurator went live? I was VERY surprised LE was still available for a while to people who had not previously preordered. Or phrased another way, if tens of thousands of people had put down the initial $1000, why didn't they complete the configurator design process?

Fewer people actually put down the 1000 than we all thought, fewer LEs were being produced than we thought, a lot of people asked for the preorder refund over the years of waiting for Rivian to bring a product to market, or a combination of the three.

Admittedly this is anecdotal, but many of us are the only people in our circle of friends/family who have even HEARD of Rivian, let alone put down a 1000 bucks on a company that has never (until now) produced a production vehicle.

Rivian's vehicles are aimed at a VERY specific subset of the top 5% income bracket. They will remain niche products for at least the first several years.
Ah crap. I'm not even close to the top 5% income bracket. Do I have to cancel my order?

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Admittedly this is anecdotal, but many of us are the only people in our circle of friends/family who have even HEARD of Rivian, let alone put down a 1000 bucks on a company that has never (until now) produced a production vehicle.
Everyone in my circle of friends and acquaintances has heard of Rivian. One of them has even reserved a Rivian.

I might be responsible for all of my friends and acquaintances hearing about Rivian.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Ah crap. I'm not even close to the top 5% income bracket. Do I have to cancel my order?
You might be surprised, only takes 50K to crack the top 4.9% of annual income in the world.....

Rivian R1T R1S Rough Calculation of Rivian Orders, Delivery Times 1631834600177

Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
The above is quoted from RJ's August email.

The above is currently on their website: Rivian/Stories/Adventures Beginning Soon/Deliveries & Drives
Good precision. There are three lines; the third is running batteries. If that is the correct verb/gerund.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It is a little confusing, or maybe I am just confused, but if LE editions will be delivered by Spring 2022, how can non-LE orders be delivered in Jan 2022?

Tough to know.... maybe late 2023/ early 24. I don't have any real numbers, so it's just a guess. I just know that non LE will start early 2022.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It is a little confusing, or maybe I am just confused, but if LE editions will be delivered by Spring 2022, how can non-LE orders be delivered in Jan 2022?
Rivian doesn’t want to deliver a vehicle to an area they don’t have a support network in place. So while rivian is building service centers and hiring/training mobile techs there is overlap where non-LE delivers will be made in areas that have the infrastructure while some LE reservation holders are waiting on infrastructure to support their deliveries.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Lol...just about the 5%...

When I talk to my GF's friends and they ask how much a Rivian costs, I am a little embarrassed to say $80k. It is one downside of the Rivian for me is the new car/showy thing...never had any interest in owning a Lambo or Ferrari no matter the size of my bank accounts...

I have just started saying "a lot" when asked...and expect folks to look at me when driving...

I think those numbers are close.

Just a few random thoughts:

I frequently have found myself wondering how many people had preordered by the time the configurator went live? I was VERY surprised LE was still available for a while to people who had not previously preordered. Or phrased another way, if tens of thousands of people had put down the initial $1000, why didn't they complete the configurator design process?

Fewer people actually put down the 1000 than we all thought, fewer LEs were being produced than we thought, a lot of people asked for the preorder refund over the years of waiting for Rivian to bring a product to market, or a combination of the three.

Rivian's vehicles are aimed at a VERY specific subset of the top 5% income bracket. They will remain niche products for at least the first several years.

Sponsored

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Rivian doesn’t want to deliver a vehicle to an area they don’t have a support network in place. So while rivian is building service centers and hiring/training mobile techs there is overlap where non-LE delivers will be made in areas that have the infrastructure while some LE reservation holders are waiting on infrastructure to support their deliveries.
I think on top of that, they have the hassle of the "Non-direct to consumer" states where they literally cannot sell/deliver the vehicle to you.

I wouldn't be shocked to find non-LE orders starting before LE deliveries are complete due to both the lack of service centers near by and/or because of idiotic state laws favouring dealerships (and state legislatures too chicken/weak willed to challenge them).

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I highly doubt non-LE deliveries will start early next year given they wouldn't have finished with LE production. Mid-2022 seems more likely.
I placed my deposit Dec. 12th, 2018 but I’m waiting for a Max Pack. CS’s for what it’s worth have told me several times, most likely I’ll be contacted late November of this year, and Rivian will be shipping Max pack R1T’s starting in January 2022. So, yes there are many of us that chose not to go the LE (ie mid size pack) route, but may have placed a deposit years earlier than a LE holder.

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
I placed my deposit Dec. 12th, 2018 but I’m waiting for a Max Pack. CS’s for what it’s worth have told me several times, most likely I’ll be contacted late November of this year, and Rivian will be shipping Max pack R1T’s starting in January 2022. So, yes there are many of us that chose not to go the LE (ie mid size pack) route, but may have placed a deposit years earlier than a LE holder.
BigE, thanks for sharing. I am a bit behind you (May 2019) R1s le; when contacted by my guide I will ask about length of time to max pack: I could see myself switching if Max pack is only a few month difference . . . . Very exciting.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

I admit I picked an income% out of thin air. My point was that obviously this is not a car everyone can afford (I'll let you decide if that is good or bad).

Where I live for an 80k R1T I'm looking at 90k when you tack on taxes, insurance, etc. That's before you've even paid for upkeep, electricity, etc. That's not chump change for my family of 5.

Rivians

Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Ford Raptor, Subaru Ascent
Occupation
Commercial Lender
Lol...just about the 5%...

When I talk to my GF's friends and they ask how much a Rivian costs, I am a little embarrassed to say $80k. It is one downside of the Rivian for me is the new car/showy thing...never had any interest in owning a Lambo or Ferrari no matter the size of my bank accounts...

I have just started saying "a lot" when asked...and expect folks to look at me when driving...
$80k isn't a lot for a vehicle, much less a performance/EV. If you're embarrassed to say the Rivian costs $80k, that's a bit silly. Farmers are driving around in $100k trucks, a new 392 Jeep Wrangler is over $73k. This isn't 2009, it's 2022.
Sponsored