Sponsored

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Ford has partial ownership of Rivian. They have a financial interest in its success.
I do recall reading that somewhere but I don't recall any of the details.

I am trying hard not be negative but I don't see how or why Ford would help Rivian in a meaningful way deliver pre-orders. The real constraints are status of the production line(equipment qualification, choke points ect.), enough fully trained folks(currently over 1600 job postings), parts availability, parts quality, the number of pre-orders and so much more. I am thinking that Ford at best can advise. Also, it is possible that Ford's investment was for access to IP and not necessarily to make money from Rivian profits.

I find it very frustrating that Rivian does not share any information regarding its anticipated production ramp and number of pre-orders. Maybe they will once they start early production in July. I placed my deposit 3/20/21 so I am not expecting my R1T until mid - summer 2023.
Sponsored

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
While I certainly would not expect delivery by March or even in the first half of 2022, Rivian will likely set the goal of delivering all pre-2021 reservations by the end of 2022. Telling yourself it will be 2023 isn't a bad idea though to temper expectations. You're going to need to find another vehicle to bridge the gap either way, so best to plan for that now.
Ouch. Yours is among the first posts I’ve read on this forum and it’s not what I wanted to hear.
After months of delay and disappointment with the order of my first EV, Mustang Mach E, I was on the edge of ordering an R1S instead.

Much as I’ve learned to hate Ford for their horribly botched roll out, perhaps I’ll wait and see if they live up to the latest commitment. It would be a first.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Yours is among the first posts I’ve read on this forum and it’s not what I wanted to hear.
Read more posts and you will get many different opinions.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Ouch. Yours is among the first posts I’ve read on this forum and it’s not what I wanted to hear.
After months of delay and disappointment with the order of my first EV, Mustang Mach E, I was on the edge of ordering an R1S instead.

Much as I’ve learned to hate Ford for their horribly botched roll out, perhaps I’ll wait and see if they live up to the latest commitment. It would be a first.
Before you get too pessimistic, keep in mind my post was specifically addressing someone in Canada. I still wouldn't count on getting delivery in 2022 if you haven't reserved yet, but there's a chance depending what configuration you order and how fast Rivian ramps up production.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS

I wouldn’t hate Ford. They make amazing trucks.
as for botched roll outs… every single manufacturer is having the same problems.
‘’Think software and batteries.‘’.
they are not used to it. Even Tesla which is clearly the benchmark is having troubles. It’s is what it is.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I wouldn’t hate Ford. They make amazing trucks.
as for botched roll outs… every single manufacturer is having the same problems.
‘’Think software and batteries.‘’.
they are not used to it. Even Tesla which is clearly the benchmark is having troubles. It’s is what it is.
Think supply chain (shipping in particular). Even when the components/materials you need are available (availability is not a small issue), getting stuff shipped in a reasonable time and at an even somewhat reasonable cost is a huge issue right now.

Ford is getting slammed for not meeting the shipping dates they promised. Rivian is getting grief for not promising ship dates. Kind of a lose-lose situation all the way around.

Rivian is being vague about dates because they don't know. I guess some people want them to explicitly state "we don't know" to help them feel better about not knowing?

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Think supply chain (shipping in particular). Even when the components/materials you need are available (availability is not a small issue), getting stuff shipped in a reasonable time and at an even somewhat reasonable cost is a huge issue right now.

Ford is getting slammed for not meeting the shipping dates they promised. Rivian is getting grief for not promising ship dates. Kind of a lose-lose situation all the way around.

Rivian is being vague about dates because they don't know. I guess some people want them to explicitly state "we don't know" to help them feel better about not knowing?
I’m ok with your statement.
my question is… what wrong with being open and honest.

Rivan could just say…. Look we haven’t got the batteries. We haven’t competed the software.
were trying out best and our new release date based on what we know today is……

many people are hoping and waiting for a new truck. But… they are expensive, very expensive. I would guess the most expensive vehicle everybody has purchased. If they need it soon, due to their own personal situation .. well they need answers.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Rivan could just say…. Look we haven’t got the batteries. We haven’t competed the software.
were trying out best and our new release date based on what we know today is……
Probably because it's not that simple.

Sometimes it is likely waiting for parts for a particular build, other times permits to get a facility build/remodel started, or other times unknown delays in the construction process. Hiring and keeping quality people is a big issue for many employers right now, and that applies to the factory as well as field personnel. What people ahead of you in line do will have a big impact on the first orders. How well the ramp up goes and can they get the materials they need and people to build when they need to is a big question mark. Shipping is stupid right now. I know some distributors in multiple sectors that have told the bottom 80% of their customers "We can't ship/deliver to you. If you want it, you need to come get it or make your own arrangements". They can only allocate shipping to their top 20%.

There is little to no upside from a business perspective to open the books as to every issue that could potentially delay a particular vehicle for a particular customer.

Their new release based on what they know today is:
"R1T LE deliveries start in July". A simple statement that should be very easy to understand. But what people seem to really want to know is "when am I going to get mine?". That is what they cannot answer in almost all cases (other than the "by Spring" timeframe to complete all LE orders for both the R1T and R1S).

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Probably because it's not that simple.

Sometimes it is likely waiting for parts for a particular build, other times permits to get a facility build/remodel started, or other times unknown delays in the construction process. Hiring and keeping quality people is a big issue for many employers right now, and that applies to the factory as well as field personnel. What people ahead of you in line do will have a big impact on the first orders. How well the ramp up goes and can they get the materials they need and people to build when they need to is a big question mark. Shipping is stupid right now. I know some distributors in multiple sectors that have told the bottom 80% of their customers "We can't ship/deliver to you. If you want it, you need to come get it or make your own arrangements". They can only allocate shipping to their top 20%.

There is little to no upside from a business perspective to open the books as to every issue that could potentially delay a particular vehicle for a particular customer.

Their new release based on what they know today is:
"R1T LE deliveries start in July". A simple statement that should be very easy to understand. But what people seem to really want to know is "when am I going to get mine?". That is what they cannot answer in almost all cases (other than the "by Spring" timeframe to complete all LE orders for both the R1T and R1S).
look. If your ok with ……. yea will ship it soon. Great.
I am not that guy. Many here are not that guy either.

they promised you a truck. They took your money. Where are you now? Just sittting there waiting for a word, a video, a call, a tweet or what ever. If you ok with that. Great. I’m Not.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations

they promised you a truck. They took your money. Where are you now? Just sittting there waiting for a word, a video, a call, a tweet or what ever. If you ok with that. Great. I’m Not.
Then why are you here exactly?

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
For those thinking supply chain is a baseless excuse, here is a real example.

My brother-in-law makes swamp coolers for RVs. One of the parts he needs to build them usually takes 2 weeks once ordered. 2 months ago he put in an order and was quoted 8 months. Another part he normally can get in a week, tried to place an order and is being told they do not know when they will be able to fulfill the order.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Or just look at the average time ships are sitting at PoLB and PoLA now vs 24 months ago. The supply chain is busy undergoing physics therapy and may be ready to return to action in 9 months. Even getting materials that are made in America for construction is causing a slowdown. Think 8 weeks lead time to get high strength steel bar onsite.

Or, you know, Tesla passenger pulling lumbar supports out from their cars because if supply issues. Shit is sideways.

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent

Hey, cancellations are free and you get 1000 back to your account ?‍♂. Just saying

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Then why are you here exactly?
I own 3 electric vehicles - benchmark Tesla’s.
I want another one and I want a truck.
so obviously Tesla is the front runner. But, we have a Ford and Rivian looking to join the market.

that's why.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Yes but how long do,you have to wait and what could your money have made invested elsewhere.
Sponsored