Sponsored

ROOFTOP TENTS--What are your experiences with this type of tent?

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I'm debating whether or not to order the Yakima’s Skyrise HD Medium Rooftop Tent Rivian is offering. As rooftop tents go, it looks like a good one, but I have no experience with this type of tent.

Their price seems to be on par with the going prices out there for the same tent ($2,200), plus you do get a set of crossbars ($450) with the system.

Are these tents worth getting, easy to use, easy to get on and off the truck?? Any suggestions or recommendations you can offer?? Thanks!
Sponsored

2021R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P3D
We are glampers mainly airstreams the last 30 years. I would be very interested in the Rivian tent if it will be able utilize the cabin heat and air. I know that is probably over the top but other wise I am leaning towards a 20’ Basecamp.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
My son has a roof-top tent on a Honda Ridgeline and is very happy with it. For me (mid-70's), climbing up and down a couple times a night to pee argues for a trailer with a WC.

MBuster

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, R1S (waiting for Max Pack)
Occupation
Construction
I look at those and also more the hard ones. The soft like Rivian are like setting up a tent on the ground only more in the air where the hard ones pop open and almost done. Soft ones lighter and noisier when sleeping by reviews, but cheaper. Also many don;t like putting the cover off and on when when wet it is not fun.
Putting off and on is mostly for two people to do. I think over 100 pounds. Most say to buy locks on mounting and bars so nobody steal.
I like probably ikamper or roofnest more, but lots have the soft kind I see them driving around a lot.
I decide to get r1s and sleep in back like RJ show.

LoneI2anger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Good thread on the discussion already in the R1S forum. Personally, the Yakima looks like its great quality and relatively quick to setup however living on the west coast I can already imagine how any water sitting in all the nooks and cranny of the covers would just promote mold. Also looking into the ikamper to simplify the setup and for water tight seal while travelling

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/roof-top-tents.880/

Sponsored

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
I've had a soft shell for about three years and really like it - James Baroud Horizon, so a little different than Yakima, but similar pros and cons. Next go round I'll probably get a hard shell for the easier setup/breakdown and room for pillows and blankets in the tent.

TBH though I moved the tent from my truck to a trailer and lately I've been leaving the trailer behind and just sleeping in the bed (bedrug and a memory foam mattress make a pretty good alternative to the tent unless it's raining).

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I would be very interested in the Rivian tent if it will be able utilize the cabin heat and air.
That's be neat. I'm not sure if there's a convenient way to access the hvac from the tent though. With the air compressor and outlets right there though, I wonder if there's a novel aftermarket solution that could utilize compressed air.
Putting off and on is mostly for two people to do. I think over 100 pounds.
Oh wow, that's much heavier than I would've guessed. Yakima reports 115lbs. I would mostly be using one solo but now I have to consider how feasible install/removal is for me alone.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Oh wow, that's much heavier than I would've guessed. Yakima reports 115lbs. I would mostly be using one solo but now I have to consider how feasible install/removal is for me alone.
FWIW there are lots of reasonably affordable options for garage hoists for things like RTTs, kayaks, and rooftop boxes that should make this a manageable one-person job.

I'm on the fence with the ikamper versus the Yakima tent... much prefer the ease and the hardshell style of the ikamper but it would be pushing it for two people since I'm 6'4", whereas the Yakima has a little more wiggle room. Either way I plan to rig up a hoist so I can just lift it off the bed in the garage when not in use.

MBuster

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Construction
FWIW there are lots of reasonably affordable options for garage hoists for things like RTTs, kayaks, and rooftop boxes that should make this a manageable one-person job.

I'm on the fence with the ikamper versus the Yakima tent... much prefer the ease and the hardshell style of the ikamper but it would be pushing it for two people since I'm 6'4", whereas the Yakima has a little more wiggle room. Either way I plan to rig up a hoist so I can just lift it off the bed in the garage when not in use.
ikamper US is near Seattle in Kent and have showroom where you can see if you fit.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
ikamper US is near Seattle in Kent and have showroom where you can see if you fit.
Thanks for the heads up! Didn't realize they had a showroom (didn't even think to look!).

I'll have to try it out - looks like REI carries them now, so saving 20% at the member sale would be a nice win too.

Sponsored

MBuster

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Construction
I don't like the idea of having to pack up camp to run into town for some beers. Ground tent for me all the way. Same for camp kitchen.
This means problem of either bad planning or drinking to much :). I sometimes guilty of both

HalcyonRider

First Name
Segundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pathfinder, R1200GSA
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
This means problem of either bad planning or drinking to much :). I sometimes guilty of both
Yeah maybe so. :)

But... a week long camp, sometimes it's nice to just head into town to get some fresh ice or what not. There are many reasons. Maybe an emergency? Someone with a broken leg?

RTT just seems too expensive with no real bonus to it. Not for me anyway. I can pop my tent in a matter minutes. There is no convienence gains for me.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

At first, I was excited to add it to my R1S pre-order, but the more I thought about it, why would I want to carry two 60-70lb dogs up/down instead of just sleeping in the back of my R1S and putting the gear in Yakima RocketBox (already own) on the roof like I did w/ my Ford Excursion and Expedition?

So, I backed it out of my preorder. ;-)

I'm debating whether or not to order the Yakima’s Skyrise HD Medium Rooftop Tent Rivian is offering. As rooftop tents go, it looks like a good one, but I have no experience with this type of tent.

Their price seems to be on par with the going prices out there for the same tent ($2,200), plus you do get a set of crossbars ($450) with the system.

Are these tents worth getting, easy to use, easy to get on and off the truck?? Any suggestions or recommendations you can offer?? Thanks!

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I’ve got an iKamper X-Cover that I’ve used multiple times. It’s going to be way too big to put on the truck bed, but it’ll definitely fit over the cab. So that’s where it’s going. It‘s much larger than the Yakima and easier to put up and tear down since you don’t have to deal with an external cover. Only a hard cover RTT is superior IMO.

Rivian R1T R1S ROOFTOP TENTS--What are your experiences with this type of tent? 50822347037_d780b90f2e_b

I also have a Racor lift in my garage that I use to store the iKamper when I’m not using it.
Rivian R1T R1S ROOFTOP TENTS--What are your experiences with this type of tent? 51093989170_a8f5fdfba8_b
Sponsored