First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I'm curious ... we currently have a standard 2-3 person Smittybilt (2783) tent on the back of our R1T... it came off of our previous truck, and I was going to use it while we wait for the Rivian tent to become available. However recently we've been contemplating getting the Rivian tent _but keeping_ the Smittybilt and mounting one on the roof and one on the bed. Fun to put the kids in the other tent ... but, two tents? Ugh.

I was looking at the Roofnest Condor XL (https://roofnest.com/product/condor-xl/) and it's 74" Long, 55" Wide. If I put that on the roof, it would stick out right up to the starting point of the windshield, while sticking off the back of the roof air-dam by ~6" or so.

I'm curious if anyone has thought about doing one of these larger full-size tents up on the roof.. and what it might look like. I hate to admit it, but I do care a bit about how silly the tent looks ... after all, the truck is just so cool looking! :p

Anyone else considering a full size tent like this for the roof?
Sponsored

Denver_Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Range Rover Velar, 2017 Colorado ZR2
Occupation
SaaS Sales
Ah that would look quite interesting. I have the regular sized condor I’m going to just put over the bed

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

I'm curious ... we currently have a standard 2-3 person Smittybilt (2783) tent on the back of our R1T... it came off of our previous truck, and I was going to use it while we wait for the Rivian tent to become available. However recently we've been contemplating getting the Rivian tent _but keeping_ the Smittybilt and mounting one on the roof and one on the bed. Fun to put the kids in the other tent ... but, two tents? Ugh.

I was looking at the Roofnest Condor XL (https://roofnest.com/product/condor-xl/) and it's 74" Long, 55" Wide. If I put that on the roof, it would stick out right up to the starting point of the windshield, while sticking off the back of the roof air-dam by ~6" or so.

I'm curious if anyone has thought about doing one of these larger full-size tents up on the roof.. and what it might look like. I hate to admit it, but I do care a bit about how silly the tent looks ... after all, the truck is just so cool looking! :p

Anyone else considering a full size tent like this for the roof?
I am considering a full-size tent like the Condor XL, but putting it over the bed. I think the aerodynamics are better, even if it does stick out a bit. How much do you estimate it would stick out past the end of the truck if it is over the bed?

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
I’ve been thinking about this also. I think the perfect max length over the bed seems to be 60-65”. I believe the Condor XL is 74” long so would stick out at least 9”. Someone posted pics on Fb of an R1T with overhanging tent and it seems okay if your only mounting it for trips. I’m thinking of leaving my tent attached to cross bars so I can easily snap the whole tent on or off. Thoughts?

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Rivian R1T R1S Roofnest Condor XL on an R1T Roof? gyk7xj20zry81

Here’s a perfect side shot of the 60” Condor. The Condor XL is 14” longer so I don’t think it will work.

Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I’m thinking of leaving my tent attached to cross bars so I can easily snap the whole tent on or off. Thoughts?
Keep in mind that the 60" Condor is 135lbs, so you'll need at least two people to get it on and off the truck. I use a pulley system for Condor.

Rivian R1T R1S Roofnest Condor XL on an R1T Roof? IMG_4447

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
This is what the Condor Overland looks like on the back of the R1T.
Rivian R1T R1S Roofnest Condor XL on an R1T Roof? IMG_3174
Rivian R1T R1S Roofnest Condor XL on an R1T Roof? IMG_3170

Hyfly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
IMG_3174.jpeg
IMG_3170.jpeg
How is this setup working for you? I am thinking about doing this exact setup with the Yakima roadshower on the roof.

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
How is this setup working for you? I am thinking about doing this exact setup with the Yakima roadshower on the roof.
Works great

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Before you consider an oversized tent, you need to find out how much of it’s length can be unsupported. I had an iKamper Xcover that extended some 30” past the rear crossbar. iKamper recommends that this be no more than 25” or the honeycomb aluminum could buckle when someone is in the tent. I suspect this could be the case with the Condor XL and the reason I sold my XCover and replaced it with a SkyCamp Mini.

Sponsored

ElectrifiedOverland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Porsche 911, Mercedes ML350
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

We have a Condor XL because the kids are too big to fit with us in a smaller tent but not big enough to be out in their own tent. It's not perfect and I'd prefer a more flush fit, but the floor of the tent is rigid enough that it hasn't been a problem to have the crossbars off center.

Rivian R1T R1S Roofnest Condor XL on an R1T Roof? Screenshot_20230615-084840

Rivian R1T R1S Roofnest Condor XL on an R1T Roof? Screenshot_20230615-084920

Rivian R1T R1S Roofnest Condor XL on an R1T Roof? Screenshot_20230615-084939

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

IMG_3174.jpeg
IMG_3170.jpeg
I think this is the perfect set up its been on my list of dreams/ wants. But then I look at how much I still owe on the truck and cant justify it yet.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Before you consider an oversized tent, you need to find out how much of it’s length can be unsupported. I had an iKamper Xcover that extended some 30” past the rear crossbar. iKamper recommends that this be no more than 25” or the honeycomb aluminum could buckle when someone is in the tent. I suspect this could be the case with the Condor XL and the reason I sold my XCover and replaced it with a SkyCamp Mini.
Before we bought ours I contacted Roofnest about this. They said the amount of overhang (about 25") and offset on the bed mounted bars is not an issue structurally. The roof mounts are a little further apart and you could have it centered, so that would definitely not be an issue.
Sponsored