Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

Getting my R1T delivered today and I am glad to see a few local people that have setups that I can get inspired by!

Got to love forums!
Sponsored

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Overdue but I wanted to follow up here to note that the Rivian MaxTrax mounts work great on the Condor Overland. You'll need to use an M8 hex-head bolt or similar to fit the t-slots. It makes it a bit heavier to open but otherwise looks and works great.

Rivian R1T R1S Roofnest Condor Overland Roof Top Tent (RTT) + R1T 1663690268738

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Overdue but I wanted to follow up here to note that the Rivian MaxTrax mounts work great on the Condor Overland. You'll need to use an M8 hex-head bolt or similar to fit the t-slots. It makes it a bit heavier to open but otherwise looks and works great.

1663690268738.png
This looks great and really has me debating on the Rivian tent or this. I do like the open feel when camping and I feel like that is alot better in the Yakima. But the use of that hard case is great.

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
This looks great and really has me debating on the Rivian tent or this. I do like the open feel when camping and I feel like that is alot better in the Yakima. But the use of that hard case is great.
FWIW I'd seriously consider the iKamper X-Cover Mini if you want the more open feel but a bit more utility. It opens up to a full soft tent like the Rivian/Yakima tent, but closes to a hybrid hard shell with crossbars so it is a bit more rugged and can still carry accessories on top.

The Condor Overland style hard shell (similar to the CVT Cascadia or iKamper SkyCamp Mini) is definitely a little more claustrophobic, but has the advantage of being a lot stiffer in heavy wind. Tradeoffs all the way down!

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

@kylealden
Any longer terms update on how you like this set up?
Any issues with Condor in general?
Getting close to sale season and this rtt has definitely been on my radar

Sponsored

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
@kylealden
Any longer terms update on how you like this set up?
Any issues with Condor in general?
Getting close to sale season and this rtt has definitely been on my radar
Overall I'm still quite happy with it. I haven't encountered any new quality issues or real surprises. The only things I'd note as I get more comfortable with it:
  • It's really very tight when you pack it up. Some folks online claim they can pack bedding in there but I wouldn't count on it. I actually removed the rainfly because it closes much easier without it. It's not necessary, but it does help.
  • Overall I'd give quality and onboarding experience a B+. I broke a couple things (elastic loops, glued down velcro pads, etc.) when unpacking just because various flimsy parts weren't immediately obvious. It shouldn't be an issue if you are more careful when you set it up the first time (and read the instructions), and I didn't do any damage that bothers me in the long run, but it was a tad annoying.
  • The way the mattresses fold and the dimensions of the tent mean the bedsheet/condensation mat options I've tried don't really work. But that's mostly OK because:
  • A two person inflatable mattress (I use the REI Co-op Camp Dreamer Double Self-Inflating Deluxe Bed) fits great and adds a ton of warmth and should help with condensation. It's not necessary for a decent nights sleep (at least for me) but should make winter camping a lot more pleasant and it passes the wife test for actual comfort (as opposed to "camp comfort.") It's also a lot easier to fit sheets to. I don't use it for one night "pull over and sleep" camping, but if I'm setting up a proper base camp it makes a big difference. Bring a simple rechargeable pump to make setup easier.)
Having the accessory rails is great, and storing it on my ceiling hoist by the crossbars has been awesome. I like to keep the truck clean (no tent or other accessories) since it's my daily driver and I frequently haul mountain bikes on the tailgate, ski, etc., so it's critical to make adding/removing the tent super easy. It also is nice to be able to drop it to the garage floor and open the tent there next to my dehumidifier to air it out after a wet trip.

With the hoist I can drop the tent on the truck in five minutes by myself as a plug-and-play overland/camp kit , load up my car camping totes (stove, pillows, quilts, chairs, coffee gear, etc.), and hit the road ready to overnight anywhere. I keep a recovery kit, tools, and tow/tiedown gear in the sub-frunk/gear tunnel, so I'm ready to go without packing anything but clothes and food - I can be on the road 20 minutes after thinking "we should go camping." Still waiting on the camp kitchen to make it truly plug and play 😅

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

@kylealden
You mentioned the rei mattress previously
Can you confirm the foot half of the tent is still 55inchrs wide?

I have a sky camp mini clone and it tapers to 45inches making air mattress selection difficult

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
@kylealden
You mentioned the rei mattress previously
Can you confirm the foot half of the tent is still 55inchrs wide?

I have a sky camp mini clone and it tapers to 45inches making air mattress selection difficult
I don't have the tent handy for real measurements but there's essentially no taper in the Condor Overland - the only narrow point that will give you trouble is the center bracket where the tent's support poles are mounted.

The Camp Dreamer I mentioned is 55" wide the whole length and fits just fine, and you can still put a fitted sheet over it. The brackets press in a tiny bit at the "waist" of the mattress but not enough to cause me concern.

The only real hassle is reaching the valves to inflate it. I put the mattress in with the valves towards the top of the tent, and then open the tent's side window and stand on the tailgate to inflate with the pump I mentioned. Plenty of room that way and then it's easier to roll the mattress from the ladder side to deflate.

BTW I have now done some winter camping and the inflatable mattress made a big difference. I was able to get by with temps in the low-high teens with only the mattress and a Aeronaut quilt, though I would have been a lot comfier with a proper bag or some more blankets 😅. Gonna try it skiing this winter with some pre-heating using an electric heater and see how that goes.

Last edited:

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

I don't have the tent handy for real measurements but there's essentially no taper in the Condor Overland - the only narrow point that will give you trouble is the center bracket where the tent's support poles are mounted.

The Camp Dreamer I mentioned is 55" wide the whole length and fits just fine, and you can still put a fitted sheet over it. The brackets press in a tiny bit at the "waist" of the mattress but not enough to cause me concern.

The only real hassle is reaching the valves to inflate it. I put the mattress in with the valves towards the top of the tent, and then open the tent's side window and stand on the tailgate to inflate with the pump I mentioned. Plenty of room that way and then it's easier to roll the mattress from the ladder side to deflate.

BTW I have now done some winter camping and the inflatable mattress made a big difference. I was able to get by with temps in the low-high teens with only the mattress and a Aeronaut quilt, though I would have been a lot comfier with a proper bag or some more blankets 😅. Gonna try it skiing this winter with some pre-heating using an electric heater and see how that goes.
Thanks for the response.

I have been using zenbivy products (since I broke my back and comfort became more important than lightness) and they recently launched a couple model of their system.
I was greatly disappointed to go camping this weekend and find that the two air mattresses would not fit side by side (got two to minimize movement between my wife and I) but they could not be inflated. :/

May have to buy a new tent to justify my sleeping setup :giggle:

for cold camping, even in a rtt, I would recommend adding a space blanket
(military, not flimsy mylar)to set the sleeping pad/ bag on, so your body heat reflects back up, and to reflect cold away so the tent floor/ cold foam isn't sapping heat through contact
also, a basic wool blanket, saved me by adding a little bit of warmth and padding to the rtt foam when is dipped to low 30s in the desert this weekend.

go a long way in eliminating cold back/ cold butt

I used that set up sleeping on the snow

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

obfuscurity

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, Audi SQ5
I really love your Condor Overland + garage lift setup. My primary concern with the latter is a general frustration with software-enabled hardware that always experiences obsolescence when the company goes out of business or simply chooses to stop updating their software (inevitable with any mobile apps IME).

Does that lift come up with any failsafe control mechanism in case the app is unavailable or stops working?

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
I really love your Condor Overland + garage lift setup. My primary concern with the latter is a general frustration with software-enabled hardware that always experiences obsolescence when the company goes out of business or simply chooses to stop updating their software (inevitable with any mobile apps IME).

Does that lift come up with any failsafe control mechanism in case the app is unavailable or stops working?
Not that I’m aware of. It’s a reasonable risk to be concerned about. Wish it just had buttons or a remote.

That said, it’s at least a local Bluetooth connection, not service backed. as long as you have the app you should be good.
Sponsored