First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
For folks who may be interested, I got my Condor Overland installed on the R1T and went for my first camping trip up on Orcas Island over the weekend. I'm still on a broken ankle so while I'm cleared to drive, I'm not super mobile outside the truck, so I only grabbed a few pictures, but thought I'd share them here.

The tent looks super sharp closed and doesn't affect clearance at all. I'm not crazy about the canvas colors (the new iKampers look much sleeker when opened with the black/grey colorway) but the Roofnest looks great closed.

Pretty easy to mount (I needed to borrow a friend since my ankle is broken but two adults can lift it pretty easily). No noticeable effect to wind noise or range. The silver "Roofnest" badge is kind of obnoxious in the rearview mirror so I'm gonna try taking a heat gun to those to see if I can get them off.

It's a bit of a pain to close (the rubber gaskets are really tight and you have to pretty proactively stuff the tent fabric in as you close it). This will be less of a hassle once my ankle is healed - right now it's a lot of hopping back and forth 😄

I have crossbars for the tent but haven't installed them yet. My tentative plan is to mount my MaxTrax and a Roam Adventure Co storage box to the top of the tent so the box can be my dedicated car camping kit, then add my shovel/axe to a side of the rear. The extruded t-slot rails on the tent are super handy, although the ones on the hinge side are pretty limited since they will be up against the crossbars/bed rail when open.

Still trying to figure out the best way to carry mountain bikes on this setup without being super tall or blocking the tailgate - I'm not super crazy about swingout hitches since most of them add a lot of length and ruin departure angle. Suggestions welcome!

Happy to answer any questions you might have about the tent, truck, or the combo!

Rivian R1T R1S Roofnest Condor Overland Roof Top Tent (RTT) + R1T 1655147701240

Rivian R1T R1S Roofnest Condor Overland Roof Top Tent (RTT) + R1T 1655147470710

Tent is plenty spacious for two (I'm 6'4" and not small) and maybe a small dog. Our 70lb Berner slept in the truck. You can't put the awning poles in on the cab-side window due to the clearance of the window + spoiler, but I ran some Stratchit straps to the front crossbar mounts over the cab which worked great and let us keep the tent windows all open even in a heavy rainstorm.

Rivian R1T R1S Roofnest Condor Overland Roof Top Tent (RTT) + R1T 1655147659329

Rivian R1T R1S Roofnest Condor Overland Roof Top Tent (RTT) + R1T 1655147752355

Bonus with the pupper:
Rivian R1T R1S Roofnest Condor Overland Roof Top Tent (RTT) + R1T 1655147821171
Sponsored

Last edited:

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I had to wait for my Condor Overland to show up. When it did, my truck was in for service. So, used the Loaner to mount my tent to my crossbars.

Rivian R1T R1S Roofnest Condor Overland Roof Top Tent (RTT) + R1T 067D135E-7C6B-465E-AA2B-0B9CB5A2AD4F

Got my truck back from service but haven’t had a chance to go camping yet.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Can you mount a bike rack to the top of the Roofnest?

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
1up hitch mount? Pretty sure someone showed a picture that it gets out of the way of the tailgate, but you'd have to unload the bikes.

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
@kylealden I own a Condor as well. How are you attaching it to the R1 crossbars? Could you post a few close up photos? Thanks!
I just used the bracket that came with the Condor. I'll grab a close up when I can but you can see the basics in this shot:
Rivian R1T R1S Roofnest Condor Overland Roof Top Tent (RTT) + R1T 1655225959105

Seems sturdy enough but I'd like to do something more robust eventually. These look interesting but I haven't had a chance to measure the R1T crossbars for a fit: RTT Security Mounts – Wheel Every Weekend

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Can you mount a bike rack to the top of the Roofnest?
Yes but that's pretty high - just as high as having it over the cab. Bit of a pain with heavy mountain bikes and it would be a bummer to have nowhere to put them when the tent is open. (And I'd like to use these crossbars for other stuff - recovery boards etc.)
1up hitch mount? Pretty sure someone showed a picture that it gets out of the way of the tailgate, but you'd have to unload the bikes.
Yeah this seems like it may be the best option - it looks like the Equip-D is the only one that clears the tailgate when lowered but at least it's something. I wish they had a stock swingout version! Using the adapter adds so much length...

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I just used the bracket that came with the Condor. I'll grab a close up when I can but you can see the basics in this shot:
1655225959105.png

Seems sturdy enough but I'd like to do something more robust eventually. These look interesting but I haven't had a chance to measure the R1T crossbars for a fit: RTT Security Mounts – Wheel Every Weekend
I emailed them and they responded that they don’t currently have any clamps that work with the Rivian crossbars.

Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
1655225959105.png

@kylealden Thanks! My current crossbars (other car) are square/flat edged, so the Condor’s brackets make a tight and very strong connection.

I’m slightly concerned about the curved shape of the R1 crossbars. 🤔

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
@kylealden Thanks! My current crossbars (other car) are square/flat edged, so the Condor’s brackets make a tight and very strong connection.

I’m slightly concerned about the curved shape of the R1 crossbars. 🤔
I ratcheted them down until the metal plate curved a bit. Feels plenty tight with no forward or backward play. I'm not concerned, FWIW. Anyway you slice it the tent is held in place laterally by the vertical friction on the bolt (between the plate and the crossbar and between the bolt and the t-channels). If the connection was loose enough for the plate to slide against the crossbar, it would be loose enough for the tent to slide forward in the t-channels.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Now if only it had an openable rear cab window so you could duct cabin air into the tent for camping heat and AC!

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Now if only it had an openable rear cab window so you could duct cabin air into the tent for camping heat and AC!
Argh, so true!

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Great job and post @kylealden! Get better soon and get out there for more adventures. Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored