Sponsored

Roof Top Tents

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
I am a big fan of the Roofnest Condor XL - sleeps a family of 4, size of a queen, and fits well on my Honda CRV. 0% interest if you take the 1 year pay off. Was like 3,000. (Hard top). 45 sec to open; 2-3 to fully close and drive away.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
That is correct. It just leans up against the side of the tent. For what it is, the price of $1299 before the mattress and ladder compared to a CVT Mt Hood or RoofNest Falcon XL...oh and it has a longer sleeping area...win win.
I’m not sure if it’s a recent change but Go Fast Campers responded to an email noting that their ladder attaches to a slot system on their tent. They need to step up their website documentation game. Ha.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I’m not sure if it’s a recent change but Go Fast Campers responded to an email noting that their ladder attaches to a slot system on their tent. They need to step up their website documentation game. Ha.
Definitely...sounds like a startup EV company we are all familiar with. Hahaha. Go Fast definitely needs to put out an updated tutorial on the Superlite, opening, using, and closing. Unfortunately, no one that has bought it since the updates has put out any YT videos on it.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I just saw this on Instagram. Definitely does no look attached.

Rivian R1T R1S Roof Top Tents 90ECC2A3-5EC0-4634-ADD9-47762AB28FE5

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Ha. Nope. Sure doesn’t. Maybe the attachment point comes with their premium “Adventure” trim!!
And if you lose your balance & the ladder comes off, it becomes a Launch Edition.

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
I was looking at the iKamper Mini myself! Looks like the perfect size for the bed of the R1T.
So, does anyone know anything about the purported Rivian tent that is shown on the crossbars above the bed in the Rivian promo pictures...sure hasn't shown up in my configuration.

Also curious about whether the iKamper or other solutions would install on the Rivian crossbars...which are also purported...not in my current option list.
With respect to the iKamper, I have the same question. Although Rivian made custom bars, I’d like to think Rivian was aware of the 3rd party accessory world, and would be cognizant enough not to be so proprietary as to limit their customers to only accessory items they make. iKamper’s site says their tents are pretty universal in terms of bar attachment, so I hope Rivian bars are similar in shape to Thule, Yakima, etc.
Had a convo about this with the chat feature with Rivian. They said the tent they will be selling is in the latest video (closed) where you see the driver plug in during the rain while at the park/campsite. You can see the tent closed on the back of the bed, looks like a green cover.

I think I want the iKamper Mini probably regardless of what they offer just for weight and size and I have a lead on a used one at a discount if sooner rather than later. Only thing I'm worried about is it may not be compatible with there bars. I would hate to buy it now and have this situation arise. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Are you guys waiting to see the specs on the cross bars or do you think, at this point, they will be pretty universal?

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

@Fenwayfan77...not sure if you saw this, but GFC did come up with a way to attach the ladder to the Superlite. It is not what you think though. You lash it down with straps wrapped around the rungs to the tent base. See the video here,

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Had a convo about this with the chat feature with Rivian. They said the tent they will be selling is in the latest video (closed) where you see the driver plug in during the rain while at the park/campsite. You can see the tent closed on the back of the bed, looks like a green cover.

I think I want the iKamper Mini probably regardless of what they offer just for weight and size and I have a lead on a used one at a discount if sooner rather than later. Only thing I'm worried about is it may not be compatible with there bars. I would hate to buy it now and have this situation arise. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Are you guys waiting to see the specs on the cross bars or do you think, at this point, they will be pretty universal?
They will definitely be universal. If you go back through ALL of the videos and photos you will see all sorts of accessories attached to the crossbars from different manufacturers. Yakima(Tent, LoadWarrior), Thule + Tepui(Tent, Ski/Snowboard rack), MaxTraxx, Hi-Lift, Shovel.

OP
OP

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
@Fenwayfan77...not sure if you saw this, but GFC did come up with a way to attach the ladder to the Superlite. It is not what you think though. You lash it down with straps wrapped around the rungs to the tent base. See the video here,
Seems messy and overly complicated for absolutely no good reason to me. Not to mention, it’s completely different than what was described in an email I received from GFC. I’ll have to write back when I have a moment. Thanks.

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
This is turning into math class for me. Coming close to an effort in futility. Unless people with RTTs keep their vehicle's outside most of the time, have massive garage bays (height-wise), access to airport hangers, or take them off all the time (doubt it), I don't know how they do it. As noted previously, i'm working with 82.5 inches approximately for my garage entrance height. Decided that taking the RTT off and on during camping season would be annoying AF.

I could get away with the Roofnest Falcon (6.5 inches collapsed height) for now with my current vehicle - Acura RDX (65.6 inches high) plus a Rhino Rack (5.5 inches approx. with bars, feet, and footpad). However, once the Rivian occupies the garage with its 72 inch height, and crossbars (unknown additional height) i'd likely be SOL or way, way too close for comfort.

The investigation continues...
I have had the iKamper Skycamp 2x on top of my LR4 for a few years now. Parked in an underground garage with a 7’ 9” clearance. It’s a very tall vehicle with the included Rhino RackPioneer rack but I still manage to make into park as long as I put the LR4 into access height.

Have not moved the tent to the Rivian yet but think the R1T will be no taller than the LR4.

sizotty

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
R1T, MYP
Occupation
@theoverlandstory
Not a roof top tent… but I had my first drive last week and was able to fit my Gazelle T4 into the gear tunnel.

You do need to prop one side up so it’s at an angle, but hey it fits!

clover00

First Name
Clover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Occupation
Computer engineer
I was looking at the iKamper Mini myself! Looks like the perfect size for the bed of the R1T.

Yeah, I purchased ikamper , This model also has two skylights.
Fits 2 adults and a kid. 4 inner pockets for storage plus a shoe bag. Comfortable foam pad. Led light works great with a USB battery pack. Overall a great roof top.
Sponsored