Roof Top Tents

OP
OP

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
So, does anyone know anything about the purported Rivian tent that is shown on the crossbars above the bed in the Rivian promo pictures...sure hasn't shown up in my configuration.

Also curious about whether the iKamper or other solutions would install on the Rivian crossbars...which are also purported...not in my current option list.
With respect to the iKamper, I have the same question. Although Rivian made custom bars, I’d like to think Rivian was aware of the 3rd party accessory world, and would be cognizant enough not to be so proprietary as to limit their customers to only accessory items they make. iKamper’s site says their tents are pretty universal in terms of bar attachment, so I hope Rivian bars are similar in shape to Thule, Yakima, etc.
Sponsored

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
"You might be surprised that most modern sedans, wagons, SUV and crossovers only have a roof capacity of 165 pounds." Quote from this article at GearJunkie.

Now, that is for "in motion", not static.

My question is, how much weight total will the R1T and R1S support?

In my case it will just be two of us, but some of the tents I was looking at are for four people! Can our vehicles handle it?

Additional research: From the Yakima support site "The static weight limit -when parked-can be higher than the dynamic weight. Our maximum static weight rating is 600 lbs."

Two of us, plus the tent, sleeping bags and "stuff" could be pushing it... :blush:

Last edited:
OP
OP

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
"You might be surprised that most modern sedans, wagons, SUV and crossovers only have a roof capacity of 165 pounds." Quote from this article at GearJunkie.

Now, that is for "in motion", not static.

My question is, how much weight total will the R1T and R1S support?

In my case it will just be two of us, but some of the tents I was looking at are for four people! Can our vehicles handle it?

Additional research: From the Yakima support site "The static weight limit -when parked-can be higher than the dynamic weight. Our maximum static weight rating is 600 lbs."

Two of us, plus the tent, sleeping bags and "stuff" could be pushing it... :blush:
Yeah man, I hear you there! Hoping the Rivian racks will meet or exceed the Yakima static weight limit (i'm sure Thule is similar). I already told my dog I may have to trade him in for a Chihuahua.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

So, does anyone know anything about the purported Rivian tent that is shown on the crossbars above the bed in the Rivian promo pictures...sure hasn't shown up in my configuration.

Also curious about whether the iKamper or other solutions would install on the Rivian crossbars...which are also purported...not in my current option list.
The RTT on the Rivian R1T is from a company called Tepui. I'd imagine that they will make a couple variations for both the R1T and R1S...

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

For those of us in the Service, if you are unaware, there is a website called www.expertvoice.com. We can take advantage of awesome discounts on Yakima and others. For instance, Yakima's discount is 40% off up to $4000 a year. If any of their tents end up being compatible, I will definitely be using that discount...

***EDIT ***

There are also other “Teams” that one can join so even if you’re not military, there may be a team that you can join to be able to take advantage of these steep discounts.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MW_Riley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1974 Land Cruiser 2000 Land Cruiser 2009 Ducati Sport Classic 1000S 2011Ducati StreetfighterS
I've been looking at options myself, but haven't made a decison on how the pros/cons will weigh out in the end.
Definitely want a hard shell. Why take all the disadvantages of setting up a traditional tent and complicate it by having to climb around up in the air to do it?
That‘s what I thought till I saw a CVT being set up in person. Just uncover, pull the ladder and your done. Any accessories, annexes, awnings you might want to run take a little more time. Getting then cover off can be the hardest part. Many clips like the one below show how easy it is.

Also, Camp King RTT’s are amazing hard shell options, but $$$. Their biggest sell is that they’re load bearing so you can rack gear on top of them.

OP
OP

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
This is the one I will be going with due to weight and functionality - GoFastCamper Super Lite RTT
Have you identified how the ladder interfaces/attaches to the tent, if at all? I didn't do a ton of research/reading, but quickly noticed only a few IG pics showing the ladder. It looks like it just leans up against the tent, without being affixed/locked onto the tent. My interest is piqued, however.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Nice! I'm hoping to eventually plug on of the campers on the R1T. Hope the short bed doesn't make it super difficult for them to build out.
These guys think they can Home - Hiatus Campers . They're about an 90 minutes from me and have asked me to come over when I get the R1T. If the clamps will work with the rails and they can do the cab over sufficient for me to sleep in it...we may have a go.

Pioneer52

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Wagoneer, Jeep CJ 7
Occupation
Retired
Highly recommend the Tepui Hardshell, automatic opening, nice ladder,, very comfortable mattress, and above all trail proven for many off road miles on my Grand Wagoneer. Heavy though, 170 lbs. I think white as seen in photo is no longer an option.

Rivian R1T R1S Roof Top Tents 20200924_184454
Sponsored