Roof Top Tents- My Pet Peeve

Colorado3

First Name
Tres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LX570, Land Cruiser
Below is my summery of why I think they are dumb. I camp 40+ nights a year, and I have never even thought about getting a RTT. I also own a 2016 LX570 that is fully armored and has tons of Mods, so if it was something that I thought was remotely useful, Im the type that would get one, but they are insanely stupid.

-RTTs are extremely expensive, like ridiculous, plus the roof rack, its crazy. Get airbnb's for a year instead.
-Wind Noise while camping: You'er on top of a truck, instead of using your truck or trees for a wind block. Your extremely exposed to all weather up there.
-Wind Noise while driving
-Reduced milage
-Reduced payload- these things weigh a ton, insane to put that weight on your truck
-They are not faster to put up than a regular tent
-How am I suppose to pee in the middle of the night? Do you realize how drunk I get while camping, seems straight dangerous to be that high
-How is my dog or a small child supposed to get up there?
-You can't camp at good spots: you can't go camp by the river or under that shade tree in the grass, nope its the parking lot for you
-You have to level the vehicle-What a pain in the ass. Are you going to carry leveling objects to put under your wheels?
-Exposed: No shade, no tree cover for rain, no wind block. Its going to be hot up there when the sun comes up
-Once its set up you can't leave camp. You can't set up your camp and then go exploring in your truck at all, You can't hold down a camp while you're gone.
-They look really stupid, most people do not camp enough to have one of these
-If mounted to an SUV they can't fit in garages
-"Say what you will, I got my wife to go camping now because of a RTT" is not an excuse to own one. Your wife is weak, toughen her up or leave her at home bro. Plus, I have several tents, one of them is a huge Nemo tent that I put cots in and nice thick pads, I can stand up in it (6' tall). Its like an apartment in there and it costs about 400.
-Most of this can be said about the Camp Kitchen too, although that thing is pretty kick ass and at least its easily removable.

But most of all, you don't even need a tent 80%+ of the time (in the rockies). If its not raining or bugs, why put up a tent at all? I sleep outside on a cot 90% of the time under the stars.

These roof top tents have become a trend and I can't stand them
Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Below is my summery of why I think they are dumb.
Have you ever used one? If not, your opinion is null and void. You're just making a lot of assumptions.

If you're driving an EV and camping somewhere that has power, odds are good that when you're in the tent, the vehicle is going to be charging, so complaining about not being able to take the car somewhere is one of the weakest arguments.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
*creates an account just to rant for 400+ completely unsolicited words on why he doesn't use a RTT*

"I have never even thought about getting a RTT."
Rivian R1T R1S Roof Top Tents- My Pet Peeve R

-"Say what you will, I got my wife to go camping now because of a RTT" is not an excuse to own one. Your wife is weak, toughen her up or leave her at home bro.
Fuck off with your sexist bullshit.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
I haven't used a RTT but I love the idea. I have a truck bed tent that my kids love using when we go car camping. In those spots there are usually level areas. We do car camping twice a year so an RTT isn't really for that limited use. Majority of our camping requires a portage. We do that 3-4 times a year - gotta take light stuff plus your canoe.

I've heard great things about RTT's and people swear by them. In all honesty I would buy it from Costco (at least in Canada) and they are much cheaper than Rivian's options. Save at least $1,500 CAD.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Below is my summery of why I think they are dumb. I camp 40+ nights a year, and I have never even thought about getting a RTT. I also own a 2016 LX570 that is fully armored and has tons of Mods, so if it was something that I thought was remotely useful, Im the type that would get one, but they are insanely stupid.

-RTTs are extremely expensive, like ridiculous, plus the roof rack, its crazy. Get airbnb's for a year instead.
-Wind Noise while camping: You'er on top of a truck, instead of using your truck or trees for a wind block. Your extremely exposed to all weather up there.
-Wind Noise while driving
-Reduced milage
-Reduced payload- these things weigh a ton, insane to put that weight on your truck
-They are not faster to put up than a regular tent
-How am I suppose to pee in the middle of the night? Do you realize how drunk I get while camping, seems straight dangerous to be that high
-How is my dog or a small child supposed to get up there?
-You can't camp at good spots: you can't go camp by the river or under that shade tree in the grass, nope its the parking lot for you
-You have to level the vehicle-What a pain in the ass. Are you going to carry leveling objects to put under your wheels?
-Exposed: No shade, no tree cover for rain, no wind block. Its going to be hot up there when the sun comes up
-Once its set up you can't leave camp. You can't set up your camp and then go exploring in your truck at all, You can't hold down a camp while you're gone.
-They look really stupid, most people do not camp enough to have one of these
-If mounted to an SUV they can't fit in garages
-"Say what you will, I got my wife to go camping now because of a RTT" is not an excuse to own one. Your wife is weak, toughen her up or leave her at home bro. Plus, I have several tents, one of them is a huge Nemo tent that I put cots in and nice thick pads, I can stand up in it (6' tall). Its like an apartment in there and it costs about 400.
-Most of this can be said about the Camp Kitchen too, although that thing is pretty kick ass and at least its easily removable.

But most of all, you don't even need a tent 80%+ of the time (in the rockies). If its not raining or bugs, why put up a tent at all? I sleep outside on a cot 90% of the time under the stars.

These roof top tents have become a trend and I can't stand them
Colorado3,

You make some really good points. Based on your info, I'll likely limit my RTT purchases to just one.

Thanks! ??

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Colorado3,

You make some really good points. Based on your info, I'll likely limit my RTT purchases to just one.

Thanks! ??
Not me. I'm going to get an RTT for over the bed, one for over the cab, and one to mount on the roof rack of my teardrop!

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Oh man... i had some good laughs at both the original post and some of the comments.

That said... I am seriously thinking about a RTT. I've not owned one previously but have done a fair bit of camping, both front country/car camping and backpacking. And yes, getting my wife to go can be challenging. She's been, just not her favorite. The seeming ease (I have my eye on a Roofnest) with which they tents go up is really appealing, especially if the R1S will self level. That would be sweet (hope you're reading, Rivian!).

To me the big appeals are the speed/ease of setting up/breaking down and the comfort. I have a pair of Alps Mountaineering Comfort XXL pads. They're plenty comfortable but those things weigh nearly 10lbs each and they're big to store and rollout each time. The idea of having a nice, comfortable bed that can auto level go up in like... 60-90 seconds each night is HIGHLY appealing.

Curious if others here have used RTTs and what their thoughts are given real life experience.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Not me. I'm going to get an RTT for over the bed, one for over the cab, and one to mount on the roof rack of my teardrop!
Sounds like you could call your flotilla of RTT's the "Condorado 3".

I truly appreciate the input from @Colorado3, but will still go with the RTT due to the wet ground and the onslaught of slugs and snails I'll face in the PNW. I still have nightmares of waking up in an open tent at the Oregon Coast as a kid, only to see my sleeping friend with his head covered with Sea-slugs. Also, having no kids or dogs eliminates some of the problems mentioned. Speaking of elimination, my bladder still holds through the night. So I've got that going for me, which is nice. Earplugs and fine Single Malts will help with the wind-noise of being elevated. Granted, as I'll be in the R1T, with the tent above the bed, my fear of heights won't be an issue, and the increased road noise and mileage hit wont be quite as bad as perhaps they would be with the tent above the R1S, or on top of the R1T's cab.

I'll still carry a free-standing tent for those times when there's a setting I want to enjoy, or should I need one to hold the campsite while I roll through the countryside in the R1T. Again, thanks to @Colorado3 for making me think this through further, even if it did evoke memories of seeing my friend slimed as he slept.

OP
OP

Colorado3

First Name
Tres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LX570, Land Cruiser
These responses are golden! Well done!

Obviously my post is half joking and half pointing out the true downsides of RTTs. They certainly have their drawbacks that I don’t think many people consider before buying them. But you all should camp however you’d like, it certainly wouldn’t work for my style. I just can’t help but wonder how all the sudden half the 4x4’s in Colorado have RTTs on them.

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

While I agree with almost everything you said, I have two comments (one visual), “Happy wife, happy life.”

P.S.: The hard part was getting Bandit down from the tent, not up into it. ;-)
Rivian R1T R1S Roof Top Tents- My Pet Peeve 084DD117-0202-4457-A23A-3EB168A87570
Sponsored