tomis916

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Some good info here.
Great info and entertainment. The point about losing access to the bed is key for me. Even if it is only a 4.5 foot bed. I have a crew cab with a 6 foot bed so I'm already losing 1.5 feet - even though my 2001 Tacoma is quite a bit smaller in overall length than the R1T.

I went down the HiLow bunnyhole and now I'm thinking about lockers and a lift kit for my Tacoma. ?

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I just got a delivery yesterday. It is an iKamper Skycamp mini. Today, I changed my configuration and dropped the rooftop carriers. Instead, I bought them from the Gear Shop so it will reduce the vehicle price when it comes, and hopefully under the MSRP ceiling for the tax credit. Is it crazy to be buying accessories for a vehicle I have never seen in person, let alone have in my possession? I feel like I should be in some 12-step meeting.

mfarbs

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Toyota Prius V
Clubs

I just got a delivery yesterday. It is an iKamper Skycamp mini. Today, I changed my configuration and dropped the rooftop carriers. Instead, I bought them from the Gear Shop so it will reduce the vehicle price when it comes, and hopefully under the MSRP ceiling for the tax credit. Is it crazy to be buying accessories for a vehicle I have never seen in person, let alone have in my possession? I feel like I should be in some 12-step meeting.
Hey Al! I was thinking about a iKamper Mini but got stuck on the fact that it only opens on the passenger side and that could mess up kitchen access. And yes, we should all be in some sort of Rivian 12-step mtg. :)

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
Love the roof top tent ! I've seen and been in it in person - very nicely done and the ladder is very solid feeling - if you have the means - by all means get it âś…?

Sponsored

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
We crawled around the tent at the First Mile event. It was more comfortable than my bed at home. I need a new bed.

I am still torn between the R1T and the R1S.

If I can lay flat in the R1S and do the occasional camp inside it, I may forgo the tent.

I am kind of bummed the truck bed is too short for my bikes.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Hey Al! I was thinking about a iKamper Mini but got stuck on the fact that it only opens on the passenger side and that could mess up kitchen access. And yes, we should all be in some sort of Rivian 12-step mtg. :)
Just mount it backwards. If you're using the stock crossbars, the tent will sit below the roofline so the aero shouldn't be an issue. That's my plan anyway.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Just mount it backwards. If you're using the stock crossbars, the tent will sit below the roofline so the aero shouldn't be an issue. That's my plan anyway.
This should actually be better for an aero perspective anyway - backwards will give you a bit of a teardrop (kind of like a racing topper) and look slick :)

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

AltaTruck,

If you're looking for a sponsor for Autoholics Anonymous, please feel free to message me. The first step for me was canceling Auto-Trader and the Big 3 auto magazines. Doug DeMuro was next. Getting rid of access to YouTube altogether was shortly thereafter, and that was ugly.

As you can imagine, the entire process is really rough. Kind of cruel that the coins you earn over the years are replicas of classic car wheels. When my third one was exactly like those on my '65 Vette, I almost drove to Vegas for a Mecum Auction that weekend. Luckily, family members saw the signs and hid my keys.

We meet three times a week at our local Triple-A office. We call it "A AA@AAA" meeting. Family members are encouraged to join Autonon.

Peace be with you.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Why not wait and buy the crossbars separately once your preorder is converted to an order?

Sponsored

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

This should actually be better for an aero perspective anyway - backwards will give you a bit of a teardrop (kind of like a racing topper) and look slick :)
I think iKapmer generally discourages people from mounting backwards because the airflow will get between the shell and lift it. I guess only one side has a lip to deflect the airflow but since it will sit low behind the cab on the R1T, I doubt it will matter if it's mounted backwards.

Gabe1aron

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist
I think iKapmer generally discourages people from mounting backwards because the airflow will get between the shell and lift it. I guess only one side has a lip to deflect the airflow but since it will sit low behind the cab on the R1T, I doubt it will matter if it's mounted backwards.
I plan to get the i’’kamper mini as welll and mount it backwards

HackyMoto

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 (Gray), Toyota Highlander (Gray)
Occupation
Engineer

HackyMoto

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 (Gray), Toyota Highlander (Gray)
Occupation
Engineer
Okay, I’m a noob at this so forgive any silly questions.
Did you buy this for the R1T or the R1S? If the truck, I notice that the length of bed is 54 inches and the mini has a length of 57 inches or am I missing something? If you ordered the R1S, then I’ll jog on ?
Sponsored