Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I don't think this is right. The tent they're using has a built in lock on the crossbars. It would be wacky if Rivian removed that. https://yakima.com/products/skyrise-hd-3-md-tan
You typically have to buy lock cores separately(this is so you can ensure everything is keyed the same)

Since Rivian is including crossbars with the tent, they presumably come with matching locks for the cross bars and the tent feet. .

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
If you mount the RTT on the cab, can you still access all 4 doors with the RTT ladder deployed?

Bbernardo

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 Tacoma / 08 H3
You typically have to buy lock cores separately(this is so you can ensure everything is keyed the same)

Since Rivian is including crossbars with the tent, they presumably come with matching locks for the cross bars and the tent feet. .
To piggy back on this comment. Even if they don't match you can send the cores to Yakima and request a matching set. I wouldn't bet that the loading bars and the RTT will come matching.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
If you mount the RTT on the cab, can you still access all 4 doors with the RTT ladder deployed?
I’d say so.
Cheating a bit here, R1S+tent configurator image. The mounting points are in the same spots on both vehicles as far as I know.
Rivian R1T R1S Roof Top Tent - Should I? 1633718368832

To piggy back on this comment. Even if they don't match you can send the cores to Yakima and request a matching set. I wouldn't bet that the loading bars and the RTT will come matching.
I would hope if they’re providing them at the same time they’d also give you a set of eight matching locks.

Sponsored

Bbernardo

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 Tacoma / 08 H3
The weatherproof cover for the RTT can be rolled up and stored out of the way for the door(s) to be functional.

You can see how it rolls up in this clip where we are teaching our pup to get into the RTT. My roof rack on the H3 is a low profile so I would expect on the Rivians to be even easier to store it out of the way

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
The weatherproof cover for the RTT can be rolled up and stored out of the way for the door(s) to be functional.

You can see how it rolls up in this clip where we are teaching our pup to get into the RTT

I was concerned about accessing the truck doors while the ladder was deployed... sorry for the ambiguous question. Thanks for your reply...nice setup!

Bbernardo

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 Tacoma / 08 H3
I was concerned about accessing the truck doors while the ladder was deployed... sorry for the ambiguous question. Thanks for your reply...nice setup!

No worries! Yes you can definitely access truck doors with the ladder out.

Also RTT deployed means ladder is deployed. No way I'd have the RTT unfolded without the ladder lock and doing its part to support

Last edited:

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor

You can see how it rolls up in this clip where we are teaching our pup to get into the RTT. My roof rack on the H3 is a low profile so I would expect on the Rivians to be even easier to store it out of the way

I love it! I was trying to figure out how I was going to get my 65lb Husky in and out of my Crua Aer tent ( Crua AER - The Roof Top Tent: Reimagined | Indiegogo ) mounted on the bed of my R1T without a long (or spiral) ramp.

Sponsored

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Dang, that's a nice RTT. Wonder if they're still taking orders....
Yeah. I thought the inflatable insulated insert was particularly neat. Will come in handy here where temps change dramatically with elevation.

It's not listed on their web page yet, but many of their other projects appear to have started on Kickstarter/Indiegogo and ended up available at retail. My guess is they're waiting for the first batch to come in from the manufacturer. I hope to pick mine up later this month. Would be particularly nice if I had the R1T by then.

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

What do people think about getting a RTT that overhangs the back of the R1T, i.e., something longer than 54-60 inches? I'd like to get one that can (really) sleep 3 people, like the iKamper Skycamp 2.0, Roofnest Condor XL, or Tuff Stuff Alpha. I've seen other people have it with an overhang. Is it a problem with driving or is it more of an aesthetic thing?

Here is an example of a Roofnest Condor XL overhanging a Ford Ranger.

Rivian R1T R1S Roof Top Tent - Should I? Roofnest XL Closed 1

Last edited:

solaskaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X,3, R1T Duo Max
For those with experience with RTTs (especially the Yakima that Rivian is offering) - how cramped would it be with two adults and two young kids (4 and 6)? My wife and I aren’t tall (I’m 5’8” and she’s 5’3”).

We would be weekend warriors for sure doing 1-2 night trips, so it doesn't have to be perfect. But at least comfortable enough where we don’t annoy each other too much.
Just crawled into one with 2 - 8 year olds and myself @ 5'3" at a live Rivian event. The answer: you all will fit, but NOT lengthwise. The kids sleep sideways, then both adults sideways as well: off-angle or bend your knees is the only way to make everyone fit -- easy to do unless you are really tall. It's a bit tight, but I love it but pause at the price, and the zero-flexibility w.r.t. getting that tent on and off the truck.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I'd almost rather just sleep in the trucks. The only thing super-convenient is just climbing into the shell (The Rivian bed isn't long enough) or leaning the seat back flat (like the F150) and going night-night. Not everyone's idea of camping, but it works fine for me. Even more importantly, all this is doable at a wal-mart or rest stop.

I haven't been in a Rivian yet to see how practical that is. I'm afraid sleeping in the truck will be difficult. Tesla model s has the world beat there... so does a Prius.
Sponsored