Sponsored

Roof Top Tent - Should I?

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Personally, if I was in the market for a RTT I'd go hardshell RTT based on the handful of times I've been out with my buddy. Just unfold it and you are all set up in less than a minute. He has this on this Taco:
https://www.ikamper.com/products/skycamp-mini/

If it is a bit windy and he has the space to do so, he turns the shell top to face into the wind. Says it cuts down on the noise. Its more expensive than the Yakima, but he swears by it. He also uses it several times a month, even in cold weather, so the per usage cost is low for him.
If you are only going to use it a handful of times a year, the convenience might not be worth the extra cost vs a standard ground tent.

I think roofnest makes some that you can get crossbars for extra gear storage (e.g. maxtrax, shovels, etc) if that is of interest.
Sponsored

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
I
Just wondering for those of you that have used and had to store roof top tents before, how practical are they? I have almost purchased them in the past for my 4Runner and even my current Raptor, but don't like the idea of having to remove and store when not in use. Leaving it on all the time doesn't seem like the best option either - given the hit on range from the weight. I guess what I'm really asking is for you guys to justify or talk me out of the purchase of something I will probably only use 3-4 times per year, but really want. Thanks in advance!
m kinda on the fence too, but I have little ones that I know will get a big kick out of it and I hate setting up tents late in the dark and carrying all the sh$ Stuff up and down the trailhead to lock it up to hike so I’m thinking it still is worth it there. I guess depends on where you plan to go too because as a few have mentioned the parking lot may not be the best option but it’s what you got. Was not planning at first spending that kind of $ but then again if you got the camp kitchen then you got an RV and a rolling camp so roll with it. We are only renting this $ anyway … we can’t take it with us… or at least we still have a bit to make the final decision! ;)

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
I've really not been a fan of wanting it. For lots of reasons. However, the reasons I have it configured currently is because:

1) my kids would be beside themselves in excitement at the concept of sleeping up there.
2) I already had plans to set up a pulley system like @Sgt Beavis has (very nice!), which alleviates my concerns about storage, and
3) I hope that, for the times I don't take it off, it encourages more impromptu camp trips.

At the end of the day, I can afford it. I might not *want* to, but I'm willing to give it a try, not having had experience with RTT yet. Got to try someday.
My thoughts exactly

Bbernardo

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 Tacoma / 08 H3
Have had my Yakima Skyrise for a few years now and definitely enjoy having it. That being said we bought it from REI during the annual garage sale weekend and got a huge discount on a barely used one (rainfly poles were still in packaging). I wouldn't have spent full price on it but for less than half-off retail it was well worth it.

Sponsored

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
For those with experience with RTTs (especially the Yakima that Rivian is offering) - how cramped would it be with two adults and two young kids (4 and 6)? My wife and I aren’t tall (I’m 5’8” and she’s 5’3”).

We would be weekend warriors for sure doing 1-2 night trips, so it doesn't have to be perfect. But at least comfortable enough where we don’t annoy each other too much.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager

Some good info here.
Solid video, and jives with what I've seen, heard, and experienced.

I will note, that Smittybilt is the V1. The V2 has a telescopic ladder (like the iKamper had), and moved from velcro to a zipper for the cover.

They made a few other tweaks as well (which is why it made it to the top of my list).

And to the point in the video, you can indeed close up the Smittybilt with your sleeping bags in there (and can even add an additional foam topper to the mattress and it will still close up easily).

Size wise, the Smittybilt and Yakima are very similar (Smittybilt has more head room).

You could get away with 2 adults and a small/medium kid in there I think, but 2 kids... you will probably have feet in your face.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
For those with experience with RTTs (especially the Yakima that Rivian is offering) - how cramped would it be with two adults and two young kids (4 and 6)? My wife and I aren’t tall (I’m 5’8” and she’s 5’3”).

We would be weekend warriors for sure doing 1-2 night trips, so it doesn't have to be perfect. But at least comfortable enough where we don’t annoy each other too much.
3-person tents (Rooftop or not) are tight for 3 people.
Mattress area is about 56" x 95", with the sides sloping in so even 6" off the floor the area is effectively smaller.
Think of a little wider than a sheet of plywood. Wouldn't hurt to measure it out on the floor and see if you can lay out your sleeping bags to fit. My guess is no.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Sponsored

Bbernardo

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 Tacoma / 08 H3

My wife and I are similar height as you and have enough space in the RTT with our 45lb pup there too. You guys would be packed IMO.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
How feasible is mounting a RTT solo? Those lifts and such you can get for your garage are nice, but they don't help us apartment folk. 100+ pounds is a lot but I've never mounted a RTT before, so I don't know how unwieldy lifting them can be. Like if you need one fluid, straight lift of the whole tent onto the crossbars then it's probably not doable with one person, but if for example you could slide it into the bed and then just lift one side at a time or something, then it's possibly doable for one person.

It looks like the Rivian+Yakima tent can only be mounted as one piece. Does anyone make something akin to a modular RTT that you could mount in multiple pieces (e.g. floor+mattress+tent+cover+etc), which I'd expect to be much more feasible for one person even if it took longer?

I definitely like the idea of the RTT but if I can't set it up myself without a lift then it's probably not feasible for me.

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

I don't think there is any way 1 person can do it. Definitely need 2.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I don't think there is any way 1 person can do it. Definitely need 2.
You've obviously never met Hafthør Bjørnsson.

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90