Sponsored

Roof Top Tent - Should I?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
When I've played around with the RTT's, they setup way quicker (especially in adverse conditions). A friend has one and it's basically 3-4 minutes... regardless of sunshine, rain, wind, or "OMG I can't feel my fingers".

Really, the only part that takes any time is the little posts for the fly.

His also didn't have to deal with sitting in the soggy mess after all of the rain.

But, his tent also cost $1,800.. mine was $150.
fair points about wet ground. I’ve got an MSR Hubba Hubba that sets up in about 3 minutes, 5 if I’m taking my time.

there are faster tents
https://www.decathlon.com/products/easy-2-seconds-tent-fresh-black-2-persons
Sponsored

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
I've really not been a fan of wanting it. For lots of reasons. However, the reasons I have it configured currently is because:

1) my kids would be beside themselves in excitement at the concept of sleeping up there.
2) I already had plans to set up a pulley system like @Sgt Beavis has (very nice!), which alleviates my concerns about storage, and
3) I hope that, for the times I don't take it off, it encourages more impromptu camp trips.

At the end of the day, I can afford it. I might not *want* to, but I'm willing to give it a try, not having had experience with RTT yet. Got to try someday.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I’m also on the fence about it. The wife wants a travel trailer so I don’t think I would put a rooftop tent to good use. But it’s so cool looking and I can pretend I’m still in my mid 20s and camp anywhere.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I will note... look around for a used one first.

You can save (it seems) a pretty penny finding a good, gently used one off OfferUp or such.

I'm not so sure about dropping $2200-$2800 on one of these still.. $1200-$1500... I'd be way more comfortable with.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

You can save (it seems) a pretty penny finding a good, gently used one off OfferUp or such.

I'm not so sure about dropping $2200-$2800 on one of these still.. $1200-$1500... I'd be way more comfortable with.
On the other hand, buying one with an R1 gets you a 5 year warranty…

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That's the biggest reason I'm willing to give it a try. 5 years could see a lot of use.

ajclemente

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mountain Bike
Occupation
Landscaper
Last I checked the cargo crossbars have not yet been measured, no height and width. This would be good to know before settling in on a RTT

SwifferPNW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Mazda 3, '21 Zero SR/F
Not that it would be easy to steal, but do these lock to the crossbars?

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

With all things it is all about usage patterns. Do you camp 20 days a year in spots where you can park the car right where you want to camp? Does your camping party fit in the tent? (my guess is 3 people don't actually fit in that thing unless it is 3 little kids) If so, it would be awesome

Do you tend to camp 2 times a year? Do you need to sleep 3+ people in the tent? Do you like to camp at spots further from your car? Do you like to drive your car during the day and return to the same camp site at night? Probably not for you.

Sponsored

SurlyBurris

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2001 Land Rover Disco II, R1T
We bought a Thule Tepui Explorer Autana 3 a couple years ago that sits on the back of our Taco on an RCI rack. After many years of backpacking and sleeping on the ground, we'll never go back. It's so nice to just need a slight bit more than a trucks width of space to camp anywhere in a pinch and a nice mattress to sleep on. We have been in 2 very nasty storms with crazy winds and had no issues. The only downside is you have to break it down to leave camp, but it only takes 10 minutes to do so with one person...half that with 2. I too have a Racor lift that holds both the tent and the rack when not in use and takes very little time and effort to take it on and off. Can't wait to drop it on the back of my R1T and put the camp kitchen to use.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Oooooh... solid point. I can't speak for every RTT out there, but I don't think any of them offer a 5 year warranty (I'd be happy to be wrong here).

With all things it is all about usage patterns. Do you camp 20 days a year in spots where you can park the car right where you want to camp? Does your camping party fit in the tent? (my guess is 3 people don't actually fit in that thing unless it is 3 little kids) If so, it would be awesome

Do you tend to camp 2 times a year? Do you need to sleep 3+ people in the tent? Do you like to camp at spots further from your car? Do you like to drive your car during the day and return to the same camp site at night? Probably not for you.
Great points, and yeah, this is why I am looking into one, as we check those boxes. We no longer do the "pack it in" camping we used to when we were in our 20's, so it's all in state parks or such. And we generally go out 1-3 times per year for 3-4 days per shot.

But, yeah, if you only go out once a year (or less), I'd probably skip this and maybe save up for a trailer or such.

As for the cross bars, I'm pretty sure I saw measurements somewhere...

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
True but you could buy a new 500 dollar tent each year for 5 years and still have 150 dollars for drinks….

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

This looks like a great option. Is that powered or a crank of some kind?
Yea, it’s hand cranked. However, it comes with a bit that you can use with a drill for power actuation. I never useYou

I got mine off craigslist. It was less than a year old and I got it for $1500 under retail. It was a steal IMO. I can flip it now and still get almost all my money back if I want.
Sponsored