First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
For those that have a RTT, what sort of range impact have you had from mounting the tent?

Thx
Sponsored

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

I just completed a trip (trip report coming soon). I recorded all the data with and without a tent but have not really looked closely at it yet. But my casual observation of the range shows at most a 10% impact. A 10 mph headwind vs a 10 mph tailwind has a much bigger impact than tent/no tent.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

For me it's been negligible / unnoticeable.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
I do not believe if you’re driving over 60mph that it is “negligible”

That’s a huge source of drag.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I do not believe if you’re driving over 60mph that it is “negligible”

That’s a huge source of drag.
Do you have your truck? If so, what's been your experience?

I have driven with my RTT well over 60mph for many many miles and my experience is it doesn't impact my range enough to change how i think about range and/or charging stops (that's my definition of negligible).

Now whether that's your definition or whether or not you choose to believe me that's on you.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I can get 300 miles of range with 20” AT tires, tent/road shower on the bed, roof rack and awning going 60 mph in conserve. I do not believe I could do any better without that gear.

At least in my case the tent almost completely sits behind the cab, very negligible added drag.

Rivian R1T R1S roof top tent range impact? DD6D0461-34A8-4E22-AD88-1D2F1156BE77

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

What tent(s) are used?
I have the Thule/Tepui Kukenam 3 - it sits well within the crossbars left to right (like 3-4" on both sides of i recall) but hands over the tail gate by 3-4 inches.

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

I have had my R1T for about 3 weeks now and have put about 2000 miles on it. Nine road trips of greater than 100 miles. I have done the trips with a bike rack or a bed top tent or with no mounted gear. My three best efficiencies came with no gear. The tent looks to cut the efficiency 5 to 10%. I have the 21 inch road tires and all these trips were in conserve mode at the Low ride height. In all cases I am very impressed with the efficiency and range. I tried to note if there were headwinds/tailwinds as that makes as much or more of a difference than mounted gear.

Note: The trip with the tent was a camping trip to the Northshore of Lake Superior in MN and the trip was broken into two legs with a charging stop at Moose Lake, MN

The length of the bars is proportional to the efficiency as reported by the on-board trip computer. The speed is the avg speed as reported by the trip computer. Much of the driving to the cabin and camping was on I-35 with the cruise control set to 70mph. But in most cases there was also a good chunk of time on state highways at 55 to 60 mph with slowdowns between the small towns along the way.

Rivian R1T R1S roof top tent range impact? Rivian road trips

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I can't get over 370 miles estimated range. That's just wild to me. I'd only see that if all I was doing was driving downhill (20" ATs).
Sponsored