Sponsored

Roof Top Camping - Rivian Lights/Noises…

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The self leveling feature already exists in the car, now it’s just a matter of getting it to hold position during camping.
Praytell where? I tried everything I could to get it to level out and it was just keeping all four corners about the same distance off the ground in each mode. Actual level would be pretty useless for circumstances of driving.

MichaelD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter 4x4 camper van (170)
Praytell where?
I think it currently auto-levels when towing and when carrying a heavy load. Not sure if the latter includes side-to-side leveling... I don't have mine yet to test.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I think it currently auto-levels when towing and when carrying a heavy load. Not sure if the latter includes side-to-side leveling... I don't have mine yet to test.
Load leveling is equalizing the distance from the ground to the truck, it's not a gravity level unfortunately.

You can actually see it happen in the Rivian video about storage. The truck comes back up after all the stuff is in since it likely got 'turned on' when they started retracting the cover.
@ about 49 seconds in.

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
We just completed our first night camping in our old Roof Top Tent on the R1T - and overall it was great.. but we noticed something. When we lock the car (because our phones were charging in there, wallets/purses in there, etc), the truck seemed unhappy to have people sleeping on top of it. We have a roof top tent mounted to the cargo rails, and about every 10m the car would make a chirpy type noise. Unlocking the car caused it to go to sleep and ignore us but that has its own issues.

I’m curious if anyone else has done this yet and has any tips? I am planning on providing some feedback to Rivian, but here are my thoughts. There needs to be a ”camping mode”:

* The battery fans do not start up each time we unlock the car, we’re not driving anywhere.
* The interior HVAC and Stereo do not turn on each time we go into the car to get something
* The exterior lights go into off/dim mode so that when we DO unlock the car at night, we don’t wake up the poor suckers in tents on the ground
* The door handle lights go off, so if we do chose to leave the car unlocked, we aren’t also lighting up the ground all around the truck
* Gear guard is automatically and completely disabled so we don’t waste energy recording ourselves walking around our own car

Any one else have any thoughts on this?
This is part of a reply I received from Rivian, I had wrote them about being able to turn off the charging lights if I were in a campground and plugged in to charge. Because people get into their vehicle multiple times in the evening. Apparently they have at least addressed being able to turn them off. It is a start but they definitely need a camp mode to disable things and save power if you don't have plugins.

From Rivian
"For the charging lights, we understand they can be bright and illuminate your entire campsite, so to help with this issue, you're able to turn them off through the center display.

While we don't have tie down loops in the Gear Tunnel, we are always working to see what new features can be included, so stay tuned."

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
We just completed our first night camping in our old Roof Top Tent on the R1T - and overall it was great.. but we noticed something. When we lock the car (because our phones were charging in there, wallets/purses in there, etc), the truck seemed unhappy to have people sleeping on top of it. We have a roof top tent mounted to the cargo rails, and about every 10m the car would make a chirpy type noise. Unlocking the car caused it to go to sleep and ignore us but that has its own issues.

I’m curious if anyone else has done this yet and has any tips? I am planning on providing some feedback to Rivian, but here are my thoughts. There needs to be a ”camping mode”:

* The battery fans do not start up each time we unlock the car, we’re not driving anywhere.
* The interior HVAC and Stereo do not turn on each time we go into the car to get something
* The exterior lights go into off/dim mode so that when we DO unlock the car at night, we don’t wake up the poor suckers in tents on the ground
* The door handle lights go off, so if we do chose to leave the car unlocked, we aren’t also lighting up the ground all around the truck
* Gear guard is automatically and completely disabled so we don’t waste energy recording ourselves walking around our own car

Any one else have any thoughts on this?
Absolutely agree. Of all the things Rivian has, I'm a bit surprised there isn't a "camping mode.!"

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I wish the R1T had an openable rear window - and a duct to send HVACed cabin air to the rooftop tent through it. 😁

Yeti370

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Software Engineer
Does having the tent mounted over the bed affect range much? Im assuming, since its below the roof line, it shouldn't affect it much.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
🤔 possibly suggest a "camp mode" for when one does use the Yakima (or other brand) tent on the truck and still be able to lock the vehicle with little to no concern.

OP
OP

diranged

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Does having the tent mounted over the bed affect range much? Im assuming, since its below the roof line, it shouldn't affect it much.
On our trip, I don't think I could tell you ... it was only ~45m on the highway, and it was all a very hilly-road, so the road likely had much more impact than any aerodynamic or weight issues from the tent.

Sponsored

MichaelBMorgan

First Name
MichaelBMorgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Occupation
Outdoor sports
Roof camping :Gear guard is automatically and completely disabled so we don’t waste energy recording ourselves walking around our own car" that is really good thing about these tents.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Love these ideas.

I wonder if they could also optionally set the puddle lights to a lower power setting or something to act a bit like a lantern for safety around the truck.

I'm asking my guide if there is somewhere we can directly request features.
I've requested a simple and formal place to suggest features a few times in different places as well. GM has a great idea with the suggestion button in the Hummer. Rivian could do a feature suggestion by Alexa in addition to either making it formal through guides or just a suggestion mailbox.

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I just got back from my first test of the RTT. We went to Parsons, WV to do some dualsport motorcycle riding. I had put on my RTT the day before. I choose the iKamper mini as it was a hard shell and I figured the aero would be much better than the flapping canvas covered ones. I also mounted it backwards so the air had a more laminar flow over the vehicle. The hitch hauler and motorcycle caused much more turbulence. It was 157 mi one way and I charged to 100% the night before. When I got down there ( traveling between 45 and 60mph ) I had 118 mi left. The hitch hauler kept triggering the tow mode which I cancelled. They had a 50amp plug for RVs and I plugged in for a 70% charge. By late that night it was up to 70%. The charging lights were bright and even locking the vehicle and turning them off still left the charging door and the charging unit itself lit. I cured that with some electrical tape over the lights to prevent annoying the rest of the campground.

I put the charge up to 100% and by this morning it was there. We returned the same route with the same load, but speed was between 50 and 75mph this time. I got home with 128mi of range left. This setup seems to work really well and I didn't see much of a range hit. I did also go into the settings and shortened the courtesy lights to 30sec, but I wish I could turn them off completely (camp mode). One hiccup I noticed was the seat belt light randomly came on and off and interrupted the music every minute - sporadically. I always had my belt on and nothing was ever on the front passenger seat.

Rivian R1T R1S Roof Top Camping - Rivian Lights/Noises… IMG_7564
Rivian R1T R1S Roof Top Camping - Rivian Lights/Noises… IMG_7563
Rivian R1T R1S Roof Top Camping - Rivian Lights/Noises… IMG_7560

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I just got back from my first test of the RTT. We went to Parsons, WV to do some dualsport motorcycle riding. I had put on my RTT the day before. I choose the iKamper mini as it was a hard shell and I figured the aero would be much better than the flapping canvas covered ones. I also mounted it backwards so the air had a more laminar flow over the vehicle. The hitch hauler and motorcycle caused much more turbulence. It was 157 mi one way and I charged to 100% the night before. When I got down there ( traveling between 45 and 60mph ) I had 118 mi left. The hitch hauler kept triggering the tow mode which I cancelled. They had a 50amp plug for RVs and I plugged in for a 70% charge. By late that night it was up to 70%. The charging lights were bright and even locking the vehicle and turning them off still left the charging door and the charging unit itself lit. I cured that with some electrical tape over the lights to prevent annoying the rest of the campground.

I put the charge up to 100% and by this morning it was there. We returned the same route with the same load, but speed was between 50 and 75mph this time. I got home with 128mi of range left. This setup seems to work really well and I didn't see much of a range hit. I did also go into the settings and shortened the courtesy lights to 30sec, but I wish I could turn them off completely (camp mode). One hiccup I noticed was the seat belt light randomly came on and off and interrupted the music every minute - sporadically. I always had my belt on and nothing was ever on the front passenger seat.

IMG_7564.jpg
IMG_7563.jpg
IMG_7560.jpg
Do you have 2022.15.0 yet? Doesn't sound like it or maybe you left the lights on on purpose? The lights on the charger are (obviously) unaffected by the update.

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I do have the update.
Sponsored