Sponsored

Roof Top Camping - Rivian Lights/Noises…

diranged

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
We just completed our first night camping in our old Roof Top Tent on the R1T - and overall it was great.. but we noticed something. When we lock the car (because our phones were charging in there, wallets/purses in there, etc), the truck seemed unhappy to have people sleeping on top of it. We have a roof top tent mounted to the cargo rails, and about every 10m the car would make a chirpy type noise. Unlocking the car caused it to go to sleep and ignore us but that has its own issues.

I’m curious if anyone else has done this yet and has any tips? I am planning on providing some feedback to Rivian, but here are my thoughts. There needs to be a ”camping mode”:

* The battery fans do not start up each time we unlock the car, we’re not driving anywhere.
* The interior HVAC and Stereo do not turn on each time we go into the car to get something
* The exterior lights go into off/dim mode so that when we DO unlock the car at night, we don’t wake up the poor suckers in tents on the ground
* The door handle lights go off, so if we do chose to leave the car unlocked, we aren’t also lighting up the ground all around the truck
* Gear guard is automatically and completely disabled so we don’t waste energy recording ourselves walking around our own car

Any one else have any thoughts on this?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

We camped this weekend on ours. Turned off all the automatic light settings and auto lock/unlock, so the truck never turned on any lights except for the weak ones in the door handles.

I left the truck unlocked since I'm pretty certain someone opening the door would make enough noise to wake me. It would be nice to have the handle lamps time out after a short period of time though. It's not a great thing to advertise that the vehicle is unlocked.

Also turned off all climate control and set the radio volume to zero, so no issues with random noises from the truck due to that.

I never even enabled gear-guard, so nothing to note about that.

I have to agree it would be nice to have a single mode that does all that for you, AND levels the truck out so that it's not such a requirement to park on perfectly level ground. Our campsite had a constant pitch to it, so we ended up sleeping somewhat downhill.

MichaelD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter 4x4 camper van (170)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This would be a terrific addition!
I expect it should be easy enough for them to do. They could even pre-warn you that the spot you are parked in won't be capable of getting the truck to a completely level position, before even trying to do it. I'm tempted enough to try to figure out if there's a way to hook into the system and do it myself manually. Putting the truck into tire change mode seems like it should stop it from trying to make adjustments itself.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

We camped this weekend on ours. Turned off all the automatic light settings and auto lock/unlock, so the truck never turned on any lights except for the weak ones in the door handles.

I left the truck unlocked since I'm pretty certain someone opening the door would make enough noise to wake me. It would be nice to have the handle lamps time out after a short period of time though. It's not a great thing to advertise that the vehicle is unlocked.

Also turned off all climate control and set the radio volume to zero, so no issues with random noises from the truck due to that.

I never even enabled gear-guard, so nothing to note about that.

I have to agree it would be nice to have a single mode that does all that for you, AND levels the truck out so that it's not such a requirement to park on perfectly level ground. Our campsite had a constant pitch to it, so we ended up sleeping somewhat downhill.
I would send this Rivian in detail, and maybe it will become something they put together for the next update.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

We just completed our first night camping in our old Roof Top Tent on the R1T - and overall it was great.. but we noticed something. When we lock the car (because our phones were charging in there, wallets/purses in there, etc), the truck seemed unhappy to have people sleeping on top of it. We have a roof top tent mounted to the cargo rails, and about every 10m the car would make a chirpy type noise. Unlocking the car caused it to go to sleep and ignore us but that has its own issues.

I’m curious if anyone else has done this yet and has any tips? I am planning on providing some feedback to Rivian, but here are my thoughts. There needs to be a ”camping mode”:

* The battery fans do not start up each time we unlock the car, we’re not driving anywhere.
* The interior HVAC and Stereo do not turn on each time we go into the car to get something
* The exterior lights go into off/dim mode so that when we DO unlock the car at night, we don’t wake up the poor suckers in tents on the ground
* The door handle lights go off, so if we do chose to leave the car unlocked, we aren’t also lighting up the ground all around the truck
* Gear guard is automatically and completely disabled so we don’t waste energy recording ourselves walking around our own car

Any one else have any thoughts on this?
sounds more than reasonable. my main thought... Rivian didn't notice this when they were testing? seems like a bunch of big misses here.

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

I would send this Rivian in detail, and maybe it will become something they put together for the next update.
Agreed! If enough people say something, it’s more likely to find it’s way into the product roadmap. As a vehicle being marketed with a RTT, I am a bit surprised this has not been designed into the product.

Deleted member 6231

Any thoughts on your favorite RTT? I’ve ordered the Rivian tent but hearing it might not be available til the end of 2023. I’m looking at the iKamper Skycamp 3.0 mini but it seems a bit narrower than others.

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
The self leveling feature should be a fairly easy update from Rivian I would assume. My neighbor has a 2016 Winnebago on a Sprinter platform and it has the auto self leveling feature. Pretty slick.

Hopefully Rivian reads these suggestion threads because a lot of members here have some really great ideas! The more owners report possible improvements based off of experiences, the better!

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The self leveling feature should be a fairly easy update from Rivian I would assume. My neighbor has a 2016 Winnebago on a Sprinter platform and it has the auto self leveling feature. Pretty slick.

Hopefully Rivian reads these suggestion threads because a lot of members here have some really great ideas! The more owners report possible improvements based off of experiences, the better!
I'm asking my guide if there is somewhere we can directly request features.

tomaskuehn9

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo V60 Cross-Country; Porsche Carrera 4
I am not very techie, but doesn’t this require a physical level/accelerometer somewhere? Is there a way to do this with software only?

Deleted member 6231

I am not very techie, but doesn’t this require a physical level/accelerometer somewhere? Is there a way to do this with software only?
The self leveling feature already exists in the car, now it’s just a matter of getting it to hold position during camping.

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
sounds more than reasonable. my main thought... Rivian didn't notice this when they were testing? seems like a bunch of big misses here.
Right? Maybe they tested and decided to push the vehicles out and catch-up on issues later. I think about that with the so-called wireless phone charger and the phone key unlock issue - had to be known ahead of customer deliveries. Someone had to have camped in a RTT as well.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

Any thoughts on your favorite RTT? I’ve ordered the Rivian tent but hearing it might not be available til the end of 2023. I’m looking at the iKamper Skycamp 3.0 mini but it seems a bit narrower than others.
I've ordered the Thule Tepui Ruggedized Kukenam and hopefully receive it soon and I'm waiting on the iKamper X-Cover 2.0 mini that should be available in May. I'm trying out an Off Grid Trailer this weekend with a RTT, so I'll be curious to see how many different settings I have to turn off or disable to make it through the night with no distractions. I've been compiling a list of items for my Guide and was getting ready to send it, but I might wait until next week after our trip.
Sponsored