First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
As far as I can tell, the launch edition will be getting the panoramic roof as the default and only option. Since I will sometimes be traveling in sunny climes, I am wondering if there will be an included sliding roof shade as there is on most sunroofs. If not, does anyone have a good solution for avoiding a greenhouse effect?
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Tesla has lots of glass overhead. They give you a cloth sunshade on a plastic frame that you sort of push into place. Rivian will probably do something similar and if they don't some third party will.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
As far as I can tell, the launch edition will be getting the panoramic roof as the default and only option. Since I will sometimes be traveling in sunny climes, I am wondering if there will be an included sliding roof shade as there is on most sunroofs. If not, does anyone have a good solution for avoiding a greenhouse effect?
Rivian made it very clear through others that there will be no shade. A quality dark tint on the interior may be the only option. Nobody can get clarification if the tint changes with any photo optic film in the glass.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
There certainly doesn't seem to be a shade in the pictures they're showing, but no way of knowing if that matches the final configuration we'll see ship to customers next year.

I'm going to wait to see how the dimming effect works. If it doesn't work well enough, I'll probably just tint it.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
Nobody can get clarification if the tint changes with any photo optic film in the glass.
I was just on the phone with Rivian, and asked whether the tint will change from light to dark. The answer was no, it is one shade, and will not change, and there will be no sliding shade option.

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I was just on the phone with Rivian, and asked whether the tint will change from light to dark. The answer was no, it is one shade, and will not change, and there will be no sliding shade option.
This is exactly my complaint about the CS reps. Almost seems like they respond depending on their mood. It wouldn't surprise me that it was Martin the one that answered that phone call XD

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
In the last four days, we went from photochromic to electrochromic to tinted glass.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
In the last four days, we went from photochromic to electrochromic to tinted glass.
No, we went from Electrochomitic (pre release) to photochromic? to tinted glass?

MadMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Tesla Model 3
Well, I’m just hoping the roof stays attached to the truck:
https://electrek.co/2020/10/05/tesla-model-y-roof-fall-off/

(My Model 3 has been great, for the record. And I don’t mind the glass roof at all. I will say the kids have put screens up in the back for longer rides to cut some glare on their phone/iPad screens. Heat hasn’t been an issue, however. All that said, I would love it if my R1S could “shade” the sun one way or the other, but it’s not a deal breaker for me.)

Sponsored

Sneaky2Toes

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Among the unique features on the Rivian, the roof was one that I was personally excited about. Now hearing that it sounds like it is scraped is somewhat disappointing. Sunroofs are typically things people pay extra for but in reality, rarely use. I know that most times I have mine closed because its either too hot or cold outside or the sun shining through gets to be rather warm. I am not sure about having just a tinted glass as the roof and the option to cover it will be most likely an awkward screen to install. The ability to make it instantly dark was very attractive. Having to stop and install/uninstall some contraption and then store it somewhere is not so cool.