First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y and Porsche Macan
Occupation
Marketing
Good Morning - I keep seeing photos posted with bed rails and some roof racks, but I can't seem to determine which mounting system it uses. Anyone have any wild ideas or concrete ones? Looking forward to my R1T.
Sponsored

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
I’m guessing Rivian-specific mounting so that, yes, you will have to buy the accessories from Rivian.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Good Morning - I keep seeing photos posted with bed rails and some roof racks, but I can't seem to determine which mounting system it uses. Anyone have any wild ideas or concrete ones? Looking forward to my R1T.
Rivian-specific for the racks/bars themselves, but should be compatible with third party accessories to mount on them.

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Rivian-specific for the racks/bars themselves, but should be compatible with third party accessories to mount on them.
The quick connect is awesome, particularly if you think about functionality: I can keep a ski rack on the quick connect system, and pop it off when I want those few mpge back (I think I won't need a rack given size, but this is a realworld example.

I hope that the weight limit is at least 160 lbs for rack. That is the weight of my rooftop tent.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
The quick connect is awesome, particularly if you think about functionality: I can keep a ski rack on the quick connect system, and pop it off when I want those few mpge back (I think I won't need a rack given size, but this is a realworld example.

I hope that the weight limit is at least 160 lbs for rack. That is the weight of my rooftop tent.
This is from the post where they are in Georgia, watch the video and they show removing and placing the racks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

HKMiller

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Marketing
This is from the post where they are in Georgia, watch the video and they show removing and placing the racks.

This is fantastic!

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Hopefully they will offer the telescopic mounts at launch so you can have one on the roof and one raise up on the back of the bed for a level kayak/canoe mount. Or for carrying any long cargo such as lumber.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Hopefully they will offer the telescopic mounts at launch so you can have one on the roof and one raise up on the back of the bed for a level kayak/canoe mount. Or for carrying any long cargo such as lumber.
I understand what you're referring to but we need to start being more precise with the use of the term "telescoping". The reason for this is that Rivian already refers to the racks as telescoping. The catch is they are telescoping in width to allow for moving from the bed to the roof, or collapsing them fully to store in the frunk. Obviously you are referring to height adjustment and hopefully Rivian will shed some light soon on how they plan to support (pun intended) your kayak/canoe/lumber use cases.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I hope the crossbars can be "locked" in place so they cannot be easily stolen.

OP
OP

HKMiller

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Marketing
I understand what you're referring to but we need to start being more precise with the use of the term "telescoping". The reason for this is that Rivian already refers to the racks as telescoping. The catch is they are telescoping in width to allow for moving from the bed to the roof, or collapsing them fully to store in the frunk. Obviously you are referring to height adjustment and hopefully Rivian will shed some light soon on how they plan to support (pun intended) your kayak/canoe/lumber use cases.
Agreed on all fronts. Would also like to know if Thule or Yakima accessories will be supported. IMHO Yakima is the better product, so here's hoping.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Agreed on all fronts. Would also like to know if Thule or Yakima accessories will be supported. IMHO Yakima is the better product, so here's hoping.
Having used both, Thule is consistently higher quality, imo.

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Clubs

I would think that once the truck is released, the likes of Thule and Yakima will offer rails that snap in those sockets.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I'd guess the combined weight limit must approach the neighborhood of 600 pounds if designed for the tent and two people, while still in place on the rails. Does that sound about right?

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
I'd guess the combined weight limit must approach the neighborhood of 600 pounds if designed for the tent and two people, while still in place on the rails. Does that sound about right?
Close, I think.

There is a static weight limit, which I think you are talking about, and a dynamic (driving) limit.

My particular tent has a weight rating of 8-900 pounds for static load, but it is a 4 person tent (comes out to slightly larger than a queen when open).

The third factor is the weight limit of the roof rails, which really is only limited by dynamic load limit as to that part.

Here, I have 0 doubt the Rivian will take a much higher static and tynamic load limit (the battery gives it a much lower center of gravity vs an ICE, which will vastly improve the dynamic load limit).

I'd send in the info to customer support but I don't think I can take another non answer. And I am an optimist. Jokes aside, I would be shocked if their product doesn't hit this limit. If it doesn't, I am 100% sure Thule or others will make this product (they make it for other vehicles).

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Dynamic load rating while bouncing down the road is typically a lot lower, and not all vehicles can handle a RTT (these days, most that have factory bars probably can...). I'm confident the Rivian will based on the photos showing roof top tents mounted to these bars, and the whole adventure theme.

Static load rating, what the bars will handle while the vehicle is parked, will be closer to the tent and two or three people, the 600 pounds or more that you mentioned.
Sponsored