Sponsored

Roof Rack + MTB ?

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
I haven't yet come across much info/first-hand experience on a rooftop bike rack setup for an R1S - has anyone done this? Ive seen quite a bit on R1T bed setups, but Im wondering if the lifting height would be an issue on an S, esp with a heavy-ish mountain bike. (I have the Rivian racks, just no Rivian yet, ha)

Already have a hitch mount that I use for my other Jeep, trying to avoid a hitch mount if possible.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I’m sure it’s possible. Obviously if the truck is in kneel mode or sport/ low it would make it easier, but I think even then the roof is at just over 6’, not counting the extra for the rack. Running boards or sliders or even a step stool would make it pretty easy unless you can manage standing on the gear tunnel and getting a bike up there. But that seems like a back injury waiting to happen.

Last edited:

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

If you are worried about lifting the bike on the roof your only choice is a hitch mounted bike rack. Very common debate for any vehicle but nothing is going to make it easy to lift a heavy bike on a tall vehicle like an R1S.

Last edited:
OP
OP
s00n

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Again, trying to avoid a hitch rack. The vehicle will be used for short/intown drives so no problem having it mounted all the time. Wouldn't want to leave a hitch mount on there all the time - also the garage is tight and I don't really have a place to store it.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Would be a good excuse to get running boards. I can't get a bike down without stepping inside the door in my R1T. Gear tunnel door helps but the bikes are still too far forward for just the tunnel door.

Sponsored

Chhow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I’m sure it’s possible. Obviously if the truck is in kneel mode or sport/ low it would make it easier, but I think even then the roof is at just over 6’, not counting the extra for the rack. Running boards or sliders or even a step stool would make it pretty easy unless you can manage standing on the gear tunnel and getting a bike up there. But that seems like a back injury waiting to happen.
I can even imagine how you can hurt yourself in this way ... Even a light-weight bike Tomasso can be difficult to drag onto the roof

Last edited:
OP
OP
s00n

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
While I can't find pics of the setup on an S, here's one from the Rivian website for the T. I assume the lifting/height would be the same.

Still no S yet, but ordered some running boards, so that should probably help.

Rivian R1T R1S Roof Rack + MTB ? Bike-Mount-PDP-04_romiq

Wentworth

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 Silverado 1500, ‘22 i-Pace
Occupation
Stay at home parent, former airline pilot
We had to go roof rack on my wife’s I-Pace. Our solution is a tall folding step stool to toss in the back. Having a helping hand around also goes a long way so you don’t need to climb the steps while holding the bike.

William tom

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Another thing to Consider is that If you park in a garage, with a roof mount it’s almost certainly just a matter of time before you drive your bikes into the garage door. I know from experience- twice! Gets expensive fast, likely faster with the roof glass! Moved to hitch mount and have absolutely no regrets. I use a north shore rack for mtb and it folds very compactly- sticks out about 18” from tailgate. lightweight.

Ducano

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 630 2004
Occupation
machine servicer
To put a bike on your roof rack successfully, you should choose a rooftop bike rack that is suitable for your bike and compatible with your roof rack system. There are various types, including fork-mounted, frame-mounted, and wheel-mounted racks. Place the bike rack onto the crossbars of the roof rack system. Depending on the design, it may clamp onto the crossbars or have a specific mounting mechanism.
Sponsored

Last edited: