Roof Rack Arrangements for R1S

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
I know this may be a niche thing, but I was going back over some pictures and questions I had from earlier, and remembered seeing pictures of the roof on the R1S, and seeing what looked like 3 crossbar mounting locations (front/middle/rear). Had a quick chat with CS, and they confirmed that there is indeed three mounting points. And that Rivian only offers the corssbars in pairs.

Which just left some questions in my head. Is there any use case for having a third rail? Is anyone considering utilizing this? Or even just using the Middle/rear mounts versus the front/middle? She did mention that additional gear will be available in the future, but couldn't offer any more specifics than that. For reference, all the configurator pictures show the front/middle mount locations being used. The rear one is located about where I've drawn it (with my expert skills) below. I know it's really not a big deal with all the AMAZING news today, but would love some thoughts on this.

Rivian R1T R1S Roof Rack Arrangements for R1S 1631645336663
Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

if you needed to move a mattress or a sheet of plywood you would use the front and rear.

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

I know this may be a niche thing, but I was going back over some pictures and questions I had from earlier, and remembered seeing pictures of the roof on the R1S, and seeing what looked like 3 crossbar mounting locations (front/middle/rear). Had a quick chat with CS, and they confirmed that there is indeed three mounting points. And that Rivian only offers the corssbars in pairs.

Which just left some questions in my head. Is there any use case for having a third rail? Is anyone considering utilizing this? Or even just using the Middle/rear mounts versus the front/middle? She did mention that additional gear will be available in the future, but couldn't offer any more specifics than that. For reference, all the configurator pictures show the front/middle mount locations being used. The rear one is located about where I've drawn it (with my expert skills) below. I know it's really not a big deal with all the AMAZING news today, but would love some thoughts on this.

1631645336663.png
Anyone have any idea as to the range penalty for a box on top like this one? Would a hitch box be less damaging on range since it wouldn't be directly in the air stream?

LordUlhtred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3

1631645336663.png
I would be like Rivian to have a 4 - 6 person tent that can use all 3 roof rails.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
So, since I have an R1S and I'd like the 3rd rail, I'll just have to get an spare... maybe someone in FL wants to go half/half ?

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

Just personally, we have an iKamper that is about 40 inches longer than the Yakima tent, so we'll be using the 1st and 3rd mounts on trips.

3 rails might be ideal, so if someone in NY metro area want to go halfsies...

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Anyone have any idea as to the range penalty for a box on top like this one? Would a hitch box be less damaging on range since it wouldn't be directly in the air stream?
Yes in general. I see up to a 20-30% penalty on the freeway with a slim rooftop box on my Model Y. On the hitch (especially on the R1S) should be milder; likewise with the R1T bed.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I still think the R1S needs to have a roof rack arrangement and offer a full tire (not that spare tire garbage) or a swivel at the rear door (akin to many Jeeps) to hold that full spare for this vehicle's price.

Last edited:

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I still think the R1S needs to have a roof rack arrangement to and offer a full tire (not that spare tire garbage) or a swivel at the rear door (akin to many Jeeps) to hold that full spare for this vehicle's price.
Agree, I wouldn't dare to take the R1S on the TAT with just a donut.

Sponsored

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

I would be like Rivian to have a 4 - 6 person tent that can use all 3 roof rails.
Be careful with a tent that size accommodates 4 to 6 people. Weight become a glaring factor at that point. Overloading a tent on top of an all glass roof, should be a No - No. I could see you using a rack platform with a three bar setup like the Yakima LockNLoad platform:
LockNLoad Platform – Yakima

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Agree, I wouldn't dare to take the R1S on the TAT with just a donut.
The TAT? Heck, everyday road driving. The car cost $70K+, they shouldn't be offering that spare semi-tire crap. I feel like Gremlins towards Gizmo regarding that small spare hula-hoop.

Rivian R1T R1S Roof Rack Arrangements for R1S 1631760984508

Bbernardo

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 Tacoma / 08 H3
I was thinking about roof racks for the R1S this weekend and think I'd prefer to get a full length roof rack. A Gobi or Frontrunner pique my interest. Also looking at a ladder setup to help getting to the roofline.

Last edited:

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Just personally, we have an iKamper that is about 40 inches longer than the Yakima tent, so we'll be using the 1st and 3rd mounts on trips.

3 rails might be ideal, so if someone in NY metro area want to go halfsies...
I have the rooftnest condor xl which is a 4 person tent and similar style. I didn't realize there was an issue with three roof racks . . . . I currently keep my tent on a honda crv no problem (dynamic weight limit of 160, which is the weight of the tent). That said, if I need to get a third one, I'll go in with you.

I am in western LI. R1s Launch Edition. Where are you roughly?

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
My condor xl has a weight limit of 8-900 pounds and sleeps 4. It is slightly larger than a queen when open. Take a look. I have been happy.

FYI, haven't slept with four in there: my wife has somehow delayed sleeping in there. Slept in there many times with three (me 5'9 and my two preteen kids) with plenty of space.
Sponsored