Roof Rack Arrangements for R1S

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
My wife and I both have 12’ long hard paddle boards and will definitely be using first and third positions, but these positions are also great for transporting 20-24’ extension ladders.
Sponsored

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

I have the rooftnest condor xl which is a 4 person tent and similar style. I didn't realize there was an issue with three roof racks . . . . I currently keep my tent on a honda crv no problem (dynamic weight limit of 160, which is the weight of the tent). That said, if I need to get a third one, I'll go in with you.

I am in western LI. R1s Launch Edition. Where are you roughly?
I'm in northern Westchester County but "work" in the city.

It would be cool to go in on a pair, although I'm not blessed to be a LE pre-order holder. Maybe I'll wait until you test out your Condor to see if a third rack is necessary ?.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I will be mounting my hard shell RTT on the R1S. This tent is significantly longer that a folded 3-person like the Rivian (Yakima). Those tents are about 54” long, when folded and mounted sideways. I used to have one. My hardshell is more like 78”. I may have to utilize the front and rear mounting positions, but I don’t know the actual spacing of these mounts. If anyone has those measurements, I’d like to know.

The other thing, while the Rivian mounting system appears to be awesome for quick attachment and removal, I don’t like that they are very high profile. This will affect mileage, when loaded. Note how low profile the BajaRack on my FJ is. My current setup, and even with the taller folding tent mounted, doesn’t have a huge hit on mileage, as long as I stay below 70-75 mph. After that, all bets are off. I suspect a wind deflector, as is incorporated into my BajaRack, helps minimize the mileage hit.

Rivian R1T R1S Roof Rack Arrangements for R1S 1647218765427
Sponsored