Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
It looks this will be a no drill option that replaces the factory points
Either way please attach pics of how they mounted the rack maybe it will be better than this solution?
From what Austin says, it sounds like they'll be removing the factory mounts and using the bolt-holes that those mounts previously used. Though, looking at them, they appear to be hidden, so it seems like there's gotta be some sort of adapter plate anyway...

I'm definitely curious to see what Spider RR comes up with!
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Replaces? There's several other companies that have managed to work directly with the factory points, not sure what would be different about their roof rack that would necessitate that modification...
I am planning on replacing the mounts over the bed on my truck for a custom rack design, but I am also making room to pass wires up through my design for the replacement third brake light and extra 12V into the tent, so they are hidden. I haven't seen any photos of the rooftop mounts removed at all and I don't plan on doing anything up there besides the standard Rivian cargo bars.

If you're covering the whole roof in stuff, it's not like you need to put the panels back up.

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I am planning on replacing the mounts over the bed on my truck for a custom rack design, but I am also making room to pass wires up through my design for the replacement third brake light and extra 12V into the tent, so they are hidden. I haven't seen any photos of the rooftop mounts removed at all and I don't plan on doing anything up there besides the standard Rivian cargo bars.
If you're just looking to mount, and not modify, you could use the adapters that were linked by FooF, and not have to worry about the modification... I think removing the mounts would require the plastic top to come off, just based on looking at them... I haven't seen anyone do it, but I'd be worried about causing issues with the buttons (gear tunnel, tailgate, tonneau if you've got it...)

OP
OP
HighVoltOverland

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

You seem to have taken my comment personally, I wasn't intending to cause offense, just pointing out that the removal of the factory points doesn't seem necessary, and seeing how others do it, should remove most of the R&D cost that might be incurred.

Would make for easier removal and application for people who wanted to use it for road trips and remove it for the daily drive... But, as you point out, the cost of the other ones seems excessive and it is nice to see someone coming in at what I would consider more reasonable. Hopefully it turns out to be a quality product! Let us know how you like it if/when you get one!
God damn it.

I think the way I speak reads much more passive aggressive than needed dude.

Wasn't hurt or offended by what you said, wasn't trying to come across as upset.

I completely agree with your points, the adapter plate would help preserve the removable aspect for adaptability.
For me personally,

I try to go camping every weekend, and have minimal garage space, so I don't personally mind the rack being a more permanent mount.

So for me personally, I don't mind pulling the headliner once to access the factory bolt points and save a couple grand.

I'm just happy that he has a lower profile product that may inspire others to actually enter the space at a more competitive price

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I think the way I speak reads much more passive aggressive than needed dude.
Text is so impersonal, it's difficult to navigate without nonverbal cues too. I think we're on the same page! Let us know how Spider RR does! I'm happily watching lots of stuff form up in this product line! Hopefully more show up at this price point

Sponsored

OP
OP
HighVoltOverland

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Text is so impersonal, it's difficult to navigate without nonverbal cues too. I think we're on the same page! Let us know how Spider RR does! I'm happily watching lots of stuff form up in this product line! Hopefully more show up at this price point
I think the most part for me is I read yours, and was like, is he upset?
Nah.
Then I responded and was like, do I sound upset?
Nah.

lol

OP
OP
HighVoltOverland

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

at $100 each, that's an additional $400/rack plus an additional supply line that isn't under their control, I get them not wanting to attach themselves to that for their product. I wonder if there's a patent on that product though, I would assume there must be?
I have been having multiple conversations around this.

A big concern he has had is that the Rivian Loops may not handle heavy loads (such as a bed rack)

He has made a solid billet replacement of the factory mounts but I completely get folks that are dubious about making permanent changes, I'm planning to sacrifice my factory mounts for the good of the community to enable full destructive testing of the points, ideally the mounts will pass muster and a 2.0 mount will be an adapter in the same vein of Weistec (but without the Rivian Tax)

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I'm planning to sacrifice my factory mounts for the good of the community to enable full destructive testing of the points, ideally the mounts will pass muster and a 2.0 mount will be an adapter in the same vein of Weistec (but without the Rivian Tax)
Hopefully you can get new ones from Rivian, but yeah, I also agree that I hope they pass muster, would make everything much easier. Since they've got the RTT, I expect it's set to handle dynamic loads that are pretty high, hopefully high enough.
Let us know what they find out!

OP
OP
HighVoltOverland

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

General Update:

The prototype parts were rough fit and looked solid, powder coater was on vacation, so it's been a waiting game to get the full production set up mounted on the truck

The mounting points are solid, they have three threaded holes, two are for mounting the roof rack, the third is to be able to thread in an eyelet or hook for additional sturdy tie down point, we are making a bed rack as well, I'm hoping to use that third hole for a wire run, to allow for 3rd brake line/ whatever else I get squirrelly with.

I had a road trip so had to take the truck back from the shop, ETA for roof rack mounting is next weekend

The shop has been an absolute pleasure to work with, we are playing with some really fun ideas right now, and he will be using my truck as a show piece at Overland Expo in AZ next month so It'll be fun to share some of the other things we are kicking around once they are debuted at the show

pictures s00n

909phillyman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I'm gong to make a proper post, but here is the preorder for the spider rack:

https://www.spiderroofrack.com/product-page/rivian-r1t
That looks great! Thank you for following this through to this point. It really would be nice to have an option that is functional, well built, aesthetically pleasing, and reasonably priced. I should be taking delivery of my R1S in the next week or so, so maybe I'll reach out to Spider to see if he would consider building an R1S compatible roof rack. My understanding is that the R1S roof contours inward a bit, much differently than the R1T, not to mention the length of the R1S roof and its 6 mounting points. I may ping you once I take delivery just to see where everything stands at that time.

Thanks again for working with him, on behalf of the community...much appreciated!
Sponsored