HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

I have been searching for any word on if frontrunner or prinsu or anyone was publicly in the pricess of making a Rivian roof rack/basket and came up with nothing.
I did stumble upon a company called Spider Roof Racks, and what caught my attention is they are no-drill installations.

I like to break and make things, and I'm no industrial engineer, but it seems like it could be a cool product to have a no drill low profile roof rack that mounted utilizing the existing cross bar mount/locking points

So I sent an email inquiry to the company asking if they had any intention or desire to make a Rivian roof rack.

Well they just responded with the following:
Hi Austin, If you have a Rivian or know one let us know. We would love to work with them or you on a new roof rack. Let us know. Thank you.

I'm still committed to my Max Pack Reservation so I don't have a truck to offer to help with measuring/ the design process but I figured I'd put it out to the community to at least gauge interest and maybe even help find an owner willing to help with the development of the product.

I believe the company is in SoCal.
(picture for reference)
Rivian R1T R1S Roof Rack [Aftermarket Development] 1653077585909
Sponsored

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I’m glad to see there is somebody else, besides me, on this forum that wants a real, low profile roof rack. I have a BajaRack on my FJ. The rack, itself, is a pretty universal fit design, with mounting struts specific to each vehicle. The struts actually bolt to the rack portion. The problem with the Rivian is the mounting struts. Somebody needs to come up with another strut mechanism that utilizes the Rivian mounting ports - a strut that is simpler AND shorter. Or, possibly a way to remove the Rivian mounting ports and use a bolt on design. On my car, the BajaRack utilizes the already stock mounting ports - no drilling. I want a flat, full length rack to mount my RTT and/or gear on an R1S. Even with pickups, people like to mount different styles of taller racks to the beds. It’s inconceivable to me that Rivian hasn’t considered these other options. Surely, they didn’t just fixate on their fancy crossbars, to the exclusion of all other possibilities. I should reach out to BajaRack and see what they have to say.

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Bump. Any news here with Spider, Baja, Prinsu, Frontrunner, or others?

OP
OP
HighVoltOverland

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Nothing I have seen
Hopefully we don't have to wait til next year

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I was on chat with FrontRunner today about bed racks... While I didn't ask about future and roof, they do not have a product for a T.

I may just buy a Go Rhino or FR instead of waiting.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HighVoltOverland

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

I was on chat with FrontRunner today about bed racks... While I didn't ask about future and roof, they do not have a product for a T.

I may just buy a Go Rhino or FR instead of waiting.
Current plan to just mount the platfrom to the crossbars?
Or Drill?

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Current plan to just mount the platfrom to the crossbars?
Or Drill?
Mount to bars. I'd like something a little higher, but since Rivian went proprietary on mounts I'm kinda stuck unless I drill or someone, read "Yakima", introduces something. I'm not opposed to drilling, just haven't done the research into what I'd be drilling into and what it can support... Hhhmm sounds like I need to start looking into it.

Lock and Load B, Front runner, or GoRhino SRM600 will work but not exactly what I'd like.

OP
OP
HighVoltOverland

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

I’m working with Spider Roof Rack on this
Solid guy,
It looks this will be a no drill option that replaces the factory points

So far the discussion is the racks will be around the 1k price range

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I’m working with Spider Roof Rack on this
Solid guy,
It looks this will be a no drill option that replaces the factory points

So far the discussion is the racks will be around the 1k price range
Replaces? There's several other companies that have managed to work directly with the factory points, not sure what would be different about their roof rack that would necessitate that modification...

Sponsored

OP
OP
HighVoltOverland

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Replaces? There's several other companies that have managed to work directly with the factory points, not sure what would be different about their roof rack that would necessitate that modification...
That's cool man.

To each there own, I for one wasn't too fussed about spending 3800 for the DCE/ruffrax option.

People can choose if they want to spend 3k for an aluminum bracket that uses the factory point with an adapter
or
spend less than half that for something that mounts directly into the steel frame

As for me,
he's the only guy I've been able to get a hold of that hasn't indicated any interest in trying to gouge
Rivian owners because there is a perception of their affluence
he's a local small business and I like supporting people in my community

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
You seem to have taken my comment personally, I wasn't intending to cause offense, just pointing out that the removal of the factory points doesn't seem necessary, and seeing how others do it, should remove most of the R&D cost that might be incurred.

Would make for easier removal and application for people who wanted to use it for road trips and remove it for the daily drive... But, as you point out, the cost of the other ones seems excessive and it is nice to see someone coming in at what I would consider more reasonable. Hopefully it turns out to be a quality product! Let us know how you like it if/when you get one!

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
at $100 each, that's an additional $400/rack plus an additional supply line that isn't under their control, I get them not wanting to attach themselves to that for their product. I wonder if there's a patent on that product though, I would assume there must be?

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

at $100 each, that's an additional $400/rack plus an additional supply line that isn't under their control, I get them not wanting to attach themselves to that for their product. I wonder if there's a patent on that product though, I would assume there must be?
I think it says patent pending but maybe worth showing to them and they can fabricate something that interfaces with the factory mount so that they do not have to remove the factory mount?
Either way please attach pics of how they mounted the rack maybe it will be better than this solution?
Sponsored