Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

I haul lumber and other long building material all the time. Most of the time it’s for work but sometimes for personal projects. So I bought this rack about 6 months ago for my previous vehicle. I told my wife it would work on my R1T when I got it. (Knew I would have conversion challenges) So I had to make it work. Lol.

And guess what? It Does!!!

I got some J-bolts at the hardware store and some other hardware. I had to do a few mods to the rack to make it shorter from front to back (to keep buttons on the side clear) It is on tight and works great. Comes off in just a few minutes with 4 nuts.
Rivian R1T R1S Roof Height Bed Rack Installed 8C7C904F-4297-4AB8-B09E-93B876B3FFAC

Rivian R1T R1S Roof Height Bed Rack Installed A3715010-6C98-4F52-A486-BDEC32BEC451

Rivian R1T R1S Roof Height Bed Rack Installed C5C4C10A-2569-469F-A199-F9FEDC4944C7
Sponsored

Last edited:

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Looks good. Next time you haul lumber can you take and share another picture? I’d like to see some long boards (12ft+) strapped in.

coshesey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Director Home Services
Looks great! What rack? I also would love to see the attachment.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Load rating for typical j bolts is pretty low.

jdubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Tesla Model S

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Yes. But had to mod it quite a bit. Drill bigger holes, cut the length and the width and drill some new holes.
Could this rack have been extended far enough to run U-bolts around the Rivian mounting points than up through the two middle holes in the rack? On further inspection, it appears the rear mount probably can’t be moved back much further without some interference. However, it looks like the front mount could be moved forward to utilize a U-bolt. It also appears there is an extra hole in the middle that you may have drilled. Is this correct? Any interference issues with the tonneau cover?

Last edited:
OP
OP
W1SE

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

Could this rack have been extended far enough to run U-bolts around the Rivian mounting points than up through the two middle holes in the rack? On further inspection, it appears the rear mount probably can’t be moved back much further without some interference. However, it looks like the front mount could be moved forward to utilize a U-bolt. It also appears there is an extra hole in the middle that you may have drilled. Is this correct? Any interference issues with the tonneau cover?
Started with U-bolt. The problem I had was the thread parts are straight. And the straight parts are too long to go under the rivian mounting point because the gap is sub-surface. U-bolts would be my preference. Also, some interference but I was looking to cut square gaps in the rack plate to use the buttons. I would like that spread a lot more.

Sponsored

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Started with U-bolt. The problem I had was the thread parts are straight. And the straight parts are too long to go under the rivian mounting point because the gap is sub-surface. U-bolts would be my preference. Also, some interference but I was looking to cut square gaps in the rack plate to use the buttons. I would like that spread a lot more.
How far apart are the uprights? I’m assuming you could not move the front support forward, as I believe the gear tunnel button may be in the way. Heck, wonder if the gear tunnel button could be placed somewhere out of the way, allowing for the support to be moved forward, giving a wider base. Can the gear tunnel be opened remotely, if the buttons are covered?

Damn Rivian!! Why did they have to go and overthink this mounting portal design. It would have been soooo much better, for so many other uses, if they had just allowed for more conventional mounting points. I currently have an R1S on order and need to mount a larger RTT, which, at this point, is not happening. This problem may end up being the one thing that nixes the S for me. Well, that and no full size spare. I was hoping that the T might offer an alternative, but maybe not.

Thanks for the info. Racks do look good.

OP
OP
W1SE

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

How far apart are the uprights? I’m assuming you could not move the front support forward, as I believe the gear tunnel button may be in the way. Heck, wonder if the gear tunnel button could be placed somewhere out of the way, allowing for the support to be moved forward, giving a wider base. Can the gear tunnel be opened remotely, if the buttons are covered?

Damn Rivian!! Why did they have to go and overthink this mounting portal design. It would have been soooo much better, for so many other uses, if they had just allowed for more conventional mounting points. I currently have an R1S on order and need to mount a larger RTT, which, at this point, is not happening. This problem may end up being the one thing that nixes the S for me. Well, that and no full size spare. I was hoping that the T might offer an alternative, but maybe not.

Thanks for the info. Racks do look good.
I never measured and I am out of town this week (hard to be away from my R1T this long) I am guessing about 26-28” on center. Almost the same distance as the mounting points.

And thank you

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I’m wondering what is under those rails. They appear to be outside the tonneau tracks. Can that area be accessed to add additional bolts for support and for the possibility of repositioning the racks? For maximum support of an RTT, or anything else, having the front rack further forward would be nice. The gear tunnel button interference could be worked around, I’m sure.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I like the finish and styliing of it. Seems to sort of "match" the Rivian. 800lb load rating is pretty good unless you want to be hauling wood stacked to the sky like some of the work vans you see around here. Nice install

Bman

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Colorado
Occupation
Contracter
I like the finish and styliing of it. Seems to sort of "match" the Rivian. 800lb load rating is pretty good unless you want to be hauling wood stacked to the sky like some of the work vans you see around here. Nice install
Love your truck. Ordered same truck, red canyon and 21 inch wheels. Sounds like they’ll workin little snow which I deal with up at cabin. Looks like I’ll have to Mcgiver some rack system for lumber. Little disappointed Rivian hadn’t figured out way to install some rack system on adventure vehicle. How are we supposed to transport a canoe or kayak?
Sponsored