Sponsored

Roller Coaster Charging Rate - Fast, Slow, Fast Slow, Fast??

HokieR1T

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T LG/BM/20 AT
10k miles on my R1T, but still very much new to EV's.

I had an interesting charging experience today at an EA station. (8 stations, only one other occupied, I was using a 350 kWh). The rate started well, around ~205 the first few minutes, then quickly dropped to mid 30's, and as quickly as it dropped, went back to ~205. a few minutes later, it did the same, and one more quick drop and rise back to ~170 kWh. Overall 53 kWh added in 18 minutes, so I would take the total charge every time, (esp EA popped up "Free" at the end). Similar experience at the same station a few weeks ago, but different charger. And only one sudden drop and rise that time.

Is this common? What could be causes?
Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Lightning Standard
Pretty standard for rivian and others based on conditions.

Most likely the battery was getting too hot so rivian backed off the power to allow itself to cool.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

There’s no indication that the truck’s throttling the charge rate because of battery overheating? Seems like there should be.

OP
OP

HokieR1T

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T LG/BM/20 AT
There’s no indication that the truck’s throttling the charge rate because of battery overheating? Seems like there should be.
There was the message that the rate was slower due to the station throttling the rate, but the sudden dip and rise lasted no more than 30-45 seconds.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
It could be thermal issues with either the station or the truck. It also might the result of "software features" of either or both.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
There was the message that the rate was slower due to the station throttling the rate, but the sudden dip and rise lasted no more than 30-45 seconds.
The EA unit's cooling system or temp sensor was on the fritz causing it to throttle down and then back up. This is also why you got a free charging session. Don't think EA would give freebies if the problem were the vehicle.

OP
OP

HokieR1T

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T LG/BM/20 AT
It could be thermal issues with either the station or the truck. It also might the result of "software features" of either or both.
That has me intrigued.

Background I should have included on the original message. Yesterday morning and again yesterday at lunch, a brief message popped up upon putting my truck in reverse - "DC Fast Charging Performance Reduced Service Soon" I called the service line and they said they would look in to it and call me back, the usual. Still waiting. The message hasn't appeared since. The sole reason I went to to this charger was to test the truck. Thus the choice for the 350 kWh. I'm curious if the two are related. But once again. 53 kWh over 18 min is a better than average charge.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
I have the Rivian wall charger, but horsed around with the 120v to help comment on another thread based on whether or not latest OTA improved 120/240 efficiency. It was 103F in the shade and it barely took a charge in 10 hrs. I would post the log if the app actually saved it. All in all, I think I gained 16 miles / 3ish% (70% to 73%). Basically a waste of time. Locked doors, no AC, vehicle quiet. Made me a believer that climate is and will be coming into play, hot or cold, in charging. I'm charging to 100% tonight at 48amp, which has been giving me about 11kwh, as I'm driving to Bear Lake tomorrow. First semi-big road trip and going to launch a 25' boat (not towing, boat is already up there). To be continued...

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It's also entirely possible that both the vehicle and charger were experiencing problems. Other than acknowledging that one or more things were not working like they should have, it would take Rivian and EA engineers to fully explain what was happening in your specific situation. Regardless, that was not normal charging behavior. Common is a different matter as some will tell you that it is common to have problems charging with EA.

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

The EA unit's cooling system or temp sensor was on the fritz causing it to throttle down and then back up. This is also why you got a free charging session. Don't think EA would give freebies if the problem were the vehicle.
This is my bet. EA's cable cooling has been very inconsistent and will aggressively throttle down when the temp sensors get hot. I highly doubt it was the car having an issue. In the majority of cases, it's always EA's shitty, unreliable equipment and cable cooling that either doesn't work correctly or simply can't take the heat of high powered charging in a particular environment.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That has me intrigued.

Background I should have included on the original message. Yesterday morning and again yesterday at lunch, a brief message popped up upon putting my truck in reverse - "DC Fast Charging Performance Reduced Service Soon" I called the service line and they said they would look in to it and call me back, the usual. Still waiting. The message hasn't appeared since. The sole reason I went to to this charger was to test the truck. Thus the choice for the 350 kWh. I'm curious if the two are related. But once again. 53 kWh over 18 min is a better than average charge.
I just got this message after going from hard acceleration to full regen getting onto the freeway to do a turnaround. Haven't DC charged in over a month.
Sponsored