Checking in... R1T for the Houston area

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Checking in... R1T for the Houston area
I spent some quality time living & working in Houston until 2010, lived north of town up 45.

tx_rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I spent some quality time living & working in Houston until 2010, lived north of town up 45.
I'm from the East side and live NE of BW8 (gf from Dallas calls it Loop 8).

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm from the East side and live NE of BW8 (gf from Dallas calls it Loop 8).
And LOL @ Loop 8. Beltway, Sam Houston Tollway, Outer Parking Lot, but that's the first I've heard it called Loop 8...funny, but she's not wrong.

"Loop 99" is the one that blows my mind when I go back now!

Sponsored

tx_rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
And LOL @ Loop 8. Beltway, Sam Houston Tollway, Outer Parking Lot, but that's the first I've heard it called Loop 8...funny, but she's not wrong.

"Loop 99" is the one that blows my mind when I go back now!
My company is one of the constructors of the Grand Parkway (SH99)!

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
I'm in Texas, born and raised, but I'm looking for a new job at the moment and it's looking like it's going to be taking me out of state more likely than not.

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm in Texas, born and raised, but I'm looking for a new job at the moment and it's looking like it's going to be taking me out of state more likely than not.
What part of TX, & what do you do?

Rivianmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d, Toyota 4Runner
Howard County Maryland- R1S

Ginny

First Name
Ginny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 escalade ext, 2019 corvette
Occupation
retired
Valencia, California, California native!

Sponsored

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
What part of TX, & what do you do?
I grew up in Austin, but I'm currently in Lubbock. I'm actually in school to be a Financial Planner, about to graduate.

Honestly it's always been kinda wishful thinking that I'd be able to afford a Rivian, but I love pickups and EVs, and Rivian is definitely the best I've seen.

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I grew up in Austin, but I'm currently in Lubbock. I'm actually in school to be a Financial Planner, about to graduate.

Honestly it's always been kinda wishful thinking that I'd be able to afford a Rivian, but I love pickups and EVs, and Rivian is definitely the best I've seen.
1) I grew up in Austin too & have been back for 10 years after working elsewhere.

2) I have a good friend that's a financial planner & a couple other contacts that might be able to help you. No reason work should take you out of TX... it's bringing hundreds (or thousands) of people a day TO Texas. Shoot me a PM & I'm happy to see if I can help.

3) A financial planner should know that purchases like a Rivian should come well after many other financial goals have been met. I totally understand the desire! Financial success often comes as a result of discipline and at least some degree of sacrifice. Use the thought of something like a Rivian to set goals & encourage smart financial behavior.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic

I’m coming to the realization that there’s a very good chance I cannot afford one of these. Really crappy feeling but I guess my love to the truck and the company got the best of my reasoning. Here’s to hoping they drop prices in a few years.

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1) I grew up in Austin too & have been back for 10 years after working elsewhere.
I do love Austin. The type of work I'm looking for (fee-only RIAs) aren't huge in Austin. I'd actually love to start my own firm someday in Austin.

2) I have a good friend that's a financial planner & a couple other contacts that might be able to help you. No reason work should take you out of TX... it's bringing hundreds (or thousands) of people a day TO Texas. Shoot me a PM & I'm happy to see if I can help.
I'll send you a PM! I'm mostly looking for culture fit, and there's a few firms nationwide that I'm absolutely in love with. If you can't tell I get very passionate about things haha. If those firms don't hire me, Dallas is HUGE for the the type of planning I want to do. I'll send you a PM!

3) A financial planner should know that purchases like a Rivian should come well after many other financial goals have been met. I totally understand the desire! Financial success often comes as a result of discipline and at least some degree of sacrifice. Use the thought of something like a Rivian to set goals & encourage smart financial behavior.
Oh I absolutely know that, at least intellectually. I've been pretty good about living below my means. I've worked as an EMT during college, and my current truck is completely paid off and is very cheap to maintain and is very reliable, and I've managed to go to school without too many loans. I'm planning to live at about the same standard of living even though my wage will be going way up and 1) Getting a sufficient emergency fund, 2) Make sure my retirement is on track, and 3) Knocking out my debt. I absolutely agree it's not smart to buy a Rivian. I don't even have a reservation. I've been running numbers for a loan and it's definitely not smart, but boy do I love this truck.

A big part of it is I don't want to buy another ICE car. I love trucks, and as it stands Rivian is the most reasonable choice so far. I'm not a big fan of Tesla in general.

It's definitely a lot emotional, which is important in financial planning, but realistically it's just a dream.

I’m coming to the realization that there’s a very good chance I cannot afford one of these. Really crappy feeling but I guess my love to the truck and the company got the best of my reasoning. Here’s to hoping they drop prices in a few years.
Yeah. The same thing happened to me. Maybe when they come out with the 105 kWh truck I'll have enough to afford a base model haha