Sponsored

Surfinkal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Data Engineer
where would you put it on the R1T exactly?
under the frunk connected to the 12v battery then secured to the best location. Definitely looks like a PITA to install, but worth it to me if I can prevent rodents from chewing on wires. I’ve been watching S. Munro’s Rivian tear down vids and am sure it can be done, but again, it won’t be easy.
Sponsored

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Oh no. We have some neighbors who's car got destroyed by squirrels. They were told it was because their car had soy based wired. Hopefully that isn't the case with Rivian...we have a LOT of squirrels.
We had a Honda Fit get chewed twice and a Ford Ranger chewed once. We were also told probably because of the soy based wire cover. It was pricey but not that bad. I sure hope Rivian is not soy based.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
We had a Honda Fit get chewed twice and a Ford Ranger chewed once. We were also told probably because of the soy based wire cover. It was pricey but not that bad. I sure hope Rivian is not soy based.
Pretty much all cars have moved to soy based wires since early 2000s as it is cheaper and better for the environment than petroleum based.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So it's cold. Warm charging battery is magnet for rodents.
Have you ever seen Elon and a rodent in the same place at the same time?

JEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, 2016 Volvo S60
Occupation
Technical Support

Sponsored

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Bummer. They move in fast this time of year!!! Every Halloween all my cars get a quick under the hood rodent inspection. This year a Chip N Dale tried to setup house under an engine cover..........

Rivian R1T R1S Rodent chewed through wire harness, causing $7K repair (and $1650 towing) FB_IMG_1669500864201

OP
OP

Mkuhi

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Sounds like a spendy experience good thing you have insurance. Your insurance did cover this right?
I'm contemplating on filing the claim

OP
OP

Mkuhi

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Was the vehicle in a garage? I'm going out to check the rodent traps... so far I have not seen any around but this has me worried.

I had a couple past experiences years ago, luckily nothing recent probably partly due to a more secure garage. In my outdoor stored 2011 Ford Flex, rodents ate the center bolt caps off the front struts, but did no other damage. On a Miata project car, they made a nest near the heater core.
Yes it was in the garage

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Bummer. They move in fast this time of year!!! Every Halloween all my cars get a quick under the hood rodent inspection. This year a Chip N Dale tried to setup house under an engine cover..........

FB_IMG_1669500864201.jpg
At least the rodents have a good taste in vehicle!

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I live in a rural farm area and have always had trouble with mice getting into the garage. They would chew through the bottom door seal, until I found the Xcluder door seal. https://buyxcluder.com/x2-kits/1629...MIqaSOn-3M-wIVojizAB2BpwrcEAQYASABEgIrT_D_BwE
It seems to be working. I haven't seen any new activity since I installed the new seal.
I tried everything in the world. I finally found the solution, 4 of these and the only mice I see are the dead ones that get dropped by the back door.

https://www.hsppr.org/barn-cats-pets-with-a-profession/

They don't bother me, I don't bother them. They don't try to come in the house, it's great. People try to say they're pets but I usually correct them. They're not pets. We just have an understanding. They're allowed to stay on my property so long as nothing else does.

Sponsored

kennyrosen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 335,Boxster S, Mercedes A220, Mercedes 320CLK
Occupation
CPA
This may be the best post of the day. Years ago I had the same thing happen to my Porsche. I was advised and confirmed that my auto comprehensive insurance covered the repair. Sure enough my insurance picked up the entire bill. Good luck.

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

I use these in my cars and will add one to the Riv when it arrives.

Loraffe 2 Pack Under Hood Animal Repeller Car Rat Repeller Rodent Repellent Ultrasonic Mouse Deterrent for 12V 24V Vehicle Automobile Get Rid of Mice in Car Engine with Ultrasound and LED Flashlights https://a.co/d/03GyBJJ
I have used one of those in a Ford Edge since April 2021, and added a second one to my Tundra a month ago. They got under the intake manifold in the truck and chewed up the knock sensor harness. Both vehicles park on the driveway. So far the devices have worked well. I have seen maybe 3 droppings in the Edge since installing. Before that, I would open the hood and get hit in the nose with what I call a urine bomb. The intake would be covered in in droppings.
Loraffe also makes a stationary device that you can set on the ground. I was going to try that when I get my R1S.

https://www.amazon.com/Loraffe-Repe...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

FB_IMG_1669500864201.jpg
Just Dale now. Be careful, he’ll indubitably be out for revenge.
Yes, indubitably.
Sponsored