Sponsored

Mkuhi

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So it's cold. Warm charging battery is magnet for rodents. So far estimated cost replacing harness going to tailgate is $1650 towing one way plus $4000 (just got new estimate and repairs are over 7k)repairs. Harness is nowhere to be found, so it's in the shop for over 2 weeks and counting.

I have following questions:
1. Are harnesses made of gold??
2. How in waterproof truck rodents are in chewing on wires?????
Sponsored

Last edited:

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
Oh no. We have some neighbors who's car got destroyed by squirrels. They were told it was because their car had soy based wired. Hopefully that isn't the case with Rivian...we have a LOT of squirrels.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

The rodents were probably not inside the waterproof part of the truck. The cab and gear tunnel are the only water proof parts. Most of the wiring is outside that. The wiring is waterproofed by being wrapped in insulation and using waterproof connectors.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I had a car years ago that got wire chewed and it was. Similar repair cost for a much cheaper car. The problem is a factory repair is a connector to connector repair. They don’t splice the wires, they put an entire new section. Unfortunately the wires that go to the tailgate are the longest run and in the case of a Rivian there is a whole skid plate structure that needs to be dropped to access it.

For the required job I’m not at all surprised the quoted cost. I know it sucks, so does the parts availability, but it’s one of those things where it’s really no one’s fault but everyone takes it on the chin. My sympathies OP

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I had a car years ago that got wire chewed and it was. Similar repair cost for a much cheaper car. The problem is a factory repair is a connector to connector repair. They don’t splice the wires, they put an entire new section. Unfortunately the wires that go to the tailgate are the longest run and in the case of a Rivian there is a whole skid plate structure that needs to be dropped to access it.

For the required job I’m not at all surprised the quoted cost. I know it sucks, so does the parts availability, but it’s one of those things where it’s really no one’s fault but everyone takes it on the chin. My sympathies OP
It was no one’s fault before the unintended consequences of soy-based wire insulation were known. At this point I think either manufacturers need to revert to the old plastic or add something to the soy-based insulation which makes it beyond unpalatable to rodents.

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
So it's cold. Warm charging battery is magnet for rodents. So far estimated cost replacing harness going to tailgate is $1650 towing one way plus $4000 repairs. Harness is nowhere to be found, so it's in the shop for over 2 weeks and counting.
I have following questions.
1. Are harnesses made of gold??
2. How in waterproof truck rodents are in chewing on wires?????
Sounds like a spendy experience good thing you have insurance. Your insurance did cover this right?

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Was the vehicle in a garage? I'm going out to check the rodent traps... so far I have not seen any around but this has me worried.

I had a couple past experiences years ago, luckily nothing recent probably partly due to a more secure garage. In my outdoor stored 2011 Ford Flex, rodents ate the center bolt caps off the front struts, but did no other damage. On a Miata project car, they made a nest near the heater core.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
That sucks. Sorry to hear that. I have an old Land Cruiser that they squirrels like to nest in. I've just gotten used to checking a lot and also spraying some mint based repellant spray around the underside.

Surfinkal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Data Engineer
I use these in my cars and will add one to the Riv when it arrives.

Loraffe 2 Pack Under Hood Animal Repeller Car Rat Repeller Rodent Repellent Ultrasonic Mouse Deterrent for 12V 24V Vehicle Automobile Get Rid of Mice in Car Engine with Ultrasound and LED Flashlights https://a.co/d/03GyBJJ

Sponsored

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
I’m surprised they work….
When my parents bought their property up north the old house had those ultrasonic deterrents I’m every room. Yet the house was crawling with mice and squirrels.

Could hear them in the walls and when sleeping could hear em run across the floor.

Needless to say they built another house on the property and tore down much of the old one. What’s left of the old house is now a storage house lol

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

Really sorry to read this. The biggest question to me is - when you get the Rivian back, how are you going to prevent this from happening again?

Beside the other suggestions made, maybe consider getting a cat, specifically one that hunts. Ours significantly reduced the rat population around our house, and would welcome any rodents attempting to get near the house.

Surfinkal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Data Engineer
I’m surprised they work….
When my parents bought their property up north the old house had those ultrasonic deterrents I’m every room. Yet the house was crawling with mice and squirrels.

Could hear them in the walls and when sleeping could hear em run across the floor.

Needless to say they built another house on the property and tore down much of the old one. What’s left of the old house is now a storage house lol
Been using them for three years and so far so good, but obviously, YMMV.

digitalsanto

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I use these in my cars and will add one to the Riv when it arrives.

Loraffe 2 Pack Under Hood Animal Repeller Car Rat Repeller Rodent Repellent Ultrasonic Mouse Deterrent for 12V 24V Vehicle Automobile Get Rid of Mice in Car Engine with Ultrasound and LED Flashlights https://a.co/d/03GyBJJ
where would you put it on the R1T exactly?
Sponsored