Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Good evening everyone.

I know there are none out yet, but was wondering what peoples opinions are on how rock sliders / tube style running boards would look on the Rivian?

I understand it can lower itself to help getting in, but I am thinking from an aesthetic standpoint as well as help with parking dings. All my friends that have had trucks or jeeps with them say they help a lot in tight parking situations to avoid parking dings from doors opening.

There are a few fabrication shops in southern california that I am sure would love to get their hands on a Rivian to show off their product.

Thanks

Adam
Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
These Amps aren’t necessarily going to provide slider or parking ding protection, but they are tremendous for taller vehicle access and deploy/retract with door open/close. I replaced our fixed HD steps on a Sierra with them and they are great.

https://www.amp-research.com/

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I think something retractable would be good to minimize the range loss as much as possible. Although that would negate your door ding protection.

Something like this.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I’ve owned 3 vehicles with running boards, they all stick beyond the body edge 1-2”, and none are effective at stopping door dings. Most car doors have a sweeping edge where the outermost point is well beyond the point that would contact a running board.

The main function of rock sliders is to provide a large location for jacking a vehicle so you can more easily change a tire in a rock garden or to protect your rocker panel and lower doors while hard off roading.

I see a lot of vehicles in the PNW with “sliders” with footsteps. These are more likely to hang a truck up on an obstacle than they are to slide it.

My opinion is to get sliders only if you plan to do serious off roading. If you or a passenger need help getting into the vehicle, get running boards.

Sponsored

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

thanks everyone for the input... Does anyone have an opinion on how it would look simply for aesthetic purposes?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Last edited:

dsps70

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model sP90D/ ram 1500/lexus 350RH
Occupation
medicine
I think something retractable would be good to minimize the range loss as much as possible. Although that would negate your door ding protection.

Something like this.
The (similar) retractable running board on my 19' ram 1500 Longhorn have an option to keep running board deployed when parked - so locked in the open position when parked.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
thanks everyone for the input... Does anyone have an opinion on how it would look simply for aesthetic purposes?
I wouldn't add either of them just for aesthetics.... But Rock sliders wouldn't be that visible (not sure how they will be mounted yet) and running boards will probably look like running boards on any other truck.

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Don't try to use running boards as rock sliders. Don't get rock sliders for aesthetics, unless you mean the aesthetics of the rest of your vehicle when you save it from taking scrapes on rocks.

Honestly, the underside of the vehicle is one giant rock slider. Grab some momentum and skateboard it lol

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

These Amps aren’t necessarily going to provide slider or parking ding protection, but they are tremendous for taller vehicle access and deploy/retract with door open/close. I replaced our fixed HD steps on a Sierra with them and they are great.

https://www.amp-research.com/
Thanks. my wife is only 4'10" so i might look into these.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Thanks. my wife is only 4'10" so i might look into these.
My wife is 5’2” on a tall day and found getting in to R1T at its lowest setting was easy. Regular height was difficult.

Park/kneel mode makes it even lower.

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

My wife is 5’2” on a tall day and found getting in to R1T at its lowest setting was easy. Regular height was difficult.

Park/kneel mode makes it even lower.
Nice. thanks for the update. For some reason I thought I read on another thread that park / kneel mode not currently active. Is that true?
Sponsored