Clubs

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
The Rivian (and the F150 hybrid/lightning, + others with decent power outlets) are the first where an attached awning makes sense for me.

In all of my ICE trucks, I just use an EZ-up, since I often place it over the end of the shell cap so I get storage + tailgate + EZ-up coverage.

But with the R1T, you get gear tunnel + 120V immediately available under the cover, which seems like a great setup.

Looks great! And damn, so happy I switched back to Rivian Blue. Coming from Voodoo Blue on my Tundra, I didn’t think I’d be happy with it, but it looks great, especially in your pics.

PurpleTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Roam Adventure Co also offers bigger awning such as 8ft. I assume it's the same installation process?

Also how stable is the awning? I see you have the tie downs into the grass. Is that necessary? If I'm at a place where there is no soft ground would this still work?

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Roam Adventure Co also offers bigger awning such as 8ft. I assume it's the same installation process?

Also how stable is the awning? I see you have the tie downs into the grass. Is that necessary? If I'm at a place where there is no soft ground would this still work?
I might worry about the length of the 8ft awning in either direction from the attachment point to the cross bars, not sure how far is too far. Otherwise I expect the installation process would be the same unless they require more attachment points.

I have only deployed it the one time so far and the tie downs were very necessary otherwise the poles have to balance and also hold the load.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

On second deployment the awning is more stable than I thought without the tie downs, it is just hard to setup solo. With any wind though you would probably need them.

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Any idea how the wind noise on the freeway is with it stored? That's one thing that always worries me about roof mounting anything.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Any idea how the wind noise on the freeway is with it stored? That's one thing that always worries me about roof mounting anything.
I do hear some wind noise but I am not sure if it is the awning or the cross bars, hope to get a fairing at some point so that may help. Its certainly not excessive in my POV.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

That's a good point do the rails make noise with nothing on them?

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
That's a good point do the rails make noise with nothing on them?
In general, cross rails do make noise at highway speeds with nothing on them.

People pay lots of money to get fancier aerodynamically shaped rails that make less wind noise but still also hold a hefty load. But even those are not "noise free"

I can't imagine the Rivian cross rails - when mounted on the roof - do *not* make noticeable noise at highway speeds.
Sponsored