Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Day 3 Update. Traveled from my camping spot NW of Price UT to Grand Junction CO. Didn’t make as much progress as I would have liked, too many loose ends to tie up with work in the AM. Also ran into a car fire that blocked HWY 6 on the way towards Price so I backtracked and went towards Salina, UT EA station. This definitely added some distance to my journey but the drive on I70 between Salina and Green River is beautiful. Still managed >1.8 mi/kWh despite high speed and a couple mountain passes.

Charge 1: Salina UT EA station. 83 kWh delivered in 36 min, 16-70%
Charge 2: Green River UT EA station. First 350kW stall I connected to limited to 36 kW so I switched to the 150kW station next to it. 61 kWh delivered in 25 min, 27-67%
Charge 3: Grand Junction, CO EA Station. 62kWh delivered in 26 min, 20-61%

I think I should be able to make it into Nebraska today and then hopefully most of the way to Wisconsin tomorrow

Annoyance of the day. For the stretch of the drive between Green River and Grand Junction my R1T was giving my the “Adaptive Cruise Control Not Available“ message so I had to drive the old fashion way. On the bright side I wasn’t constrained to 85 mph. A hard reset was required to reset the radar sensors.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

Thanks guys. I wasn’t aware of the charger in Trego so great tip @scooter.

My brother lives in Chetak and my mom in Ladysmith so as long as the EA chargers work in Eau Claire I should be golden to get there. My father also lives up in Eagle River so if I want to try to get up there I will need to get creative to get back.

The other stretch I am less sure about is through Iowa and southern Minnesota. Looks like enough fast chargers but with less familiar operators at least to me.

Wow! This sounds like a great trip. My Brother also lived in Chetek, and actually had a fishing resort there called Kingfisher and worked for the local realtor there too. Unfortunately he passed a couple years ago. Went up to see my sister in law last summer, stopping by the Rivian plant in Normal on the way. It's pretty remote up there, and I wish you well on finding charging stations with any real speed. Looks like most are along the interstate, but definitely need some larger chargers in remote areas up there. Good luck fishing while you're there. Going to go back up at some point myself to see my sister in law, but will definitely be interested in where you find places to charge. Can always plug into someone's laundry socket worst case scenario. Enjoy the trip.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Don't look to Albert Lea to charge, the fast charge stations there have not worked since they were installed.
I assume you are referring to the ZEF chargers and not the EA station that opened there this week? From PlugShare it seems that at least two of the EA stalls are working.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

My brother lives in Chetak and my mom in Ladysmith so as long as the EA chargers work in Eau Claire I should be golden to get there. My father also lives up in Eagle River so if I want to try to get up there I will need to get creative to get back.

The other stretch I am less sure about is through Iowa and southern Minnesota. Looks like enough fast chargers but with less familiar operators at least to me.
The Albert Lea EA station opened up this week in MN. So you could run up I-35, and then along 90 into Wisconsin.
I wanted to try and skip Hermiston EA because of recent issues there but wasn’t comfortable with the margins to make it to Island City. EA said only 1/4 stations was working there. Turns out 2 were on but the one that was ‘working’ was maxing out at 36kW. I switched to the other that worked great, plug and play and didn’t even charge my account.. Yay Free Electrons!
Yeah Hermiston was totally down leading up to the fourth, so we skipped it from Yakima to Island City. On the way back the app said one cable was working, and it would have been a more optimal stop, but I definitely didn't trust it. Thankfully Island City and Huntington worked out, though they need help too.

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz 5010, Focus RS
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
I assume you are referring to the ZEF chargers and not the EA station that opened there this week? From PlugShare it seems that at least two of the EA stalls are working.
Hey, yes was referring to the ZEF at the Trail's Travel Center. Which is too bad as it's a convenient place to stop.

The EA station must have just opened! Thank goodness as that stretch needed one and I am often visiting Albert Lea. But the latest check-in doesn't seem promising. You can try it and let us know!

I would still suggest charging enough at the Northwood, IA Kum & Go on I-35 to make the Woodbury, MN EA station on I-94 just in case Albert Lea doesn't work out. Either way let us know how it goes. Following along.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Made some good distance yesterday, traveled from Grand Junction CO to North Platte Nebraska. I encountered my first F150 Lightning in Frisco, CO and about 5 minutes later my second, in fact within 5 min there was two R1Ts and 2 Lightnings at the charging station at the same time.

Charge 1 Glenwood Springs (Only 1 station up, but the other 3 were being serviced as I was charging). Plugged in and it started charging… Free electrons the second time this trip. Didn’t record all of the details but charged to around 70%.

Charge 2 Frisco CO (only 2 stations up, 71 kWh delivered in 28 min. 21-70%

Charge 3 Fort Morgan CO (3/4 stations on), 68kWh delivered over 4 connections in 32 min. 23-69%. Some issues here started fine at the first 350kW stall at >200kW then it dropped to 38kW. Switched to a 150kW stall and charged for 18 min until it failed, ‘unplug and try again’ in the truck. Switched to the other 350kW stall and it was too stuck at 38kW so I switched back to the 150kW that was working and finished up.

Charge 4 Ogallala, NE (everything looked operational), 42kWh delivered in 17 min. 13-38%. First time ever charging by the min instead of per kWh. My 42kWh only cost me $4.35 after tax, not going to argue at that price…

Finally found a camping spot at I80 Lakeside campground that had 50A power. Called ahead to make sure it would be ok to charge. Rate was like $37 with the 50A, bathrooms and showers. Only have the Rivian travel charger with me so 8kW but added a total of 83kWh so far and probably another hour before I leave so not bad. Freeway is a bit close so a lot of noise overnight.

Rivian R1T R1S Roadtrip!  Portland OR to Northern Wisconsin. 6AFA2894-DC89-4726-B414-8311F74453CD

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Driving through the plains of Nebraska I decided to do some testing of efficiency vs speed. ~15 min sections see photos. Not scientific by any means.

65 ~ 2.1 mi/kWh
75 ~ 1.9 mi/kWh
85 ~ 1.6 mi/kWh

Keep in mind 20” ATs, roof rack with awning installed, tent over bed with dry bag on top.

Rivian R1T R1S Roadtrip!  Portland OR to Northern Wisconsin. 985D9A25-AB4D-4373-8315-DCA819610649

Rivian R1T R1S Roadtrip!  Portland OR to Northern Wisconsin. 3FF8126F-D9CC-4E9B-A58E-8CB3C5189C6D

Rivian R1T R1S Roadtrip!  Portland OR to Northern Wisconsin. B3AB0A36-A0D9-4174-B6AB-086C5B6391B9

Rivian R1T R1S Roadtrip!  Portland OR to Northern Wisconsin. 4665C5C7-1254-473B-A716-BBFF8F50826C

Turnipsaregreat

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rickgeorgerealestate.com
Vehicles
Ioniq 5
Occupation
Realtor
Charge 3 Perry, UT 112kWh deliver over two sessions totaling 74 min. 15-95%. It was also pretty hot here so I was blasting the AC. Another meeting as well hence the long charge, I finally just stopped it and went and parked in the shade.
Similarly averaged around 1.8mi/kWh today traveling at 85mph most of the day
It was nice talking to you for a second at this stop. (I was driving the blue LEAF, charging next to you...)

Cycleman

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe, Jeep Wrangler

I-80 truck stop in Iowa outside of Davenport has them and good place to walk around to kill time

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
From PlugShare it seems that at least two of the EA stalls are working.
A PlugShare check-in at the Albert Lea EA an hour ago said station 2 was working for their ID.4 so maybe 🤞

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Driving through the plains of Nebraska I decided to do some testing of efficiency vs speed. ~15 min sections see photos. Not scientific by any means.

65 ~ 2.1 mi/kWh
75 ~ 1.9 mi/kWh
85 ~ 1.6 mi/kWh

Keep in mind 20” ATs, roof rack with awning installed, tent over bed with dry bag on top.

985D9A25-AB4D-4373-8315-DCA819610649.jpeg

3FF8126F-D9CC-4E9B-A58E-8CB3C5189C6D.jpeg

B3AB0A36-A0D9-4174-B6AB-086C5B6391B9.jpeg

4665C5C7-1254-473B-A716-BBFF8F50826C.jpeg
Thanks. This sort of confirms an observation I've had that ABRP seems more sensitive to speed than the R1T actually is. For me to get ABRP to match my energy usage at around 75 to 80 mph, I need to use ~2.6mi/kwh in ABRP for their reference energy usage at 65mph.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

A PlugShare check-in at the Albert Lea EA an hour ago said station 2 was working for their ID.4 so maybe 🤞
So I just sent it to the EA station in Albert Lea. Reports from PlugShare are accurate, stalls 2 and 3 appear operational. Not exactly what I would expect from a 350kW station as it is maxing out around 150kW.

Either way 👍

Rivian R1T R1S Roadtrip!  Portland OR to Northern Wisconsin. B0D76D80-7F36-4AA9-B6FC-EF1B58F70BE2

Last edited:

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
So I just sent it to the EA station in Albert Lea. Reports from PlugShare appear accurate, stalls 2 and 3 appear operational. Not exactly what I would expect from a 350kW station as it is maxing out below 150kW a lot like all 350kW stations used to behave on 400V packs, maybe it needs an update or something.

Either way 👍
Right on, glad you got a charge and thanks for the report!

wreighven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition 4x4
Clubs

So I just sent it to the EA station in Albert Lea. Reports from PlugShare are accurate, stalls 2 and 3 appear operational. Not exactly what I would expect from a 350kW station as it is maxing out around 150kW.

Either way 👍

B0D76D80-7F36-4AA9-B6FC-EF1B58F70BE2.jpeg
Interesting that Apple Maps shows the station as Temporarily Closed. Glad you got a charge, and thanks for posting this fun trip for us all to follow along...

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Interesting that Apple Maps shows the station as Temporarily Closed. Glad you got a charge, and thanks for posting this fun trip for us all to follow along...
It just opened this week, I would certainly trust PlugShare or the EA app over what Apple Maps says. I wasn’t too concerned but I had enough range to get back to Northwoods if it was needed.
Sponsored