Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Hey All. Starting out on another cross country road trip today in Portland, OR and plan to make it as far as Northern Wisconsin.

I’ll plan to update my charging experience on the way, where I charged and for how long. Also I will take note of my efficiency and provide photos of cool camping spots I find along the way. Let me know if there is any other information you want me to share about this trip.

Also any tips locals in the Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin area want to share would be great.

Plan to make it to around the Oregon/Idaho border today.
Sponsored

scooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 1250GS
Clubs

Not sure of your final destination in WI but the 50KW charger in Trego works and with the bar attached makes for a nice place to stop. As I’m sure you’ve already seen in PlugShare, anything over 50KW charging is rare once you get too far from the freeway. I was just up there two weekends ago and charged at the campsite overnight which worked very very well.
Drive safe, looking forward to the report!

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

Good luck and safe travels. I have a cabin in Hayward Wi. Let me know if you have questions or issues.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Not sure of your final destination in WI but the 50KW charger in Trego works and with the bar attached makes for a nice place to stop. As I’m sure you’ve already seen in PlugShare, anything over 50KW charging is rare once you get too far from the freeway. I was just up there two weekends ago and charged at the campsite overnight which worked very very well.
Drive safe, looking forward to the report!
Good luck and safe travels. I have a cabin in Hayward Wi. Let me know if you have questions or issues.
Thanks guys. I wasn’t aware of the charger in Trego so great tip @scooter.

My brother lives in Chetak and my mom in Ladysmith so as long as the EA chargers work in Eau Claire I should be golden to get there. My father also lives up in Eagle River so if I want to try to get up there I will need to get creative to get back.

The other stretch I am less sure about is through Iowa and southern Minnesota. Looks like enough fast chargers but with less familiar operators at least to me.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I am in southeastern WI and wish you much fun and great luck charging. WI, especially northern WI is rough charger-wise. There are trips to very popular and populated destinations in Northern WI I just cant make due to lack of charging infrastructure.

If you make it to the bottom half of the state happy to help guide you.

Best I can do is Minocqua Brewing Company! https://minocquabrewingcompany.com/

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Day 1 Trip Report:

Not a banner day for either the R1T or EA for that matter. Was getting those stupid ‘Unplug and try again‘ errors in Hood River. I tried the reset that has fixed these issues for me in the past to no avail but persistence paid off because it finally worked. Was so close to giving up and heading back home!

Started the day at ~93% SOC and had to take the pooch to the vet in Portland before heading out.

Charge 1 in Hood River. 2/4 stalls were down, one I used appeared buggy but worked (eventually) see above. Delivered 45.3kWh in 21min 47-80% SOC.

I wanted to try and skip Hermiston EA because of recent issues there but wasn’t comfortable with the margins to make it to Island City. EA said only 1/4 stations was working there. Turns out 2 were on but the one that was ‘working’ was maxing out at 36kW. I switched to the other that worked great, plug and play and didn’t even charge my account.. Yay Free Electrons!

Charge 2 in Hermiston. 2/4 stalls where down, one only giving 36kW, the other is free. Delivered 52.1kWh in 20min 33-67%SOC.

Charge 3 in Island City. Trouble free stop. 61.2kWh delivered in 24min. 27-69% SOC

Plan was to camp near Huntington after a quick charging stop but it was very windy so I decided to soldier on and booked a hotel in Boise.

Charge 4 in Huntington. 2/4 stalls down and the other two only doing 36kW. So took my 17min to get 10kWh which was enough to get to the EA station in Boise.

Charge 5 in Boise. Trouble Free stop. Just charged enough so I was comfortable running my fridge overnight in the truck. 27kWh delivered in 10 min. 11-27%SOC

Planning to wrap up whatever work I need to do this morning and head towards Utah, maybe even as far as Grand Junction CO today but that may be ambitious.

Overall I got around 1.8 mi/kWh. This is with my awning, roof rack and front runner Typhoon on the tent all potentially impacting my aero.

Rivian R1T R1S Roadtrip!  Portland OR to Northern Wisconsin. 33D8856A-0ABC-4414-8F4E-F5C404616BA9

Rivian R1T R1S Roadtrip!  Portland OR to Northern Wisconsin. 37F1CFB8-1F3B-423C-AE8D-A7BEF04B5E3F

Rivian R1T R1S Roadtrip!  Portland OR to Northern Wisconsin. A0E90101-7F54-4AAA-981C-55AFE6A99FEF

Rivian R1T R1S Roadtrip!  Portland OR to Northern Wisconsin. 57DA9CF1-BF6D-43C5-88F4-4CD9C3D35ABD

Rivian R1T R1S Roadtrip!  Portland OR to Northern Wisconsin. 1BA57CC5-211D-4EFC-8410-F1FE9E0947C2

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz 5010, Focus RS
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
My brother lives in Chetak and my mom in Ladysmith so as long as the EA chargers work in Eau Claire I should be golden to get there.
I just charged in Eau Claire yesterday at the EA and it was our fastest charge yet at something like 440mi/hr so can confirm it works.

The other stretch I am less sure about is through Iowa and southern Minnesota. Looks like enough fast chargers but with less familiar operators at least to me.
I've done the I-35 stretch between Des Moines and St Paul a few times now and no issues.
I'd recommend charging up before leaving DSM and then stopping part way to charge again at the Northwood Kum & Go. That station will automatically charge you an additional $0.20/min after the first 35 min of charging but you can unplug and start a new session to avoid that.
Don't look to Albert Lea to charge, the fast charge stations there have not worked since they were installed.
After Northwood, IA you can shoot for the EA 350kW in Woodbury, MN then on to Eau Claire.
Let me know if you have questions, happy to try to help in that region.

Edit: The fast charge stations at the Trail's Travel Center have not worked since installed. There are now EA stations operable in Albert Lea (thank goodness.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Much better day charging today, the heat slowed down a few of the chargers but not significantly.

Started in Boise ID and am now camped north of Price, UT.

Charge 1 Boise ID, 91kWh delivered in 51 min, 18-85%. I was in a meeting and no one was waiting to use the chargers so I just let it go.

Charge 2 Hepburn ID, 76kWh delivered in 32min, 18-70%. This was a 150kW stall, one wasn’t working and a Bolt EUV was using the other.

Charge 3 Perry, UT 112kWh deliver over two sessions totaling 74 min. 15-95%. It was also pretty hot here so I was blasting the AC. Another meeting as well hence the long charge, I finally just stopped it and went and parked in the shade.

Charge 4 Spanish Fork, UT 38kWh delivered in 19 min, 51-77%

Similarly averaged around 1.8mi/kWh today traveling at 85mph most of the day

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

My father also lives up in Eagle River so if I want to try to get up there I will need to get creative to get back.
I don't have my R1T yet, but Stevens Point is the closest fast charger at 50kW. With covid I've seen it go down from time to time since the folks aren't on site as much.

ABRP has me stop at Tomah which coming from the Chicago area is a bit out of the way.

I guess the only suggestion would be to pray for perfect weather and drive slow lol.

I go up about once a month and have been watching for new chargers for a few years now. I39 between portage and Wausau is on Bidens list, so hopefully it gets some future love.

Not sure why EA doesn't go in to Wausau at least.

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

FYI: Saw this note posted on the Mach-e forum. A report from Electrify America of a system wide failure. Charging as a guest was recommended.
Rivian R1T R1S Roadtrip!  Portland OR to Northern Wisconsin. 1658238701195

Sponsored

Bigskyinminnie

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc GL450
MN is tough for sure. Only DC fast in Woodbury but past that to the east, EA is decently represented. I took my first trip two weeks ago and really improved my efficiency when drafting semi-trucks. From around 1.8 to 2.9 at 70mph. Also GPS checked the speedo and learned at highway speeds, R1T with AT's shows 3mph faster than actual speed travelled. Something to keep in mind. Good luck with rest of the trip!

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

MN is tough for sure. Only DC fast in Woodbury but past that to the east, EA is decently represented. I took my first trip two weeks ago and really improved my efficiency when drafting semi-trucks. From around 1.8 to 2.9 at 70mph. Also GPS checked the speedo and learned at highway speeds, R1T with AT's shows 3mph faster than actual speed travelled. Something to keep in mind. Good luck with rest of the trip!
Thanks. I was aware of the speedo difference. I put in a service ticket at the request of my guide and service said it was normal and to be expected.

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning