Sponsored

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Started the road trip from central MI to Almont, CO. First charging stop is at the Electrify America charger in Portage, MI. Drove 150 miles at an efficiency of 2.03 mi/kWh.

All EA dispensers appear to be up and working at this station. Started out charging at 200 kw and maintained a good rate throughout.

Rivian R1T R1S Road Trip Underway:  MI to CO image
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Have a nice trip!

OP
OP
bhopkins

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Second stop was at Electrify America, Joliet, IL. Surprisingly, all pedestals were working but one dispenser was flagged as not functional. When I arrived, only one open pedestal so I made a full house.

Had to hook up to a 150kw dispenser but pulled 150kw for quite a while before tapering.

Averaging 2.16 mi/kWh driving through the Chicagoland area.
Rivian R1T R1S Road Trip Underway:  MI to CO DEED87B8-21CF-43B1-8323-21DA0329BC0A

wreighven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition 4x4
Clubs

@bhopkins I appreciate these types of posts. I am coming from two Teslas and the charging experience on road trips is the only thing that is giving me a little heartburn about turning away from Tesla. Please keep us posted on your journey!

Sponsored

OP
OP
bhopkins

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
@bhopkins I appreciate these types of posts. I am coming from two Teslas and the charging experience on road trips is the only thing that is giving me a little heartburn about turning away from Tesla. Please keep us posted on your journey!
Will do. That’s my purpose in doing this. I came to the R1T from a Tesla Model S so was spoiled by the Tesla Supercharger network (especially since I had lifetime free charging). You’ll get the good, bad, and ugly from this trip.

OP
OP
bhopkins

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
OP
OP
bhopkins

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Third charging stop was at Electrify America, Genesco, IL (at a Casey’s). Nice stop. All pedestals and dispensers were working. NFC reader didn’t work so had to start the dispenser with the EA app. Six or one half dozen to me. Just wish the EA equipment were a bit better maintained.

Efficiency and average speed down slightly. Hit some stop and go traffic due to road construction.

Next charger stop has me a bit worried as it doesn’t have a good rating on Plugshare. But, we charged longer at this stop to make sure we have enough energy to get to a backup charger if needed.

Rivian R1T R1S Road Trip Underway:  MI to CO 390C5E92-C53D-4522-A72F-F6B2B8A229EE

Rivian R1T R1S Road Trip Underway:  MI to CO E2244AD9-C90D-4066-9502-C4086667BBB9

OP
OP
bhopkins

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thank goodness for Plugshare warning me the Electrify America charger at Williamsburg, IA was mostly unavailable. Got there and the entire station (all 4 dispensers) were down. Fortunately, I had enough charge to get to the next charger.

The next charger was a Shell/Greenlots charger at Colfax, IA. Couldn’t connect to either dispenser. Called Tech Support for Greenlots and they rebooted both stations. One station completely failed during the reboot (insert boot media error on screen) and the other station rebooted but I couldn’t connect.

Went 12 miles down the road to another Greenlots station at Altoona, IA. Tried to connect to both stations And couldn’t. Called tech support and while he tried to remotely start one station it completely dropped off of his network. The other station would start according to tech support but wouldn’t connect to the vehicle. Decided to move to the next station, also in Altoona.

Got to that station and now down to 38 miles of range. Start to get a bit nervous. Couldn’t connect to either. These looked like much newer dispensers. Decided to call Rivian support. After talking it though, they had me do a hard reset on the R1T. After that, I was able to connect and successfully charge.

I think this was a combination of down stations/dispensers causing some form of corruption in some of the charging/communication modules of the truck. The hard reset (according to tech support) purged everything and restored everything back to normal.

At any rate, I may do a hard reset next time I get a similar error. Tech support did say that if the vehicle goes into a normal sleep mode, that will do the same as the hard reset.

Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

As soon as i see a "unplug and try again" error I hard reset (the 2 times the truck hasn't been able to connect to a charger I got that error). In fact, I'd hard reset before trying tech support for either the charger and/or Rivian.

OP
OP
bhopkins

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
As soon as i see a "unplug and try again" error I hard reset (the 2 times the truck hasn't been able to connect to a charger I got that error). In fact, I'd hard reset before trying tech support for either the charger and/or Rivian.
Yep, I’ll be doing that also. However, I do think it is important to call Rivian. There’s something in the software that is throwing a glitch. Would be nice for them to get enough cases to hopefully find the cause and patch the issue.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

So it has evolved some through the updates. Early on the “Unplug and Try again” error was always the truck and always fixed with a hard reset.

Recently I have been getting a mix, where that error is due to a bad station instead of an issue with the truck sometimes. So I will usually switch stations at least once (if possible) before going to a reset.

Also for what it’s worth this was on my latest work order, so they at least acknowledge that some bug was fixed in one of the software updates.

Rivian R1T R1S Road Trip Underway:  MI to CO 1660282496043

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Thank goodness for Plugshare warning me the Electrify America charger at Williamsburg, IA was mostly unavailable. Got there and the entire station (all 4 dispensers) were down. Fortunately, I had enough charge to get to the next charger.

The next charger was a Shell/Greenlots charger at Colfax, IA. Couldn’t connect to either dispenser. Called Tech Support for Greenlots and they rebooted both stations. One station completely failed during the reboot (insert boot media error on screen) and the other station rebooted but I couldn’t connect.

Went 12 miles down the road to another Greenlots station at Altoona, IA. Tried to connect to both stations And couldn’t. Called tech support and while he tried to remotely start one station it completely dropped off of his network. The other station would start according to tech support but wouldn’t connect to the vehicle. Decided to move to the next station, also in Altoona.

Got to that station and now down to 38 miles of range. Start to get a bit nervous. Couldn’t connect to either. These looked like much newer dispensers. Decided to call Rivian support. After talking it though, they had me do a hard reset on the R1T. After that, I was able to connect and successfully charge.

I think this was a combination of down stations/dispensers causing some form of corruption in some of the charging/communication modules of the truck. The hard reset (according to tech support) purged everything and restored everything back to normal.

At any rate, I may do a hard reset next time I get a similar error. Tech support did say that if the vehicle goes into a normal sleep mode, that will do the same as the hard reset.
At roughly what percentage does the rate begin to taper????

OP
OP
bhopkins

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So it has evolved some through the updates. Early on the “Unplug and Try again” error was always the truck and always fixed with a hard reset.

Recently I have been getting a mix, where that error is due to a bad station instead of an issue with the truck sometimes. So I will usually switch stations at least once (if possible) before going to a reset.

Also for what it’s worth this was on my latest work order, so they at least acknowledge that some bug was fixed in one of the software updates.

1660282496043.png
Interesting. I’m on software version 2022.27.2. But, we had been driving all day and were at a very low state of charge. Today will be another day of driving all day so will see if it happens again.
Sponsored