Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Yah , those panel misalignments are not acceptable. Hopefully they fix those in the quality control phase?
Wasn't that supposedly what they were doing the last few months?

Just to clarify: I think it's fantastic they think they're starting deliveries. I want my Rivian! But the constant reminder of "over-deliver" only works if you actually OVER deliver.

I genuinely hope the in-person product blows my socks off. I do worry my expectations are too high for a startup, however.

Please prove me wrong, RJ!
Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Wasn't that supposedly what they were doing the last few months?

Just to clarify: I think it's fantastic they think they're starting deliveries. I want my Rivian! But the constant reminder of "over-deliver" only works if you actually OVER deliver.

I genuinely hope the in-person product blows my socks off. I do worry my expectations are too high for a startup, however.

Please prove me wrong, RJ!
Presuming it’s not the camera angle etc, no way it will get to the customer like that. It’s not a Ford or a Tesla.

Quality is the most important thing on a new product and everybody knows it.
Deming’s ghost would haunt them forever…

Given the calibre of MFG people Rivian has, I have very high expectations.

Had this on the wall in the metrology lab at an old job
Rivian R1T R1S RJ tweets about production of first customer Rivian R1T! 1631656200269

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer

DocAdvocate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not a Rivian
Pretty sure that will get fixed. After all there are pictures of pre-production R1Ts in CO right now and their panel gaps look just fine.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Bloomberg said:
the company had already committed delivering 100 customer vehicles in September. The hitch is that it cannot yet legally initiate actual deliveries. On Aug. 30, Bloomberg reported that the company had yet to get the regulatory green light to ship its wares.
May be sloppy reporting based on the prior report, as they didn't get comment from Rivian to that effect. In fact, Rivian did not comment further, per the article.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Bloomberg seems to be using themselves as a source: references an Aug 30th article that claimed Rivian had been producing saleable trucks for 2 weeks:
As for the hardware, Rivian started building saleable trucks two weeks ago and is confident it will get the regulatory green light to ship them soon. The goal at the moment, according to people familiar with the matter: 100 deliveries in the month of September.​
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/news...llion-worth-reflects-confidence-not-cash-flow

I give this medium to low credibility "people familiar with the matter" is a pretty low bar. About half the people on this forum would lay claim to that designation (with deliveries starting from this week to 2 years from never)

Tommy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 HD Fatboy
The under-nose masks… Ugh.
I found this part interesting too: "it cannot yet legally initiate actual deliveries"
Is there some other regulatory piece that they're still waiting for?
Wonder if the delay in regulatory approval has anything do with the fact that Rivian is not a union shop?
An additional $4500 tax credit for union made electric vehicles has been proposed. Don't know. Curious. ?‍♂

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Bloomberg seems to be using themselves as a source: references an Aug 30th article that claimed Rivian had been producing saleable trucks for 2 weeks:
As for the hardware, Rivian started building saleable trucks two weeks ago and is confident it will get the regulatory green light to ship them soon. The goal at the moment, according to people familiar with the matter: 100 deliveries in the month of September.​
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/news...llion-worth-reflects-confidence-not-cash-flow

I give this medium to low credibility "people familiar with the matter" is a pretty low bar. About half the people on this forum would lay claim to that designation (with deliveries starting from this week to 2 years from never)
“People familiar with the matter” in reporting usually means “our source at(company) isn’t authorized to talk about it”.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
“People familiar with the matter” in reporting usually means “our source at(company) isn’t authorized to talk about it”.
Most likely you're correct. Could also be anyone who has seen the confidential S-1 filing/road show, as delivery ramp up details are very likely to be included in those materials.
Sponsored