Sponsored

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
I don’t think it is really that.

Probably more the long game, they found out that delivering to areas with no SC support is not sustainable. They are probably getting close to exhausting some of the quad motor backlog at some service centers so need to bring this new motor to market with the higher margins in those areas and maybe mix them in to the other areas to increase ASP and help offset cash burn.

If I was a preorder holder still waiting I’d be disappointed but as a stock holder and a vehicle owner this is very positive news.
When you mentioned exhausting quad motor backlog at some SC, I imagine you are talking about R1T. There are still plenty of R1S quad reservation holders waiting for their delivery.

Plus, if SC support is the "bottleneck", doesn't it make more sense to expand that to continue whittling down the backlog?

GR
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
When you mentioned exhausting quad motor backlog at some SC, I imagine you are talking about R1T. There are still plenty of R1S quad reservation holders waiting for their delivery.

Plus, if SC support is the "bottleneck", doesn't it make more sense to expand that to continue whittling down the backlog?

GR
I’m sure they are working on expanding the SC infrastructure but that takes time, some of it buildout, some of it location negotiation, some of it red tape with local governments. In the interim they need to keep things rolling.

I think they are probably exhausting orders in smaller regions with SCs for both T and S preorders. Probably not the Pacific Northwest or CA but other areas.

Right now I would like to see them fix the distribution side. They have thousands of vehicles built that need to be delivered. When I was at the factory on 1/26/2023 the lot was full of R1S and R1Ts. I was at the SC in SoCal having a second key fob coded for my R1S yesterday, there were many vehicles on the lot that needed to be delivered. I saw at least 6 R1S vehicles with vins between low 1700 to mid 1900 which based on my build date and VIN were probably built in October/November of 2022. That is just too long to get a vehicle in customer hands once it rolls off the line. That is a ton of cash that should be going towards operations and not sitting on lots or in railroad stations.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I’m sure they are working on expanding the SC infrastructure but that takes time, some of it buildout, some of it location negotiation, some of it red tape with local governments. In the interim they need to keep things rolling.

I think they are probably exhausting orders in smaller regions with SCs for both T and S preorders. Probably not the Pacific Northwest or CA but other areas.

Right now I would like to see them fix the distribution side. They have thousands of vehicles built that need to be delivered. When I was at the factory on 1/26/2023 the lot was full of R1S and R1Ts. I was at the SC in SoCal having a second key fob coded for my R1S yesterday, there were many vehicles on the lot that needed to be delivered. I saw at least 6 R1S vehicles with vins between low 1700 to mid 1900 which based on my build date and VIN were probably built in October/November of 2022. That is just too long to get a vehicle in customer hands once it rolls off the line. That is a ton of cash that should be going towards operations and not sitting on lots or in railroad stations.
Interesting and accurate observation about the inefficiency of their delivery process currently. Building out the SCs does take time, they should have anticipated this and started sooner. I am glad to see the DC area will, again, have a temporary SC and this approach would benefit other areas too while waiting for more permanent centers.

Mike TDM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 Chevy Volt, 11 Camaro 1SS, 02 Chevy 2500HD,
Occupation
Retired

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I don’t think it is really that.

Probably more the long game, they found out that delivering to areas with no SC support is not sustainable. They are probably getting close to exhausting some of the quad motor backlog at some service centers so need to bring this new motor to market with the higher margins in those areas and maybe mix them in to the other areas to increase ASP and help offset cash burn.

If I was a preorder holder still waiting I’d be disappointed but as a stock holder and a vehicle owner this is very positive news.
I agree this is situation. If you look at used R1T market, it is softening pretty strongly. That tells me new price orders must be dwindling and backlog shrinking. I am not even sure how large an annual sales volume market exists for these R1 models at the new price structure. I think it is going to be very important to get this platform down market and get that R2 into production, which is a long way off....way too long in my opinion.

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Could Rivian still have thousands of R1T max pack orders who will go dual motor? Some R1S order holders seems to think R1S dual motor orders will be filled before their older quad order. But until thta happens it obviously hasn't happened.

It's possible that Rivian has months of production for R1T max pack dual motor.

If dual motor is 800V then there are many changes they need to make.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I agree this is situation. If you look at used R1T market, it is softening pretty strongly. That tells me new price orders must be dwindling and backlog shrinking. I am not even sure how large an annual sales volume market exists for these R1 models at the new price structure. I think it is going to be very important to get this platform down market and get that R2 into production, which is a long way off....way too long in my opinion.
There's likely still tens of thousands of people who are price advantaged and either don't actually want the truck or are finding out they can't afford it. The new tax credit rules are going to mean fewer vehicles purchased just to claim the tax credit and resell for a profit. The IRA rules are a little bit more strict about buying just for resale, but I don't know how the IRS would ever plan on enforcing that.

I'm guessing the used 'new' prices are going to start stabilizing soon and we'll see fewer vehicles that are essentially zero miles being resold. Retail new pricing will likely never turn a profit in a flip because of all the old advantaged orders.

Last edited:

AlexF

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, BMW
Occupation
Computer Systems Validation Engineer
Aren’t the in house motors already being used in the electric delivery van?

R1S88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Do we think these Rivian-made dual motors will eventually be offered in a quad system, or have the days of quad motors ended?

Sponsored

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner

saw the same thing at my local SC. mostly R1T's, but a couple of R1S's as well. Seemed like batch builds waiting to find a home.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Aren’t the in house motors already being used in the electric delivery van?
Rivian has EPA certification for the single "enhanced" enduro motor and LFP battery in the EDV but I don't think they've ever shared what percentage of vehicles have or will have those options.

EmPickle

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Honda Odyssey, Miata
Occupation
Geek
Really looking forward to the first reviews of these motors. Curious if they’re quieter than the quads too
Probably. There will be only half the number of them.

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
Do we think these Rivian-made dual motors will eventually be offered in a quad system, or have the days of quad motors ended?
I think they'll keep the Bosch Quad motors around for a while... at least I hope so - I want them to keep tuning it. It's already engineered and tooled, so I would expect them to keep going for a while as a premium option.

The Enduro is physically larger and I assume there's no way to fit 4 of them.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Or the manual cover (stacks?)..... :oops:
Crazy to me that a company can build an entirely new drive unit in house, begin production on 3 new to market vehicles in one year, but fails to deliver a manual tonneau cover, or powered cover that works.
Sponsored