Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
or you know... use the key fob, or app, or touchscreen controls all of which have no height requirement... ;)

I am pretty confident it'll have a max opening setting, if not right this moment, via OTA.
yah, that would make sense...if only 😂
Sponsored

Last edited:

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
This is great info! I’m pleasantly surprised to see the 2nd row folds from buttons in the rear cargo area. Also, with the 3rd row up there appears to be 2 to 3 times the floor space of the LR3/LR4 behind the 3rd row.
With 3rd row up, the cargo space looks to be close to midsize industry leader Telluride, which would be great......

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

With 3rd row up, the cargo space looks to be close to midsize industry leader Telluride, which would be great......
This is only great assuming 2nd and 3rd row legroom is reasonable, which I am doubting.
I love how much space there looks to be in the cargo area but I'd prefer a few inches shifted in to the other rows, otherwise car seats are not going to be fun to fit.

Unfortunately we still have very little information to go by because of whatever embargo they have going on, but anxiously waiting for some real answers!

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
My thought, too. That's a lot of space with the third row up...

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

Interesting that the buttons drop the 2nd row, but you still have to reach the seats to drop the 3rd row. I think it's going to be tough for short people to reach those levers for the 3rd row—but I'm hoping to see one in person at some point!
My land cruiser has the split tail gate and it makes it difficult for me at 5’10” to drop the 3rd row when tailgate is open. If lower tailgate is closed though, my 5’1” mother-in-law can reach a similarly placed release lever. Hopefully the R1S is similar.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I really hope there is enough height behind the 3rd row to store a 20” AT wheel+tire (34” diameter) vertically. Even if the adjustable load floor has to be removed to do it, I think that is how I’d take a full-size spare for off-road adventures. Maybe I could fabricate something which attaches to the car seat tether loops on the back of the third row and then holds the tire in place like in my crude drawing. That’s assuming that the green tire circle I added is 34” or more in diameter in reality. Even if there isn’t quite enough space tight against the seat backs, maybe storing it diagonally front to back would do the trick.
Rivian R1T R1S RJ Shows interior of R1S (Canyon Red) 1653063183984

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
I did some measuring back in Feb 2020 when they brought an R1S to Austin. It was pre-production but I assume the sheet metal is the same or close. The top line was 47 inches and the bottom line 43 inches. We moved to the R1T for the bed width.

1653019645303.jpeg
"One more inch would have been nice" - my wife
48" for plywood.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
If only there were devices that could be used to hold items on to the roof rack. I'm thinking relatively thick webbing with some hooks attached to ratcheting mechanism such that they could secure a load to roof rack such that it wouldn't fly away.

(But, you're 100% correct, it is much easier if you can just toss it in the back and let it hang out the top half of the tailgate. My old SUV had a lift gate with a window that also lifted. Many times I quickly tossed pvc, 2x4's etc in there vs. hassling with the roof rack and ratchet straps.
"One more inch would have been nice" - my wife
48" for plywood.
She even cares about that inch in the right direction. Girt...Width over Length, Rivian! :CWL:

jffkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
I did some measuring back in Feb 2020 when they brought an R1S to Austin. It was pre-production but I assume the sheet metal is the same or close. The top line was 47 inches and the bottom line 43 inches. We moved to the R1T for the bed width.

1653019645303.jpeg
I've had a chat with CS (granted it was about a year ago) and she said the width between the top wheelwells/arm rests was 51" and at the lower part, 45". She said that plywood would have to fit on top of the arm rests but that it was possible. I can see that area getting torn up pretty badly with a lot of sheet goods being placed there, but for a short trip, probably ok.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP

1653019645303.jpeg
They redesigned the entire rear of the R1S after Feb 2020 so I wouldn't make any assumptions about your measurements still being accurate.

Sponsored

MaxMike77

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford expedition, jeep, tesla model three
Occupation
nerd
Could someone post a screen recording of the tweet? I'm on an administrative computer, can't see twitter. Would be much appreciated.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
I want to see a video of him sitting in the third row to better understand the room or lack thereof back there.

BigNerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Model Y SR, 22 Leaf, 22 Chevy Silverado
My XC90 had similar, too. I liked the confing because the hatch isn't as long.
Yep, that's why I like it... but @Swilly does make a point that having that lower extension open may make it more difficult to access the back.

Going to have to make that lower tailgate MultiFlex™ in the next version. :)

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5