Sponsored

RJ Scaringe to Participate in the Wolfe Research Virtual Global Auto 2-24-2022

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

In case you're interested... Being that its within 2 weeks window, there is a quiet period so nothing material can be released but it may be interesting still.

On Thursday, February 24, 2022 at 3:00 pm ET Rivian’s founder, Chairman and CEO RJ Scaringe will participate in a virtual fireside chat with auto analyst Rod Lache at the Wolfe Research Virtual Global Auto, Auto Tech, and Mobility Conference.

A live webcast will be available at https://edge.media-server.com/mmc/p/8kqm5tte.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

RJ Scaringe seems to be very active recently. He just had that Cox Automotive webcast, and now this conference. I wonder if there are more interviews incoming.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Link to full article

"IRVINE, Calif., February 23, 2022--(BUSINESS WIRE)--On Thursday, February 24, 2022 at 3:00 pm ET Rivian’s founder, Chairman and CEO RJ Scaringe will participate in a virtual fireside chat with auto analyst Rod Lache at the Wolfe Research Virtual Global Auto, Auto Tech, and Mobility Conference.

A live webcast will be available at https://edge.media-server.com/mmc/p/8kqm5tte "

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Pretty interesting. Did he say more details about the 2 motor design would be released this year? My audio cut while he was discussing that.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Pretty interesting. Did he say more details about the 2 motor design would be released this year? My audio cut while he was discussing that.
Just that they are developing that platform fully in-house for future projects.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Every time I hear RJ speak, I come away more impressed than before.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Yea... I found this to be a very encouraging call.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
incidentally, I have a recording; doesn't seem that I can post

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I only caught the end. Did they mention anything at the beginning about making a replay available, or did anyone here have the foresight to record it?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
incidentally, I have a recording; doesn't seem that I can post
Ah, that's what I was hoping for! Throw it on YT, or send it to me & I'll do it...

OP
OP

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Thanks to reddit here's summary of the interview...

Here's a summary:
  • New software releases every 2 weeks so far
  • Still paying attention to minor issues and making small tweaks (ex: tailgate parts); this includes the delivery van (had a small fleet going to learn how to improve, adding handles and other things)
  • There are two separate production lines: consumer and delivery vans
  • Challenges with ramping for themselves and with their suppliers (mentioned semiconductors specifically); several components that are very problematic to get at times
    • Asked what else can Rivian do in their control to mitigate the problem and get to desired volumes -- very much dependent on the area of the vehicle and where that area is in the build process (ex: end of line parts vs. internal and beginning of line parts)... semiconductors are a big problem because those are deeply internal parts. But has offered help to their suppliers to get parts (ex: bring team members to help their assembly lines) >> really want to build strong relationships with their suppliers
    • "My day starts and ends with getting the parts we need" (paraphrasing)
  • Shut down the plant in January to make a number of changes to the line
  • For a few weeks, there was over 800 plant workers out with Omicron
  • "Georgia is for our future vehicles" (this has been said before, just reiterating for people who may not know)
  • Highlighted the importance of certain pieces being done in-house vs. third party (Examples -- in-house: software, electronics, platform; third party: tires, plastics)
  • Working on their own battery cells; working with vendors to invest and build out dedicated capacity; building out more relationships with more vendors (announcements coming soon)
  • 2-motor R1’s coming out in the future
  • Real buildout of their product line coming “soon”
  • Trying to sync battery roadmaps for chemistry, materials, technology. Built a team around all aspects battery (supply chain, mining, pricing, etc)
  • "Really deeply believe it's necessary to have a direct relationship with customers to control price and the experience"
  • "We want to design services in a very different way" ... service done at your house, or business, and be much more intentional about that service while utilizing the vehicle's data
  • Focus on efficiency in all aspects (shop locations, services being done, etc) and consistency
  • Rivian membership will provide recurring revenue opportunities and a differentiated experience
  • Fleet management services another recurring revenue opportunity; make the platform stronger and utilize telemetry to help fleets be more efficient
  • How big do you think Rivian could become? >> "We want to add a whole bunch of different form factors across different markets and different price points... so with that and our brand, one of the core skills we view necessary is the ability to simultaneously launch different programs."
    • Reiterated Georgia for future, and smaller, products
    • Mentioned future products in the commercial space
Sponsored