wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Nope. Noooope. That would creep me the hell out.

Editorial side note: They figured out how to shove a kitchen into a tube behind a truck cab, but their best tire carrying solution on an SUV is to tie it down to a roof rack with a tow strap? Seems like a missed opportunity for an accessory at a minimum.

Sponsored

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
So cool, I like hearing the different wheels getting traction

R1Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Nope. Noooope. That would creep me the hell out.

Editorial side note: They figured out how to shove a kitchen into a tube behind a truck cab, but their best tire carrying solution on an SUV is to tie it down to a roof rack with a tow strap? Seems like a missed opportunity for an accessory at a minimum.
What are the advantages of the split-gate? I’m wondering if they should have went with a lift-gate once they ditched the 180 degree folding tailgate that way you could have the spare tire mounted on the rear.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
What are the advantages of the split-gate? I’m wondering if they should have went with a lift-gate once they ditched the 180 degree folding tailgate that way you could have the spare tire mounted on the rear.
access through the hatch without opening it all the way. I like a split hatch personally (actually I like the roll down window in the 4Runner). If I recall correctly, my old Jimmy has a split hatch, but also had a swing out arm for the spare.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I want more info on the roof rack? I have an R1T order, so I am not up to date on the R1S Accessories.

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

I use my like a table when camping. It usually has the stove/water jug/food prep station.

When not camping, it's nice to sit on the tailgate or use it as a step to get to the roof (you can have the tailgate down while the liftgate is closed).

Sponsored

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

I want more info on the roof rack? I have an R1T order, so I am not up to date on the R1S Accessories.
I think it's just a Rhino Rack connected to the standard Rivian rack (for bot R1T and R1S). I have a R1S order and it doesn't have any options unavailable to R1T.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Sick video!!! Looks like they've made lots of progress on the traction control software since the very first Arizona ("To The Max") off-roading video released over a year ago now.

I see the R1S outfitted with the rock rails. I hope those are included in the "Off-Road Upgrade" in the configurator. Though, the renders there don't show it yet. The FAQ does say this, which might imply it is included, but I guess we wait to see:
Rivian R1T R1S RJ Scaringe posts video: Steep Climb @ Moab by R1S 1627067268322

Also in the video at the end is that R1T with the yellow tow hooks attached at the rear:
Rivian R1T R1S RJ Scaringe posts video: Steep Climb @ Moab by R1S 1627067342301

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I use my like a table when camping. It usually has the stove/water jug/food prep station.

When not camping, it's nice to sit on the tailgate or use it as a step to get to the roof (you can have the tailgate down while the liftgate is closed).
The R1S design looks like you'll have to open the liftgate first, but maybe you can open both then close the liftgate without closing the tailgate?

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

The R1S design looks like you'll have to open the liftgate first, but maybe you can open both then close the liftgate without closing the tailgate?
That's how my Honda Element works. You have to open the top first before opening the bottom, but then you can close the top. Makes a good backrest, too :).
Sponsored