Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Great news. I just reached out to Rivian and apparently the camp kitchen team will turn to app development in a few weeks, right after they complete the color selections for the camp kitchen recipe book. Exciting!
I might have lost track of things, but are they doing this before or after they fix the plumbing?
Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
A month after its release, Tesla has now suspended deliveries of the new Model S nationwide . . . without giving any specifics, as usual, other than to say it is to enable the implementation of new inspection procedures. Cars that were already in delivery centers and scheduled for customer pick up are being held up as well as at the factory.

It seems my quest to replace my old Tesla quickly now that it is out of extended warranty with either a Lucid, a Rivian, or another Tesla is now a hopeless undertaking. Oh, well, at least every EV brand seems to be struggling with some production problem or another these days.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
A month after its release, Tesla has now suspended deliveries of the new Model S nationwide . . . without giving any specifics, as usual, other than to say it is to enable the implementation of new inspection procedures. Cars that were already in delivery centers and scheduled for customer pick up are being held up as well as at the factory.

It seems my quest to replace my old Tesla quickly now that it is out of extended warranty with either a Lucid, a Rivian, or another Tesla is now a hopeless undertaking. Oh, well, at least every EV brand seems to be struggling with some production problem or another these days.
Considering the generally poor quality control issues they've let slide with other models, it must be REALLY bad for them to fully stop deliveries. Either too many problems on most vehicles or there's some specific major problem.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Considering the generally poor quality control issues they've let slide with other models, it must be REALLY bad for them to fully stop deliveries. Either too many problems on most vehicles or there's some specific major problem.
True that. As Tesla has shut down its PR department and does not take any questions it finds inconvenient, speculation is rife, including concern that it might have something to do with a Model S Plaid that burst into flames during a drive recently. The doors failed to release, and the driver had to break out of the car by some unspecified means. Moments later the car was engulfed in fire.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It seems my quest to replace my old Tesla quickly now that it is out of extended warranty with either a Lucid, a Rivian, or another Tesla is now a hopeless undertaking.
Sorry to hear. It seems you really "can't get no satisfaction"....

Pathfinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Defender X-Dynamic
Could you explain why? I live in WI and have not experienced an EV yet.
It didn't have anything to do with the fact it was an EV. In fact I bought the Model3 to see how an EV would work for trips, etc. The Model3 certainly did its job in proving that an EV is what I prefer and charging isn't really an issue (granted the Supercharger network helped with that but overall I never had an issue finding a place to charge when needed).

The issue was that a sedan simply doesn't have the ground clearance to go where I want/like to go and in the winter I had to choose between putting my snowboard on top and hurting range or leaving part of the back seat down all the time which was loud and made it hard to keep the cabin warm at times. Also more than once I would pick a hiking trail and as I got near the trailhead realize I wasn't going to get there in the Model3 due to washed out roads, ruts, mud, etc. Again, nothing particular to Tesla, as I've told others I would never buy a 3 series, A4, etc. and expect it to meet my needs. I bought the Tesla as a short term car, it just ended up being longer term than I planned.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I mean there aren't really any other 7 seater options that will be available for electric in the next 2-3 years? Right? It seems the R1S is the only option for some time that has a reasonable space for occupants.
I feel the frustration, but I am still very excited for when I can drive out there and test drive an R1S to determine if it will satisfy our families needs!
Currently in production there is the Model X and Y which have 7 seats, though some would argue the 7 3rd is a joke. There are others slated to come out within the next year or so: VW, Mercedes, Lucid, and there's some in China (if any of those manufacturers can be sold in the US). Some of these might end up beating R1S to delivery.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Does the fact they spent so many resources on the silly camp kitchen bother anyone else? Especially with this "news"? Like utilize those resources better ffs. Spending countless hours and energy and money on producing an completely unnecessary bi-product when they can't even deliver the main product is laughable.
We know more about the damn camp kitchen than the car itself! The best and most detailed Rivian has EVER released was about the camp kitchen!

The camp kitchen could have easily been an after-market product or even delayed altogether.
Focus on delivering the main product first. Not only is the camp kitchen not an important component of the vehicle, but it is an optional add on and doens't impact but a select few customers. Again, it is an ADD ON. Rivian could easily ship these out after the actual vehicle is complete and delivered.
I had all of these frustrations originally when I saw the camp kitchen video and how Rivian was highlighting it...but now after this latest email, I am livid. Build and deliver the vehicle first. Then you can focus on string lights for an over priced coffee grinder second.
For the most part I agree with you. Another example of their PM/marketing immaturity is from one of their recent stories where they highlight the interior but no mention of infotainment or instrument cluster, safety features and all kinds of other things they could have shared about. They do however tout the flashlight and portable speaker.... huh? I'm not spending $70-90K because it has a built in flashlight and speaker.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

You can fire Rivian, just click the cancel button, problem solved.

I am just really surprised at how worked up everyone is getting over these delays. There are so many real issues in the world these days that delays on getting a vehicle seems so low on the list of things to get worked up over.
I agree folks should relax about the delays, but I think some are not so much disappointed by that as much as around the lack of communication and information. They of course have no obligation to share anything as its a private company but I do think the grassroots goodwill they have built up is slowly getting eroded. Guess its a symptom of the learning and growing pains of a first-time CEO.

Sponsored

Driveout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Rivian R1T R1S RJ Scaringe: first Rivian R1T deliveries delayed from July 2021 until September 1627526781885

There’s a new vehicle delivering smiles to customers, and it’s electric.
Amazon customer deliveries will look a little different in parts of Los Angeles. Just one year after announcing the purchase of 100,000 custom electric delivery vehicles as part of The Climate Pledge, Amazon has begun testing the new vans on delivery routes.

It seems a $700,000,000 investor has priority delivery for commercial use over the private single buyer. If another local contracting company saw these and did their due diligence they would see their operating costs drop and out price the competition or reap additional profit. There is a strong case for thinking of Rivian as a commercial transport producer with a side business of providing green adventure vehicles for the smaller market which they may ultimately be late to anyway. From a financial perspective it makes sense as the vans probably don't need to pamper their owners, just be inexpensive to operate and reliable. The shortage may be in the allocation of resources at hand. I believe Rivian committed to 10,000 vans by the end of 2022.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Currently in production there is the Model X and Y which have 7 seats, though some would argue the 7 3rd is a joke. There are others slated to come out within the next year or so: VW, Mercedes, Lucid, and there's some in China (if any of those manufacturers can be sold in the US). Some of these might end up beating R1S to delivery.
I did think about getting the 7-seat MY, but I don't want play the "fit & finish" lottery. The MX is out of my budget and, IMHO, not worth price.

GR

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE