Sponsored

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
I'm not upset about the delay in the slightest. There are good reasons for that. What there isn't a good reason for is the lack of communication over the past couple of months.

I called CS today and complained for a while. I didn't do it to vent my frustrations at someone, I just wanted to let them know what I wanted going forward since RJ said that they need to do better but didn't say how they are going to do better. I personally lost a lot of faith in Rivian over the last month or so. If I'm going to keep my pre-order then they need to do much better between now and September about sharing information.

I specifically told the CS rep that it has gotten to the point that customers can't trust dates or information that comes from the CS department. This came up when I mentioned that one of the things I wanted information about was the Tank Turn feature because we haven't seen it officially mentioned in over a year. When I said this, he said something along the lines of "I can assure you that it is still a planned feature." I basically responded to that with "How am I supposed to believe that when yesterday you were probably assuring people that deliveries will start in two weeks?"

I really hope things change in the CS department soon. It's pretty clear at this point that they have to stick to a strict script of just repeating the information that has been made public. I'm sure that it's for quality control reasons (you don't want to have CS reps contradicting each other or breaking news and giving out brand new info) but you can't have a Customer Service department operate well unless they can actually provide the service that the customers want. Right now (for me at least) that service is details and information. I think, for the most part at least, most pre-order holders are understanding of the challenges that come along with launching a brand. We can handle an answer like "We are still finalizing XYZ on that widget/thing you asked about and once that is done we'll let you know ASAP." Maybe this burden shouldn't be on the CS department at all but with the sparsity of info coming out that's who it's fallen on.

Overall, my conversation was still a positive one. I told him that I'm in no way upset with the CS reps and that I feel for them. I know they want to give us the info we ask for and I'm sure that they are tired of saying "soon", "around the corner", and "keep an eye on your inbox". He was appreciative for the understanding and said that it helps for customers to let them know what information they want and expect so that the CS team can push for those things to be released.
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I tried blocking a troll but kept seeing the posts until I figured out that I need to sign on in the morning to stop seeing the name. I have my browser set to delete all cookies and the history every time I close it so I leave it open during the day.
Conversely, if someone has blocked you, or you suspect you've been blocked or ignored, you can simply log in using a new tab without signing in. That public view will allow you to see the entire thread. It caught my attention when I saw that post numbers (shown in the upper right corner of each post) were missing from the sequence within a given thread.

"Captian Obvious, out!"

Rivian R1T R1S RJ Scaringe: first Rivian R1T deliveries delayed from July 2021 until September 5gqvj9-1

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I am an early 2020 reservation holder, so I do not see this affecting me much, BUT I completely understand those who are upset. I got a 2 year lease on a vehicle few months ago, so that buys me time before I get upset :)

However, a very little silly side of me is annoyed because there won't be any Rivians on the road. Which means I still have to explain to people what is an R1S every time I tell them I have an EV reserved. ( I just have an image on my phone now :like: )

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

I have officially reached peak doom loop. I had a dream last night that I snuck in to the Normal plant and when I sat in the cab of the R1T it was too small so I canceled my reservation :CWL:.

Given how little new information has been forthcoming over the last two months, I think I need a break from my own negativity.

I'll check back in when we actually get a meaningful email update.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Supply chain is the current #1 excuse from food to construction to cars. Quite frankly I don’t believe it. That said, I’m all about them ensuring QC. Would happily wait an extra 6months if reliability improves by 10%, I just wish they would say that.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Hah yea it is that person. I'm just trying to see if there is any common ground or not - guess we will find out based on their response.

His reaction to this post got me to finally hit that button of joy.

I love a contrary position, its one of the most productive ways I learn. That dude is just an unhappy troll.

No longer will I have to endure...

Rivian R1T R1S RJ Scaringe: first Rivian R1T deliveries delayed from July 2021 until September freedom

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Well, the camel's back finally broke. We have been waiting through repeated delays for both our Lucid Air Dream Edition and our Rivian R1S.

The extended warranty runs out tomorrow on our 2015 Tesla Model S, and we were at the Tesla service center yesterday to pick the car up from its last round of warranty repairs (tire pressure monitoring system and charger error codes). A couple was taking delivery on a beautiful white Model S Long Range (with the updated interior and exterior and the same power as the outgoing Performance version). We ordered the exact same car on the spot.

Our plan had been to trade the Tesla on whichever car came first from Lucid or Rivian and just buy the other vehicle straight out. As I'm more willing to wait to get the Lucid than the Rivian at this point, our two new EVs will now be the Lucid and Tesla, and we'll keep the Honda minivan for at least the next product cycle.

I had wanted the Rivian with the 180-kWh battery pack, anyway. When the Launch Edition was announced without it, I had decided to take the mid-size pack in order to get the R1S sooner. At this point, I'll wait until I can actually test drive a Rivian and then -- when the long-range version eventually arrives -- I'll make the decision whether to trade the Honda for the Rivian and make the final transition to an all-EV household.

There's no acrimony in any of this. I accept Rivian's reasons for delay and understand them. But I'm just exhausted from what is nearing a 3-year wait for both the Lucid and the Rivian and need to move on.
I hope you like your Tesla. I too have had enough. I visited Ford yesterday and ordered a Raptor.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I'm fine with the delays, I'm late to the party and didn't expect a R1T till next year anyways, but, there is something concerning to me about the timing. We knew about the virus and semi issues months ago, the whole world knew. The delay due to the virus, and semi shortages should have been announced months ago, not weeks after telling us deliveries would start in July. This delay announcement comes at a time when we know they are testing battery range. Makes me wonder.
There is something wrong. We just don’t know what the probed really is.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Yes i agree. They knew a long time ago. I suspect way longer delays coming too. They just haven’t told us yet.

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Unfortunately the supply chain problems are real and their persistence have surprised many industries, not just autos. I'm willing to keep my reservation, even though my order number is in the 5,000s and will likely have to watch people in Seattle having fun with their Rivians long before mine shows up (assuming production begins at some point).
I understand those who are frustrated and moving on. It's still a competitive industry and becomes more competitive every quarter. At least for now there's still choice...

One thing I had been wondering is if Rivian has concerns over the implementation of the 4680 battery with its promise of reduced cost and longer range. That concern may have diminished now that Tesla cancelled the Plaid+ and is delaying the batteries introduction...
The batteries are the key to the whole thing. Tesla is the leader… and they still haven’t figured it out. All will be delayed.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
This might be the push I needed to trade in my Tesla Model 3 for a ICE mid size truck. Been looking at few but reluctant to go back to gas, especially seeing the price of gas lately. Since my old wagon died earlier this year, I need a truck/suv soon. I’ll still keep my R1T reservation (not an early one anyway) and see where things are when the time finally comes. The hard part now is where to find a truck that is not over priced and actually on a dealer lot this summer.
Bingo.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I hope you like your Tesla. I too have had enough. I visited Ford yesterday and ordered a Raptor.
I was hit with another surprise when we ordered the Tesla. I knew used car prices were spiking, but I didn't understand by how much. (A friend recently bought his Nissan Kicks off lease for $13,200 and sold it two weeks later to Carvana for $19,400.)

About eight months ago we were considering a Tesla Model X and got a trade-in quote from Tesla for our 2015 Model S P90D. The trade-in offer was for just under $33,000. Yesterday I confirmed acceptance of Tesla's trade-in offer for the same car at $41,900 . . . eight months older with almost 10,000 more miles on it.

I don't know how long this over-heated used car market will sustain, but now seems to be a great time to trade and is part of what locked in our decision to trade now instead of waiting to see when Lucid and Rivian finally get cars on the road.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Why don't you channel your passion and obsession with how companies are run and develop a series of ratings for CEOs in the tech and/or auto industries? I'm sure you'll do a stellar job at being objective.
Sponsored