Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Not really, let me sum it up for you.....

Some of the responses...
giphy.gif

The rest of them....
okay-i-see.gif
And a further few ...
Sponsored

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
I will probably catch tons of flak for this, but I am not really pi$$ed about this. I suspect (not know) that this was probably due to someone (or some people) missing THEIR deliveries TO Rivian. They are not the first domino in the line. They are somewhere towards the end of the line of dominos.
So all it takes is a few - or even one critical - part(s) being delayed and so are their deliveries. You try to design using no single sourced parts, but that's not always possible, and is probably nearly impossible with something as complex as the R1T and R1S.

I suspect that they were negotiating with some suppliers on critical parts and hoping that they would get some allocation in time to meet July deliveries, but knowing that it is likely that at least one of those deliveries wouldn't make it in time. That would explain why everyone was getting estimated delivery times of Oct/Nov when they were officially saying July. The writing was on the wall.

I remember one time that a manufacturer or plastics had a fire at their plant and the ENTIRE memory market was down for nearly a full year. EVERY bit of RAM and FLASH as well as most other semiconductors as well. It had nothing to do with the manufacturers of the memory or other semis, it was that the plastic they used to encapsulate the chips wasn't available. Worldwide. And that was one fire (albeit a big one) at one plant in one country.

Yes, I would have LOVED that RJ's email was an announcement of the first official deliveries instead of a 2 month slip. But I am not surprised and not angry. Not even very disappointed - I kind of feel sorry for them. I expect a number of people here have had houses built or at least had major remodels done. Have any of them ever been on schedule? Most people probably had at least one supplier slip a delivery and thus, their schedule. Now imagine if that was designing and building both a new plant and 3 new vehicles.

Hopefully they really HAVE learned that they need to communicate better and it's not just a simple platitude. I really want to see some updates with some meat over the next few months until that ever elusive email from RJ comes out saying that they have actually delivered the first R1T. But until then, I will keep watching the inbox hoping for some meager scraps of information and hope the silence is due to them busting their butts trying to get to production. Having been in their very uncomfortable shoes for most of my professional life, I feel it's the best thing I can do to support them.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Look dude, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you, just like everyone else on this forum and every single Rivian employee, actually wants the company to succeed and start delivering vehicles. Can we agree on that much at least? Because calling the founder a clown and accusing them of withholding information does nothing to change that intent, so it makes me wonder why you say sh*t like this. What's the point? Do you actually think Rivian needs to change leadership? If so, let's talk about it. If you're saying it just for the f*ck of it, then you cannot expect anything positive coming out of that.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Look dude, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you, just like everyone else on this forum and every single Rivian employee, actually wants the company to succeed and start delivering vehicles. Can we agree on that much at least? Because calling the founder a clown and accusing them of withholding information does nothing to change that intent, so it makes me wonder why you say sh*t like this. What's the point? Do you actually think Rivian needs to change leadership? If so, let's talk about it. If you're saying it just for the f*ck of it, then you cannot expect anything positive coming out of that.
I can guess who you are referring to as I only have one person blocked. You are wasting your time, simply a troll adding zero value to the forum. If you stop feeding him he may look take his toys and go elsewhere.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I can guess who you are referring to as I only have one person blocked. You are wasting your time, simply a troll adding zero value to the forum. If you stop feeding him he may look take his toys and go elsewhere.
Hah yea it is that person. I'm just trying to see if there is any common ground or not - guess we will find out based on their response.

Sponsored

Mark K

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Volt
Occupation
Retired
I tried blocking a troll but kept seeing the posts until I figured out that I need to sign on in the morning to stop seeing the name. I have my browser set to delete all cookies and the history every time I close it so I leave it open during the day.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Disappointed? Yep, but I'd rather wait several months to get a finished product than get a beta version sooner.

Take the time and do it right.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Hey, as long as they start providing regular updates I’m fine waiting. I wasn’t at first but I’m going to stick it out because I love this truck. That’s all I really want, just more information and updates. This is a good first step, yes it sucks that it’s delayed again, but at least he acknowledged the communication issues which it goes a long way with me. That’s my two cents

Last edited:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Wow this forum is ready to fire almost all the Rivian employees. I'd be fired many times already according to the rules here.
I’m not saying they should be. Just saying that given Rivian’s obvious culture to protect information, this will likely not be viewed very favorably by the leadership there. Pure speculation on my part though.

Mark K

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Volt
Occupation
Retired
Hey, as long as they start providing regular updates I’m fine waiting. I wasn’t at first but I’m going to stick it out because I love this truck. That’s all I really want, just more information and updates. This is a good first step, yes it sucks that it’s delayed again, but at least he acknowledged the communication issues which it goes a long way with me. That’s my two cents
I agree that the truck is worth waiting for. I currently own my 10 year old Volt which has about 18000 miles on the odometer. Currently I spend about $60 per year on electricity. I'm installing solar panels so that expense should be taken care of by the sun soon.
Because my car is a hybrid I also spend about $20 per year on gasoline. I can wait a long time until the Rivian R1T LE that I have configured is offered to me. The only thing I need to know is which year to cash in my IRA so that I can pay enough taxes to take advantage of the IRS tax deduction.

Sponsored

atR1S

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Clubs

Not too surprised with the delay, but having to wait for something I am really excited about is probably a good practice in this day of instant gratification. I’ll keep enjoying my wrangler and hopefully some time in 2022 will get the R1S that I KNOW is just gonna be so fun to drive and own.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I will probably catch tons of flak for this, but I am not really pi$$ed about this. I suspect (not know) that this was probably due to someone (or some people) missing THEIR deliveries TO Rivian. They are not the first domino in the line. They are somewhere towards the end of the line of dominos.
So all it takes is a few - or even one critical - part(s) being delayed and so are their deliveries. You try to design using no single sourced parts, but that's not always possible, and is probably nearly impossible with something as complex as the R1T and R1S.

I suspect that they were negotiating with some suppliers on critical parts and hoping that they would get some allocation in time to meet July deliveries, but knowing that it is likely that at least one of those deliveries wouldn't make it in time. That would explain why everyone was getting estimated delivery times of Oct/Nov when they were officially saying July. The writing was on the wall.

I remember one time that a manufacturer or plastics had a fire at their plant and the ENTIRE memory market was down for nearly a full year. EVERY bit of RAM and FLASH as well as most other semiconductors as well. It had nothing to do with the manufacturers of the memory or other semis, it was that the plastic they used to encapsulate the chips wasn't available. Worldwide. And that was one fire (albeit a big one) at one plant in one country.

Yes, I would have LOVED that RJ's email was an announcement of the first official deliveries instead of a 2 month slip. But I am not surprised and not angry. Not even very disappointed - I kind of feel sorry for them. I expect a number of people here have had houses built or at least had major remodels done. Have any of them ever been on schedule? Most people probably had at least one supplier slip a delivery and thus, their schedule. Now imagine if that was designing and building both a new plant and 3 new vehicles.

Hopefully they really HAVE learned that they need to communicate better and it's not just a simple platitude. I really want to see some updates with some meat over the next few months until that ever elusive email from RJ comes out saying that they have actually delivered the first R1T. But until then, I will keep watching the inbox hoping for some meager scraps of information and hope the silence is due to them busting their butts trying to get to production. Having been in their very uncomfortable shoes for most of my professional life, I feel it's the best thing I can do to support them.
I think this is spot on. It’s the reality of the situation. I have a car. I will survive.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Why did covid make it so Rivian can't paint a truck Launch Green? Are there shortages f

Ya, $8.2 billion doesn't go as far as it used too ;)
I know you are making a joke about COVID and the green color...... BUT - I was told by a outdoor furniture manufacturer (Grosfillex) that they cannot produce a particular color of their tables and chairs due to a severe shortage of brown pigment for plastics. So yeah, there actually could be a Launch Green pigment shortage.
Sponsored