First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Having been “in” this since December of 2018, I can’t say this impacts me that greatly. It’s a small delay, and my guide told me that I wasn’t getting the truck till November at the latest anyways.

It’s good to see that RJ is actually admitting that they need to do better at communicating with their customers. I think about 99% of the complaints I see on here would be null-and-void if Rivian simply did better on the PR front.

Delays suck, yeah, but I certainly can’t even begin to understand the challenges of starting up a new company, building an entire charging infrastructure, and bringing three different vehicles to market in the midst of a pandemic and a global chip shortage.
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I'm not giving them a blind pass. I flat out said I'm disappointed and I think it's reasonable to take issue with elements of their communication (even if I think a lot of that is overblown). But I draw the line at personal attacks on the team or accusing them of deception or malice. There's a nice thick sharpie line between being a critic and being an asshole.

Yes, they clearly leaned too hard in to rosy projections and it cost them credibility, and probably some sales. At the same time, this shit is hard and they're doing it at about the hardest time possible, and it's not like there's some prior art of competent companies just fuckin' nailing the particular challenge. A little bit of empathy goes a long way.

I won't criticize anyone who cancels their order because they've lost faith or the timing doesn't meet your needs. That's all well and fair. But there's no point being a dick about it.

Adamtbest

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Impala
Occupation
IT
Figured I’d go ahead and update my delivery tracker:

• Sometime in 2020 -> Really meant December 2020
  • December 2020 -> Really meant June 2021
  • June 2021 -> Really meant July 2021
  • July 2021 -> Really meant September 2021
  • Sept 2021-> Really means ??????
As a Cybertruck pre order holder. I feel your pain.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
This might be the push I needed to trade in my Tesla Model 3 for a ICE mid size truck. Been looking at few but reluctant to go back to gas, especially seeing the price of gas lately. Since my old wagon died earlier this year, I need a truck/suv soon. I’ll still keep my R1T reservation (not an early one anyway) and see where things are when the time finally comes. The hard part now is where to find a truck that is not over priced and actually on a dealer lot this summer.
Maverick? Or Hybrid F-150?

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
Well, the camel's back finally broke. We have been waiting through repeated delays for both our Lucid Air Dream Edition and our Rivian R1S.

The extended warranty runs out tomorrow on our 2015 Tesla Model S, and we were at the Tesla service center yesterday to pick the car up from its last round of warranty repairs (tire pressure monitoring system and charger error codes). A couple was taking delivery on a beautiful white Model S Long Range (with the updated interior and exterior and the same power as the outgoing Performance version). We ordered the exact same car on the spot.

Our plan had been to trade the Tesla on whichever car came first from Lucid or Rivian and just buy the other vehicle straight out. As I'm more willing to wait to get the Lucid than the Rivian at this point, our two new EVs will now be the Lucid and Tesla, and we'll keep the Honda minivan for at least the next product cycle.

I had wanted the Rivian with the 180-kWh battery pack, anyway. When the Launch Edition was announced without it, I had decided to take the mid-size pack in order to get the R1S sooner. At this point, I'll wait until I can actually test drive a Rivian and then -- when the long-range version eventually arrives -- I'll make the decision whether to trade the Honda for the Rivian and make the final transition to an all-EV household.

There's no acrimony in any of this. I accept Rivian's reasons for delay and understand them. But I'm just exhausted from what is nearing a 3-year wait for both the Lucid and the Rivian and need to move on.

*Nods in Model 3 pre order holder*

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Purely hypothetical but I suspect that if Rivian had set expectations of December 2021 delivery and then surprised everyone by delivering early in June 2021, there would still be people complaining for one reason or another.

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
With 7000 employees, they must be burning cash like hell. Sooner or later Rivian will face the reality if they don't start delivering. Hopefully market is stable enough until their IPO plans and they can raise enough cash to survive for few years.

Glad RJ acknowledged about communication issue and hope he takes the next step and fixes the issue. They should look at Lucid and get some inspiration, Lucid did push their delivery window so many times but information is constantly flowing and they have shared ton of details.

I still don't have confidence that I will receive my LE-R1S this year, shocking to see Rivian still hasn't communicated clearly about the range, UI, interior, colors for R1S.

I hate to jump the Tesla bandwagon. I'm still thinking about taking the delivery of R1S or Ioniq 5, whichever comes first.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Why did covid make it so Rivian can't paint a truck Launch Green? Are there shortages f
With 7000 employees, they must be burning cash like hell. Sooner or later Rivian will face the reality if they don't start delivering. Hopefully market is stable enough until their IPO plans and they can raise enough cash to survive for few years.

Glad RJ acknowledged about communication issue and hope he takes the next step and fixes the issue.

I still don't have confidence that I will receive my LE-R1S this year, shocking to see Rivian still hasn't communicated clearly about the range, UI, interior, colors for R1S.

I hate to jump the Tesla bandwagon. I'm still thinking about taking the delivery of R1S or Ioniq 5, whichever comes first.
Ya, $8.2 billion doesn't go as far as it used too ;)

Ty012

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi
Maverick? Or Hybrid F-150?
A hybrid option would be nice however I was thinking something in between the maverick and the F150. I’ve been looking at Colorado, Ranger or Canyon. New Frontier looks interesting but don’t know what rear legroom is which is why I ruled out the Tacoma.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Can you imagine Tesla Roaster reservation holders? $50k reservations started in 2017.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
As a Hummer reservation holder I am feeling pretty good. Especially when there are recent photos of Hummers moving down the line at Factory Zero.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
As a Hummer reservation holder I am feeling pretty good. Especially when there are recent photos of Hummers moving down the line at Factory Zero.
jinx