Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. I get that's he's going through production woes and I do agree with regarding the timing of their announcements is lousy. But stating he's a clown? Yeah, ya kinda far-fetched there. Rivian's biggest issue at the moment is timing of their communications. I'm grateful in part that's currently it (despite how frustrating that one issue is).
Sponsored

SEARivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - El Cap Granite, 20"AT Black
I will still wait for my R1T, but as one of the very early deposit holders, I still feel a bit stung by the fact that anyone who wanted launch edition could skip the line. I'm waiting for the 180kwh battery so opted to not go with launch edition. Everyone's delivery timeline is being pushed back but makes it a bit more painful when you're waiting for the largest battery and your early deposit didn't mean much in way of delivery timing except against other large battery orders.

I really wish this communication gave an update on how the largest battery production process is going. Is it still going to be roughly 6 months after first deliveries? Is there a chance that window could shrink? Everything we seem to read is that the windows keep growing so I'm going to assume that the large battery now will likely come more than 6 months after first deliveries which means probably nothing delivered until next summer instead of original timeline of January....

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
I haven't been in this as long as some of you have, so my perspective may be more optimistic.

Every company is experiencing the same issue, particularly Ford, Jeep, RAM, etc. The delay mentioned by the letter is far less than other companies.

Additionally, this is a brand new vehicle from the ground up, unlike other platforms; such as Ford's Lightening or even Bronco, RAM 1500, Jeep Wrangler, etc. This launch is so critical for Rivian, the vehicles have to be right, every detail should be scrutinized and triple checked. They don't have the luxury that Tesla had during their initial launch. So, I am glad they will do a few more tests and verifications, while supply-chain is catching up.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Unfortunately the supply chain problems are real and their persistence have surprised many industries, not just autos. I'm willing to keep my reservation, even though my order number is in the 5,000s and will likely have to watch people in Seattle having fun with their Rivians long before mine shows up (assuming production begins at some point).
I understand those who are frustrated and moving on. It's still a competitive industry and becomes more competitive every quarter. At least for now there's still choice...

One thing I had been wondering is if Rivian has concerns over the implementation of the 4680 battery with its promise of reduced cost and longer range. That concern may have diminished now that Tesla cancelled the Plaid+ and is delaying the batteries introduction...

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
You must be really fun at parties.

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt on this forum. We are all here because we want an Electric Truck. Many are a little frustrated with how things are going right now, but do you ever do or say anything positive?

Sometimes I think you are just Elon pretending to be someone else so you can troll and post shit.

Sponsored

MurryR1T

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T delivered 3-24-22
You must be really fun at parties.

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt on this forum. We are all here because we want an Electric Truck. Many are a little frustrated with how things are going right now, but do you ever do or say anything positive?

Sometimes I think you are just Elon pretending to be someone else so you can troll and post shit.
If you are speaking of our local troll (I can't see his/her replies) hitting the ignore button does wonders. I believe they are here just to stir up *ish. Just my opinion.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
seeing what all has been happening in other manufacturing sectors, I sympathize with them. I wish they'd drop the reservation price to $100 now. I'd happily throw that in to get in line for 2022 delivery but $1k isn't something I'm willing to let sit hoping for the best.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Nah. Elon isn't a dick to other competition (at least publicly) and genuinely seems to want to increase EV adoption.

(feel transparency, I only know that you're replying to our neighborhood troll. So I'm only able to guess as to what he said)

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
Any clown can lead a multi-billion dollar start up. Only job requirement is big shoes ...

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
Finally a bit of info. I find in my life, if you communicate with me and keep me in the loop I am more motivated to go on the journey with you. Hopefully the people at Rivian will or have a better understanding of this simple concept. They have ambitious goals and plans. With time, I"m sure they will get there. As launch edition customers we will experience the fruits of their journey as well as more problems. That's part of the deal for being early adopters. Hopefully they will continue to encourage patience and good will by being upfront and keeping us in the loop.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I join my fellow posters in being aghast that Rivian, unlike the many other successful new car manufacturers, could not deliver completely new, fully custom vehicles on time on the first try. A global pandemic that has totally shattered the predictability of supply chains is no excuse.

Furthermore, I assume RJ is maliciously lying about the reasons for the delay until he personally walks me through $my_pet_feature in exactly the format I'm imagining, otherwise it's definitely the real reason for the delay.

Also, a conspiracy theory about EPA numbers.

Did I miss anything?

Sarcasm aside, this is a bummer. I'd hoped the one-month delay reflected a slightly higher degree of certainty. But I'm optimistic about the stated focus on quality and completeness - I'd rather take delivery in September (or even January) than get shoddy initial quality.

I do hope we get details in the not-too-distant future on how this cascades to other models. I'm likely to skip LE in favor of the 400-mile pack unless that has slipped into next summer - I assume it will slip somewhat, but it's hard to say.

Anyway. We can all be disappointed without declaring RJ the antichrist for not pulling a magic trick that to date no auto company in the modern era has pulled off on his first at-bat.

Ty012

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi
This might be the push I needed to trade in my Tesla Model 3 for a ICE mid size truck. Been looking at few but reluctant to go back to gas, especially seeing the price of gas lately. Since my old wagon died earlier this year, I need a truck/suv soon. I’ll still keep my R1T reservation (not an early one anyway) and see where things are when the time finally comes. The hard part now is where to find a truck that is not over priced and actually on a dealer lot this summer.

Pathfinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Defender X-Dynamic
This might be the push I needed to trade in my Tesla Model 3 for a ICE mid size truck. Been looking at few but reluctant to go back to gas, especially seeing the price of gas lately. Since my old wagon died earlier this year, I need a truck/suv soon. I’ll still keep my R1T reservation (not an early one anyway) and see where things are when the time finally comes. The hard part now is where to find a truck that is not over priced and actually on a dealer lot this summer.
This is what I did a couple of weeks ago (except I got the Defender instead of a truck). The Model3 was great at showing me the EV world is for me, but it didn't fit my lifestyle and I wasn't going through another winter with it.
Sponsored