Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES350, Corvette Z06, Colorado, Smart
Occupation
I do what I want
From RJ Friday 7/16/2021

"We know you can’t wait to get behind the wheel of your vehicle. Earlier this summer, we announced that deliveries would begin in July; however, the timing for the first deliveries of the R1T has shifted to September, with the R1S shortly thereafter in the fall. I wanted to be sure you heard this from me directly."

Rivian R1T R1S RJ Scaringe: first Rivian R1T deliveries delayed from July 2021 until September 216534502_10159418033564603_290004884768335016_n
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

psyca

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti G37 (IPL), Subaru Crosstrek
Obviously this sucks to hear, but I'm still very excited to get my R1T. Hopefully with this the ramp up the communication a bit, since that was explicitly called out, but otherwise an extra 3 months (from original June) is not going to change my thoughts that we will be getting some awesome vehicles from Rivian.

ActionDH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Suburban, 2019 BMW M5
Well now they should release everything they possibly can about vehicle details, colors, options etc. If it’s simply a supply chain issue or assembly line mechanical issue as stated on the FB post than there should be no reason not to release that information. Send out some material with true color swatches ffs.

giraffesR1T

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, C3 Corvette
Occupation
IT
Well now they should release everything they possibly can about vehicle details, colors, options etc. If it’s simply a supply chain issue or assembly line mechanical issue as stated on the FB post than there should be no reason not to release that information. Send out some material with true color swatches ffs.
I think this is a very valid point. I would love to hear more info if this is merely a supply chain issue.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Exactly. The fact that we STILL don't know squat about the infotainment system is proof (in my eyes) that Rivian wouldn't be ready, even without chip shortages or factory problems.

You still can't post a video of someone interacting with the infotainment system and demoing the features? REALLY??

Sponsored

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

I think this is a very valid point. I would love to hear more info if this is merely a supply chain issue.
Likely not - as referenced in the letter of why they aren't delivering yet. Some quality issues remain.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

As bad as this looks regarding Rivian and timelines, it looks pretty good to me regarding Rivian quality, integrity, and owner experience.

I say that because they could’ve hand built a few vehicles and delivered them before the end of the month to technically meet the revised deadline. Rather than deliver to employees for show or to external customers without service center support, they decided to delay again. They could’ve even worked out a deal with Bezos for Blue Origin to buy some for delivery this month and called it a victory, even if those vehicles just got parked in a warehouse.

I don’t like the delay but I think they made the right decision for long-term perceptions.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Figured I’d go ahead and update my delivery tracker:

• Sometime in 2020 -> Really meant December 2020
  • December 2020 -> Really meant June 2021
  • June 2021 -> Really meant July 2021
  • July 2021 -> Really meant September 2021
  • Sept 2021-> Really means ??????

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Well, the camel's back finally broke. We have been waiting through repeated delays for both our Lucid Air Dream Edition and our Rivian R1S.

The extended warranty runs out tomorrow on our 2015 Tesla Model S, and we were at the Tesla service center yesterday to pick the car up from its last round of warranty repairs (tire pressure monitoring system and charger error codes). A couple was taking delivery on a beautiful white Model S Long Range (with the updated interior and exterior and the same power as the outgoing Performance version). We ordered the exact same car on the spot.

Our plan had been to trade the Tesla on whichever car came first from Lucid or Rivian and just buy the other vehicle straight out. As I'm more willing to wait to get the Lucid than the Rivian at this point, our two new EVs will now be the Lucid and Tesla, and we'll keep the Honda minivan for at least the next product cycle.

I had wanted the Rivian with the 180-kWh battery pack, anyway. When the Launch Edition was announced without it, I had decided to take the mid-size pack in order to get the R1S sooner. At this point, I'll wait until I can actually test drive a Rivian and then -- when the long-range version eventually arrives -- I'll make the decision whether to trade the Honda for the Rivian and make the final transition to an all-EV household.

There's no acrimony in any of this. I accept Rivian's reasons for delay and understand them. But I'm just exhausted from what is nearing a 3-year wait for both the Lucid and the Rivian and need to move on.

boneil1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
I'm fine with the delays, I'm late to the party and didn't expect a R1T till next year anyways, but, there is something concerning to me about the timing. We knew about the virus and semi issues months ago, the whole world knew. The delay due to the virus, and semi shortages should have been announced months ago, not weeks after telling us deliveries would start in July. This delay announcement comes at a time when we know they are testing battery range. Makes me wonder.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Annnd...I am getting a 4Runner for my adventures until the R1T is delivered...shouldn't lose any value when i sell it for when Rivian arrives. Frustrating, sure....but I know that what RJ really meant to say was "we just can't get that damn charging door to align correctly....should have it ready by September" :p

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
This is very disappointing. I get that production woes are a thing. That's not my issue. It's the timing of their communications I'm beginning to grow very concerned and wary of. Again, I get it: We got news that once again this is going to get delayed, but to air this mid of the month the release schedule was pushed back to? Terrible timing. If they knew this, they should have given a lot more heads up notice than mid-July.

I do like this company a lot, but they're really need to work on the timing of their communication. At this point I'd take them saying it's going to release 2022 and then surprise us early than keep dangling that fruit in front of again just to yoink it away a the last second over and over. Frustration levels are rising and if Rivian doesn't grasp this, they're going to inadvertently lose more LE pre-order holders (something that I do not wish to see).

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, eGolf
Annnd...I am getting a 4Runner for my adventures until the R1T is delivered...shouldn't lose any value when i sell it for when Rivian arrives. Frustrating, sure....but I know that what RJ really meant to say was "we just can't get that damn charging door to align correctly....should have it ready by September" :p
This is what I did a couple of months ago, specifically because it will hold value. From what my dealer told me you may have a hard time finding a 4WD on a lot today, but hopefully that was just sales BS.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Not surprised and not overly stressed about it. I am bummed that the August Tours are now being pushed to September or beyond.

Rivian does need to step up the communication about the trucks to get people excited again. Range, UI, Trucks actually painted in the real colors, infotainment, virtual tours of the factory, production lines, showrooms/service centers, RAN locations, how to put the tent up, whatever.
Sponsored