Sponsored

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Agreed. That would be some tough to reach cargo space if they turned it into a "tub". However, I doubt they would just waste extra space though...who knows.
That is exactly what they did with the 5 seat Model X. They created a tub where the 3rd would have been. My Y has a tub where the 3rd would be as well, but smaller.
Rivian R1T R1S RJ posts interior video of R1S w/ seats folded flat Screenshot 2021-03-12 11.14.24
Sponsored

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
I think they are referring to the 2.9 inches of extra head room. I posted specs I got from CS in a chat a couple of weeks ago. The Cargo Hight difference between the 5 and 7 seat configurations is 70 mm

ā€¢ The cargo floor length behind third-row seats is 553 mm.
ā€¢ The cargo width behind third-row seats is 1298 mm.
ā€¢ The cargo floor length behind second-row seats is 1353 mm.
ā€¢ The cargo width behind the second-row seats is 1298 mm.
ā€¢ The cargo width minimum with 5 passenger seating is 1151 mm.
ā€¢ The cargo height with 7-passenger seating is 855 mm.

ā€¢ The cargo height with 5-passenger seating is 925 mm.

ā€¢ The cargo width minimum and maximum ranges from 1084-1496 mm.
ā€¢ The cargo volume behind the third-row seats is 499 liters.
ā€¢ The cargo volume behind the second-row seats with the third row folded is 1323 liters.
ā€¢ The cargo volume behind the first-row seats with the second and third-row seats folded down is 2499 liters.
I am trying to envision how that would work while maintaining a flat cargo area. I would assume that the 2nd row would stay at the same level, so how would they increase the height of the cargo area with a flat floor all the way to the back of the car?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I am trying to envision how that would work while maintaining a flat cargo area. I would assume that the 2nd row would stay at the same level, so how would they increase the height of the cargo area with a flat floor all the way to the back of the car?
I am with you on that. I can't imagine the Second row is different in the 5 passenger than the 7 but the only way it makes sense is if it folds differently and drops when folded. Maybe that is the reason the 5 seat is not available at launch, might be significantly different build and not simply a bolt in of the third row instead of a cover.

I was a bit surprised when they gave me these numbers and I saw the difference.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
This came out of the Rivian Guides video, but check out the slick catch design:

GoWest!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & R1S
I bought a LR Discovery as a bridge vehicle to the Rivian & comparatively the Rivian is much better than the LR. The Discovery has so many gaps and holes when the seats are down....my dog is rightly paranoid in back. Of course, if he had his way, he'd have all 80 lbs sitting on my lap in the driver's seat.
I did the same exact thing!!!

Itā€™s in the shop right now - no joke - with a broken window regulator (with the window all the way down in 40ish degree weather), and an infotainment system that keeps rebooting itself.

I pray Rivianā€™s quality is as good as Iā€™m hoping.

GoWest!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & R1S
Fantastic engineering programs. My younger brother went to UT because they accepted him into engineering but A&M didn't...then decided the curriculum detracted from his college experience & changed to political science.

I currently have 3 white vehicles, so it would be a big shift for me to go with a different color!
Gig ā€˜Em Aggies!!
Sponsored