Sponsored

RJ Appears to Confirm R1X (Jeep Fighter) Will Be Next Product

P.S.Mangelsdorf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1940 Chevy EV conversion, 2017 Challenger (daily)
Occupation
Consultant
In talking with MotorTrend, RJ appeared to accidentally confirm the R1X is up next. Relevant section is below, but lots of other good info in the article.
MotorTrend expects the growing Rivian model line to include the R1X, a slightly smaller, performance SUV designed to take on the Jeep Wrangler, the Land Rover Defender, and even the Porsche Cayenne. Our information indicates the R1X would be a two-row, performance version of the R1S, its electric motors generating 1,200 hp and 1,200 lb-ft of torque with the help of carbon-fiber sleeves (think of the units in the Tesla Model S Plaid that allows its motor rotors to spin at a high speed). It would use battery systems and powertrains built in-house. Currently, Rivian gets its motors and battery cells from suppliers but inverters, gearboxes, and battery packs are handled internally. Scaringe wants more of the core competencies brought in-house.

Asked directly about the R1X, Scaringe acted surprised. "Did I tell you about that?" He then said, "there are going to be additional variants, but we haven't said anything about them yet."

But he said after driving the R1T, one can easily imagine how the capability can be applied to other vehicles. Having driven a prototype rivian r1t across the country, on the Trans-America Trail, which is a grueling off-road trek, MotorTrend can easily imagine an adroit Wrangler fighter from the electric automaker.
Rivian Might Build an Electric Jeep Wrangler Fighter (motortrend.com)
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

OP
OP

P.S.Mangelsdorf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1940 Chevy EV conversion, 2017 Challenger (daily)
Occupation
Consultant
The "Did I tell you about that?" seems to perfectly fit his personality (at least what we've seen reported). He is so excited about the launch that he can't remember if he let slip what they are working on.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
In talking with MotorTrend, RJ appeared to accidentally confirm the R1X is up next. Relevant section is below, but lots of other good info in the article.

Our information indicates the R1X would be a two-row, performance version of the R1S, its electric motors generating 1,200 hp and 1,200 lb-ft of torque with the help of carbon-fiber sleeves

1200 HP? Holy, moly - maybe I'll finally be able to get my Z4 back from my daughter.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I
We're gonna need to conspire to all ask RJ pointed questions about made-up things to see which he accidentally confirms
I wonder how well he responds to "Bob". Could confuse him into answering questions he shouldn't be.

roth_nj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
mechanical engineer
We're gonna need to conspire to all ask RJ pointed questions about made-up things to see which he accidentally confirms
I’d like a roadster based on the same platform as the 2 seater jeep type suv… makes sense to me

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Lame as it may be, I’ve been hoping their next offering would be a more sedate 2-row version of the R1S to compete with the Subaru Forester, Range Rover Evoque, Volvo XC40, etc… Those are all pretty different vehicles, but I think a Rivian of that size and stature would get looks from buyers in all those segments, especially if it comes in around $20k below the base R1S price.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Hmmm, based on that info doesn't seem like it'd be a more affordable vehicle. If anything sounds like it'd be more expensive since they are building more of the core components in-house. I was hoping they would next offer a cheaper truck or SUV. $70K-$90K makes the current vehicles in-accessible for most households.

Sponsored

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Lame as it may be, I’ve been hoping their next offering would be a more sedate 2-row version of the R1S to compete with the Subaru Forester, Range Rover Evoque, Volvo XC40, etc… Those are all pretty different vehicles, but I think a Rivian of that size and stature would get looks from buyers in all those segments, especially if it comes in around $20k below the base R1S price.
I had ben considering waiting for such an offering, but one of the articles said today that quad motor is going to be reserved for the R1 series. So while a slightly smaller R2S SUV would be a better size for me, I will probably go with the R1S if I go with Rivian. The quad motor aspect is just a killer advantage.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
This could have changed of course but what we'd heard prior to this is that the lifted rally car "R2R" was the next project (per RJ at one point IIRC - wherever he describes performance as being "bananas"). And after that we'd see an R2S (I think per some magazine article) and some other R2 model. I think multiple sources had the next 3 models being R2s (smaller frames - more affordable than R1s, at least two of the models).

Given that their IPO seems like it's all about expanding globally, starting with Europe and Asia (they weren't asking for half the money they got just to get rolling in the US), I'd be surprised if their next focus wasn't on a smaller, more euro-friendly, model. I personally always found it odd they were talking this lifted rally thing before a smaller SUV. An R2S is basically their model 3 waiting to happen.

Maybe Motortrend knows something we don't. Sometimes the forum fans know more though. We've been paying closer/undivided attention longer.

Something Wrangler/Bronco-ish does seem like a no-brainer though. Smart magazine editors learn to ask questions about no-brainers as if they'd been talked about already : )

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I saw it done by pros in the gaming industry : ) "So what was it somebody was telling me about that obvious feature in that obvious sequel to that obvious hit game to make a sequel to that you haven't actually admitted exists yet?"

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I had ben considering waiting for such an offering, but one of the articles said today that quad motor is going to be reserved for the R1 series. So while a slightly smaller R2S SUV would be a better size for me, I will probably go with the R1S if I go with Rivian. The quad motor aspect is just a killer advantage.
I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. Reducing the motors from 4 to 2 would reduce cost and extend range, but both are only true if the vehicle in questions is FWD or RWD. Making a dual-motor AWD vehicle would require development of many new components (rear diff, front diff, and associated parts). So I think cost savings from a dual motor setup only exists as FWD or RWD, and these are unlikely to appeal to an “adventurous” consumer, considering that similar outdoor rooted brands like Subaru and Land Rover offer 4WD or AWD standard. Therefore, I would anticipate that any Rivian variant would be quad-motor, with a slight premium over a dual-motor AWD alternative offered by the competition. Any savings in price would stem from material savings in slightly smaller motors, battery, and interior trim/finish.

Ah, it’s fun to speculate about how decisions are made in the board room.