Sponsored

RJ: “Really high performance drive unit” unannounced

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Here's a question...

Will the performance Rivian be available with the Max Pack and what will it's range be?

My guess is Yes, but it'll only get 350 miles.

I'm totally shooting from the hip on this one, but if 22" wheel nets 360 miles on the Max pack dual motor, would a quad motor performance get equal, more or less miles? I say less despite additional drive units aiding in efficiency (4 better the 2).

It would be amazing if the R1T/S Performance got 400 miles.
Sponsored

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

They are supposed to be shutting down the plant for some upgrades early next year. My guess has been that it includes changes necessary for this quad powerplant since the packaging is going to take up more room than the Bosch quad. We should see the first customer ones roll off the line easily within a few months of that shutdown if they don't have problems.
Ah, yes. This timing makes sense. I remember the previous communication about the assembly line shut down. Thanks for the reminder.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Why do you assume the packaging will be bigger than the current Bosch setup?
I don’t know the technical reasons for this, but the in-house, Enduro motors are larger than the Bosch motors.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Why do you assume the packaging will be bigger than the current Bosch setup?
Stators appear to be larger and the Rivian patent actually shows motors driving the opposite side. IE, motor is physically on the driver side of the vehicle but the gear box is oriented to send power to passenger side. If that's how these are getting built it's because they couldn't make them fit the same way the Bosch ones are because of their size.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I assume then the Bosch arrangement becomes discontinued. Makes no sense otherwise. Maybe a pay wall for the ultra HP levels and lower price point for the more standard levels of 850hp or something. Don't need 3 different drivetrains in a production plant.

ChampagneUnicorn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (preorder), XC90 Recharge, 65 Riviera GS
Occupation
Gnome Figurine Day Trader
Clubs

This is the reason solely I will continue to hold a blank Rivian (for an R1S though I have an R1T already) reservation for the foreseeable future. My guide told me awhile back, any reservation can apply to any vehicle they make. Just gotta have one in my back pocket cuz you never know what might pop up..

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Ah, yes. This timing makes sense. I remember the previous communication about the assembly line shut down. Thanks for the reminder.
I thought they were shutting down in Q4 this year for some changes - like the system communication (wireless) improvements, maybe PTC.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I thought they were shutting down in Q4 this year for some changes - like the system communication (wireless) improvements, maybe PTC.
Yes, that’s certainly a possibility, too. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I thought they announced 4th qtr as well for R1 line to integrate LFP and dual motor but then after setting up the EDV line that they said the R1 line shutdown would not be needed as the integration was a smaller impact.

I should have saved those off when I read them as I cannot find either of those statements now and am not certain I am remembering either of them correctly.

OP
OP

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I thought they announced 4th qtr as well for R1 line to integrate LFP and dual motor but then after setting up the EDV line that they said the R1 line shutdown would not be needed as the integration was a smaller impact.

I should have saved those off when I read them as I cannot find either of those statements now and am not certain I am remembering either of them correctly.
R1 to get LFP standard pack in mid 2024

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I assume then the Bosch arrangement becomes discontinued. Makes no sense otherwise. Maybe a pay wall for the ultra HP levels and lower price point for the more standard levels of 850hp or something. Don't need 3 different drivetrains in a production plant.
4.5s 0-60 for standard Enduro
3.5s 0-60 for enhanced Enduro
2.5s 0-60 for quad Enduro would be amazing.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
And I am guessing physically the standard and enhanced Enduro would be same. Just unlock higher performance with a software switch that can be purchased at anytime after sale maybe.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I am surprised by the 3.5 seconds estimated. Since the existing quad motor is more like 3.1/3.2 seconds on sport wheels. The enhanced enduro is closer to the standard enduro than the quad (100hp/100 lb/ft more than standard but over 100hp/200lb ft less than quad). So I would expect a time more like 4 seconds which is still very fast for the class of vehicle.
Sponsored