Self-Employed: Real Estate Management

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Great set up here, man. Have you done any rough driving with the phone mounted, yet? I worry that magsafe can't hold up to off-roading.
The Peak Design case with the Peak Design charger is a great combo. I haven’t had a chance to go off-roading yet with the new truck but certainly did with my Tacoma Pro and never had issues at high offroad speed or rock crawling.

If you’re worried you could look at the perfect squeeze from Hondo Garage. They have a wireless charging option. Beyond solid off road. What it was build for.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Hey there - that mount used a 17MM ball, not the 1" version. The only brand that uses the 1" ball are the RAM mounts.
Oh, now I feel like a dumb dumb. I ordered the wrong version, my bad.

Sponsored

bdavis171

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I think it comes down to the tolerances in each vehicle, the original 1in ball mount would almost fall out of the mounting location if i had the long arm on it.

But the "Pro" version is tight enough for my truck to support a Ram 1in Long Arm mount (6") with very little movement while driving around.

IMG_8956.jpg
Have anymore picture of the back of this mount or how it looks with the phone in place? Trying to figure out how to make it work with my peak design charger

tiltedandsaltyaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

i didn't use the charger, i used the wall mount only so it was flat already and i glued it to a flat plate w/ 1in ball mount

SilverGhost

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Systems Engineering Manager - Veh Data Acquisition Software
Let me know if anyone is interested in the 3D model re-design I did.

Rivian R1T R1S RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO 1 Inch Model PXL_20221120_140150511

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

@RWerksman - I ended up ordering a 3.75" extension off of ebay. It mounts at about a 20? degree angle to the right, away from the steering column. The positioning is much better but the extra joint has introduced more movement than the original setup. Any chance you'd consider integrating this into your design? Check out the placement here. This keeps the phone visible above and to the right of the steering wheel and drive stalk. What do you think?

Rivian R1T R1S RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO 1 Inch Model 20221122_222534

Rivian R1T R1S RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO 1 Inch Model 20221122_222546

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
@RWerksman - I ended up ordering a 3.75" extension off of ebay. It mounts at about a 20? degree angle to the right, away from the steering column. The positioning is much better but the extra joint has introduced more movement than the original setup. Any chance you'd consider integrating this into your design? Check out the placement here. This keeps the phone visible above and to the right of the steering wheel and drive stalk. What do you think?
Long story sort is that I've considered it and decided that I can't. The design is supposed to be pretty universal - for better or for worse. There are literally hundreds of different mounts on Amazon alone that people could potentially purchase and use with this, and it should be a common platform for each.

Additionally, there are tortional strain issues with adding in elevation to the mount. These are printed basically bottom to top. Adding more layers and putting the ball mount on the top of mount, then attaching a phone to that introduces a lateral strain that pulls one layer apart from another leading to failure of the mount and other potentially unintended consequences.

I have however started to experiment with moving the ball mount to where the nub is next to the infotainment screen (like at the very edge) but I'm not sold that this is better or it's what people are asking for.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Hello my dudes!

Just a quick heads up that the changes which were initially rolled out in the 17MM version (detail here) have been rolled into the 1" version as well as of today. Any changes are basically unnoticeable.

The designs on Thingiverse will be updated soon as well.

sorenson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just wanted to check to see if you’ve had the chance to update the Thingiverse files yet? Thanks!

Hello my dudes!

Just a quick heads up that the changes which were initially rolled out in the 17MM version (detail here) have been rolled into the 1" version as well as of today. Any changes are basically unnoticeable.

The designs on Thingiverse will be updated soon as well.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Just wanted to check to see if you’ve had the chance to update the Thingiverse files yet? Thanks!
Not yet. I'm planning on migrating them to Printables per a few requests.