First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
So, you'll need to print it with PETG, not PLA, as PLA deforms at a very low temperature. You'll also need some supports, but I've worked quite hard to eliminate those as much as possible / make them easy to remove.

Regarding the ball, you don't want a perfectly smooth one. Most of those that come out of the box with mounts have some sort of texture to increase grip. As texture is VERY hard to do on a 3D printed product, I've opted for a little geometry instead. After a bunch of testing, what you see is just about as optimal as I can get. Also, the ball mount in what I've provided is slightly over 17MM as I've seen a considerable amount of very small variation in the size of the 17MM "standard" too.
Good point about the surface texture. I imagine my first few prints will be … imperfect. : )
I'm going to use this as a "teaching" exercise with the kids. Something practical instead of printing for the sake of learning to print something.
I imagine you've already seen the rack carriers and the phone holders for the charging pad.
You mentioned publishing the STL, where do I find it?
e.g. https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=rivian

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Good point about the surface texture. I imagine my first few prints will be … imperfect. : )
I'm going to use this as a "teaching" exercise with the kids. Something practical instead of printing for the sake of learning to print something.
I imagine you've already seen the rack carriers and the phone holders for the charging pad.
You mentioned publishing the STL, where do I find it?
e.g. https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=rivian

Thanks!
All of my designs are posted here: https://www.thingiverse.com/rwerksman/designs

92se-r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Cant seem to find the STL files. Do you have the direct link to them? Thanks!

Hello my dudes!

Today I'd like to officially announce the second RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO - the 1 Inch Model. STL files have been posted for it and you can preorder it NOW at the same price as the 1" Cell Phone Ball Mount V2 - $14.50. Shipments will start the second week of November, about 4-5 days after the 17MM PRO model starts heading out the door.

Buy Link - https://riviparts.com/#phonepro

The 1" cell phone ball mount has also been on sale on RIVIPARTS for the last few months and is the slightly larger version of the mount Youtuber (@branden called part of, "The Best Rivian Phone Mount Available Today". This larger version needed to be more reworked than the 17MM model, but I think the gains are also greater:
  1. There is now a significant larger, slightly angled contact area with the rear of the infotainment screen. This results in a more secure fit with less wobble, especially when offroad - a bigger deal for the 1" model.
  2. The ball mount being moved upward and toward the center of the vehicle for less obstruction from the steering wheel. The is more pronounced on the 1" model as the prior design required it to be on the bottom of the mount, and now it's at the top! Like the 17MM model, it doesn't completely remove the obstruction, but does make it incrementally better.
  3. A 'flipped' design that put the support on the bottom of the mount to better hide rough edges due to it's removal.
  4. Similar enhanced ergonomics of the ball to allow phone holders to get a better, more secure grip.
  5. Tweaked design for faster, easier, printing. (despite more material in the design - this allows me to keep the same price)
  6. A reduction in inlayed branding. (no more MK or size labels, the naming is ever so slightly smaller, and nothing continues to be visible when installed)
A few photos of the prototypes, first with comparison to the smaller 17MM model:

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

Now with comparison to the older 1" model:
IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_0951.JPG

(the angle on this one is a bit weird as the top of the mount is facing the right of the photo. Left is the new version, mount now located at the top.)

Prior posted images are still valid here:
IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

Finally, one with all of the old and new parts together in one last family photo, newer versions in the center:

IMG_0946.JPG

Like the smaller mount, I would classify these as an evolutionary upgrade to an already good product. I'm updating the naming of the product due to the change in visible appearance and better capability in more aggressive driving scenarios like racing or off-roading. A few additional notes in no particular order:
  • If you already have a 1" ball mount, and it's working great for you, there is no reason at all to upgrade. If you still want to upgrade, message me on RIVIPARTS and you can have the new version at half price.
  • If you have a 3D printer, I strongly encourage you to print your own. The links to the STL files are linked in my signature.
  • If you have a reasonably sized YouTube channel, Twitter or whatever that mentions Rivian message me and I'll send over a few things, including one of these. My hope is that stuff like this will help get more attention to the Rivian aftermarket in general, which benefits us all as owners.
As always - your feedback is very, very welcome. (good, bad, or otherwise) That's how this update was made, how the MagSafe Pad Replacement was developed, the Aux CupHolder was pushed into production, and how the Seatback Tablet Holder (BIG UPDATE ON THIS TOMORROW!) is being revised for an upcoming release.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
The link to all of my STL files, including those for the PRO items are in the post above yours.

Tonicart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Will this work with RAM mounts that use a clamp type mechanism or will that crush the plastic ball?

Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Will this work with RAM mounts that use a clamp type mechanism or will that crush the plastic ball?
Can you link me toward what you're referencing? If you're referring to something like the below, you'll be fine. The ball does well with crush forces, but I urge you to please be mindful as to what can reasonably be hung off a friction fit mount.

If you have questions about a specific application, feel free to DM me.

Rivian R1T R1S RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO 1 Inch Model _ball_mirror_mount_1596028392_cf61f6b0_progressive

Tonicart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Can you link me toward what you're referencing? If you're referring to something like the below, you'll be fine. The ball does well with crush forces, but I urge you to please be mindful as to what can reasonably be hung off a friction fit mount.

If you have questions about a specific application, feel free to DM me.

Yep, that's it. Just a phone and phone mount. I already have the RAM system from previous vehicles and that looks like a good fit. Just concerned that the RAM system uses a rubber coated metal ball. The slick plastic with the powder coated metal clamp may be slippery?

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Yep, that's it. Just a phone and phone mount. I already have the RAM system from previous vehicles and that looks like a good fit. Just concerned that the RAM system uses a rubber coated metal ball. The slick plastic with the powder coated metal clamp may be slippery?
What I've found is the striation lines from 3D printing combined with the small amount of geometry that I built into the ball makes it more grippy than what you would expect.

Depending on how you install the arm off of the ball will also play into this as well. Most people I've seen try to get the phone higher to clear the obscurity from the steering wheel. In that case, the majority of the weight of the phone and mount is pressing down on the top of the ball (or close to it) which works well.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
FYI - Coupon codes for those who want to upgrade to the PRO model have been posted on RIVIPARTS.com. It will only work if you have previously purchased a non-PRO model.

It also looks like the 1" model will start to ship earlier than expected.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
The 1" Phone Mount PRO is in stock now as they arrived Friday - a few days ahead of schedule. All orders with these have been shipped unless they have another item backordered.

If you were waiting on placing your order until they were in stock, the time has arrived.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

tjMRL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tacoma
Clubs

Does everyone own an iphone?
Any suggestions for phone mounts for Pixel 6Pro that works with your mount?
Thanks.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Nice. Will definitely get one once I receive my R1S a year from now!

luriaj

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Datsun 269Z
To Riviparts:

Just got my Ball mount pro...This thing is brilliant...Thanks!

ps. I tried to send you props through the "contact" portion of your website and could not get it to work
Sponsored